Sessions Spent Alive

Trial

Daisy Wick had always been sort of a loud mouth type. She always was talking, she could never stop. Which is why she wanted to tell everyone that Lance was dating some bitch he picked up in her yoga class. But to be quite frank, no one listened to her at the Jeffersonian, unless it had to do with Bones – they didn’t care.

She had been working alone that day because Dr. Brennan had to prepare for a large arson case that was going to trial the next day. Dr. Brennan had helped identify two siblings, a girl and a boy who had perished in the flames.

Daisy had finally found some odd fractures on the tibia of the skeleton they were currently working on. So she returned to Brennan’s office to find that she had disappeared. Daisy sat and figited, she bit her lip and twiddled her thumbs while she tried to wait for Brennan to return to check her work.

“Stupid Lance, she’s not even that pretty. And I’m probably so much better in bed because I’m at a higher level of yoga. And her hair? Does she even take care of it?”

“Ms. Wick I hope you’re not talking to me.”

“Oh no, Dr. Brennan,” Daisy said standing, “just myself.”

“Did you know that’s a form of psychosis?” Brennan asked her.

“I uh – I thought –“ Daisy began, “I found some hairline fractures I thought you’d want to see!” Daisy finally announced. Brennan dropped several files while trying not to seem too excited.

“Sorry Ms. Wick, but that is great news!”

Daisy giggled, “I thought so!” she said bending down to help her gather the files. She stacked papers on top of each other trying her best to keep them in their original order. Then she saw the picture of the dark hair girl she recognized from her yoga class, the girl she’d seen with Lance… in a case file.
__________________________________________________

Daisy had to make up some excuse to leave early enough to catch Lance before he went home for the evening. She was waiting at his car in the parking garage waiting for him to appear. Eventually he did, and she recognized the irritation on his face, but he also saw the anger on hers.

“I know who she is.” Daisy called out.

Lance slowly made his way to the car, hesitant of what was running through Daisy’s mind, had she already called his boss? Had she told Booth and Brennan? Lance quietly stepped in front of her, he made no emotion cross his face while he waited to hear what Daisy actually knew.

“I haven’t told anyone, but I will. What where you thinking Lance?”

Lance didn’t take kindly to Daisy’s attempt at threatening him. He reacted coldly, and blindly. “Daisy, why don’t you stay out of other peoples business?” he asked her. “We weren’t together, so I never cheated. You chose your job over me, why can’t I choose mine?”

“You can’t date patients!” she exclaimed.

“Right, I’m not supposed to – and in a few weeks she won’t be my patient anymore. But I don’t care what you do to me anymore, but you will not control me by threatening me. If your going to tell them, let them know after tomorrows trial, and I’ll happily get fired.”

“Why would you-“

“I want to see the guy get put away. Don’t jeopardize that.”

“The trial would only get postponed.”

“Which is another thing she doesn’t need, more time to wait until he’s out away. She’s been through hell Daisy, and I won’t let you give her anymore.”

Daisy left Lance with an unhappy look. But the night became cold, and she felt very annoyed. He had chosen to give up his job over see her unhappy? Lance would’ve never allowed something like that to happen with Daisy, he always played by the rules.

Lance got in his car to the feeling of worry, he cared about his job he did. But if Tanna was worth what he though she was then – he’d take that chance. And Lance knew she especially deserved some peace.
__________________________________________________

The age-old ritual of waking up at dawn had never been one of Tanna’s particular favorites. But the trial started early, and she had to be there. She dressed in a penciled black shirt with a button down blouse in the very calming color light blue. Her hair had been curled just the other day and now soft waves could be found over her shoulders. She tousled the curls and added a little hair spray to tame the flyaway hairs. She put on patterned stockings and comfortable shoes while she listened to the hum of the radio.

Agent Bledsoe arrived at her apartment soon after she was ready to take her to the county court building. She sat in the back of a black SUV, belted to leather seats. She found that her stomach was unusually twisted. She hoped that the unpleasant feeling didn’t resonate onto her face. She looked calm, but inside she was screaming for someone to let her out of this predicament.

She couldn’t face him. Not after what he did. He was a man built out of pure anger and rage – and she had involved herself with him, and in turn he was involved with her family… her friends. Tanna missed her mother and brother, she wished more than anything that they would be sitting there encouraging her to do the right thing. But they weren’t… she was alone.

Tanna was seated in the courtroom near the front. There was still time before the trial, any many had not arrived yet. Her heart jumped slightly when Lance Sweets sat down beside her. He was causal, calm, here for her.

“You look a little scared.” He said.

“How’d you know?” she asked smiling.

“The paper in your hands, fidgeting with your hands points to anxiety.” He told her.

“Well that must be true.” She set aside the piece of paper and tried to focus on the rest of the room. It was hard, she could focus on anything.

“I don’t think I can do this.” She said.

“Tanna, you have to. For your friends.”

“But… what if I don’t do well, I’ll just be shaming them.”

“Which is exactly why you will do well, you wouldn’t let your friends down that way, you know that.” Lance handed her a tissue. “All you need to do is tell your story.”

“Can I… do I have time to use the restroom?” she asked.

“Of course.” Lance said, “Agent Bledsoe, if you would.”

Agent Bledsoe nodded and followed Tanna out of the courtroom. Lance caught the eye of Seeley Booth from across the room. Lance headed over to Booth and Dr. Brennan who both looked concerned.

“How’s the witness doing?” Booth asked.

“She’s a little shaken – doesn’t really want to go through with it.”

“Well she may not have to.” Booth said. “We just got word that something went wrong with the transport – the truck got here, but Jones wasn’t inside.”

“What’re you-“

“The prisoner got away Sweets, we don’t even know how.” Brennan said.

“So…then Tanna could be in trouble?” Lance asked.

“Well I doubt it,” Booth said, “Why would he take the bus all the way here and then disappear on the last act?”

“To get to the witness.” Brennan said. “Ms. Fleet is the only piece of evidence we need to make the case, if you get rid of her, you get rid of the entire case.”

“Where is she?” Booth asked Lance.

“She’s with Agent Bledsoe, down the hall.”

The three of them headed down the hall looking for anything suspicious or that could suggest Jones was there. All they could do was hope to find the Agent, and Tanna just fine. They were at the nearest bathroom, it was close to the courtroom, but down a quiet hall – there hadn’t appeared to be a disturbance.

Booth took one look at the woman’s door and rolled his eyes – he first peaked inside while drawing his gun.

“Wait here.” He said. Brennan persisted, but Booth was back before she had time to enter on her on accord. The three of them entered the lavatory and realized it was obvious someone had been here, hiding. Booth was not leaning down to check Agent Bledsoe’s pulse, one that Booth couldn’t find.

“Bones, he got the drop on us.” Booth said.

Lance frantically opened each stall door hoping he’s find Tanna still here, maybe a clue to where she was. But there was nothing, not a clue or a hint as to where she could be – he must’ve dragged her out of here without anyone even knowing. How he did that Lance, didn’t know. He just hoped she’s be alive long enough for them to find her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for taking so long, I will be finishing this story in two more chapters. Thanks for reading.