What If I Can't Forget You?

And baby you'll be alright as long as I'm not.

It was a Friday when my friend Ashley called me. Honestly, I hadn't called her in more than six months, and I didn't really feel the need to stay in touch with her. I guess that now that I was with Mike, and his friends were mine too, I didn't even want to go back to my old life. Because all my friends knew Sam, my ex boyfriend, and were friends with him, too.
”Hello?” I answered the phone, not knowing who was calling me yet.
”Hey Sophie!” I heard Ashley's excited voice.
”How are you, babe? I haven't seen you in months!”
”I'm fine, just living my life. What about you?” I asked, you know, just to be polite.
”I'm getting married!”
”You are? Who's the lucky man?” I asked. I didn't even know she was seeing someone. And now, suddenly, she was about to get married.
”Sam's friend, Freddie! You know him, don't you? Well we met and I knew it was love at first sight...” I didn't pay much attention to whatever she was saying, because I really didn't care.

When I put my phone away I sighed. I had promised to meet her today. I didn't know why I did it, but I shouldn't have done it. Because she was only going to ask me 1 000 000 questions about why I left Sam. She was going to ask me where I lived and I was going to have to tell her about Mike. She had been a fan of Pierce The Veil and she was going to freak out.

As I was driving to the café where I was supposed to meet Ashley, Mike called me.
”Where are you?” He asked as soon as I had picked up.
”I'm going to go meet Ashley,” I said.
”Well... Can I borrow your car?” He asked. ”Vic took mine...”
”Uh well... Fine. But you have to pick me up, when I want to go home!” I said. He promised to meet me at the café in fifteen minutes.

As I was sitting at the table and waiting for Ashley to come, my phone rang. It was Mike once again. He told me to meet me at the parking lot, so I went there. On my way there I ran into Ashley.
”Sophie? Where are you going?” She asked as she took off her sunglasses.
”I, er, I have to give the keys to my car to my, umm, boyfriend,” I muttered and walked past her, but she kept following me. I didn't want her to see Mike, because she couldn't control herself once she met a famous person. She came after me to my car, where Mike was standing, leaning against the car.
”Is that...” She couldn't even finish, when she let out a scream. Mike looked confused, while I was rolling my eyes.
”Mike, this is Ashley.” I muttered as I handed him the keys. Mike wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer so that he could kiss me.
”Are you dating Mike Fuentes?” Ashley asked and looked at us. I nodded.
”How did you ever find a man like that?” She asked and winked at Mike. Oh god...
”Doesn't matter, now let's go,” I pulled away from Mike just to grab Ashley's arm. I began to pull her inside.
”See you later, babe!” Mike shouted after me.

When we got inside, and sat down, Ashley started to tell me about how lovely Freddie was. He was, apparently, everything she had wanted and more. She eventually started to talk about Sam, which made me feel uncomfortable.
”And I never really understood why you broke up. I mean, is it true that you cheated on him?” She asked. I was about to choke on the water which I had been trying to swallow. Did everyone think now that I was a cheater?
”I, er...” I didn't really know what to say. Because, after all, I was a cheater. I had cheated on Sam.
”Well, what does it even matter? You seem to be happy with Mike now,” She said then.
”So, umm, when's the big day?” I asked. Well of course I was trying to change the subject.
”Next month! You should come too. And bring Mike with you,” She said with a smile.
”I don't think that's a good idea...”
”Why not?”
”Well, Sam's going to be there too and... Yeah,” I mumbled.
”Oh... Well, okay.”

About an hour later Ashley had to leave, so I went to sit on the parking lot. I called Mike and he promised to pick me up soon. When he came, I got into the car but he didn't start driving right away.
”Well?” I asked as he didn't do anything but stare at me with a smile on his face.
”Don't I get a kiss?” He mumbled and cupped my cheek with his hand.
”Jesus,” I muttered and reached up to kiss him quickly. Not that I didn't want to kiss him, I just didn't like to do it in public. Sure, Mike was used to all the attention, but I wasn't. I didn't want people to know who I kissed and when I did it. It wasn't any of their problem anyway.
”You're lame,” He said when he pulled away and began to drive home.
”Because I don't want to make out with you in a car, in the middle of a parking lot?” I asked.
”Exactly.”
”Well I'm sorry.”
”Don't be so irritable,” He said and patted my thigh.
”I wasn't,” I muttered and looked out of the window.
”What's wrong?” He asked. I wasn't exactly sure what was wrong. I was feeling annoyed but I didn't know why. Maybe it was because I had realized that I didn't have my own friends anymore. But then again, did I even want to have so many friends?
”Nothing,” I said.
”You sure?”
”Yes.”
”Look, Soph, I'm only saying this because I love you. But... There are days when you are yourself; happy and all positive. But then, suddenly you become cranky and all.” I turned to look at him, but he kept his eyes on the road. Was I really like that? Everyone has their bad moments, don't they?
”Really?” I asked and cocked a brow.
”Yeah, and I don't know why. You just don't seem to be yourself... And you change so fast, that I can't even realize it.”
”Well... I'm sorry?” I didn't think it was some sort of a problem, but obviously it was to Mike. Maybe he didn't want a girlfriend like that.