Sessions Spent Alive

Third Session

Dr. Sweets spent the afternoon waiting for the transport vehicle to arrive outside the prison gates. When it did he stepped inside the cold metal box he already felt uneasy, and as for what was to come - he would soon feel worse.

The grave digger sat before him. A twisted smile strung across her face - she stared into his eyes so pleased that they had allowed her request for psychological counseling during transport.
The time it took for her to say something menacing was short. Dr. Sweets although qualified and aware of every thought the grave digger might have - he found deep inside his soul, he was afraid. This woman had no moral or ethical boundaries. She was caught in her own web of destruction and deceit, and Dr. Sweet was unaware as to know someone could fathom a rational understanding of something so incredibly evil.

While Lance was internally trying to make sense of her evil, he was unaware that he was merely a pawn in the plan of the merciless woman. She planned to tear him apart mentally, stringing his psychology up so that he feared every sensible thought that clouded his mind, and when it came time to testify against her case... Dr. Sweets would be absent.

“sane, technically speaking. And you are not going to convince me otherwise if that’s your plan to win your appeal.” even before Sweets had finished speaking, he knew that he had let slip a fatal mistake on his part. Saying she was even slightly sane was stretching it - but psychologically he had to make that note.But even a note had a chance to overturn an appeal. And Dr. Sweets felt fearful when the smile played upon her lips once more. Dr. Sweets had admitted to the Gravedigger that there is a remote possibility that her conviction could be overturned. The psychiatrist was awfully close to the patient, an uncomfortable proximity.

The transport had arrived at the city court building. Through the grated windows he could make out Agent Booth and hundreds of angry protesters. While he paused to wonder why the transport was being diverted he didn't see the psychological artillery that was headed his way.

“I’m the lucky one, Lance. If my appeal falls through I die. But you’re forced to live everyday as a repressed immature individual spouting canned theories to people who don’t really care. Everyone knows who’s the weakest link in the chain. You testify at my appeal and I’m gonna walk.” her words began to sink into Dr. Sweets' very bones and shake. The rattling he could almost hear coming from his body, he quickly exited the vehicle as soon as he could.

"you alright? What'd she say to ya?" Booth asked helping him down from the step

"nothing. nothing worth repeating." he said back. he leaned against the cop car with flashing lights as the guards brought out the woman whom Dr. Sweets internally hated. Her words were something he'd heard before, but not in such a threatening sense - the worth he had given himself he had begun to question. Was he really strong? Because he knew he often felt weak.

It took only a split second more until the Gravedigger was gone from everyone's life completely the bullet from a long range sniper rifle pierced her skull causing it to rupture and explode. Brain matter scattered across those caught in the blast, and then blood began to pour into the street.
_____________________________________________________________________

Dr. Sweets wanted to cancel his next appointment. He wanted to be alone. The recorder in his hands replayed "Everyone knows who’s the weakest link in the chain"

the words had echoed in his head since he'd heard them from her own mouth. The button replayed. and replayed, and replayed.

He threw the recorder down and held his head in his hands. He wanted to cry - he wanted to be gone.

A knock came at the door.. Daisy of course. He waited for her to let herself in and when she did he felt nothing for her.

"My Lancelot. My poor Lancelot." she said frowning. He had previously found her childish ways cute - but as he had grown he grew from them, from her, from everything they shared.

He waited until she gave up on cheering him up, which she never did until his patient arrived. Tanna knocked and let herself in after neither Lance nor Daisy said anything. Daisy stood to shoo her out but Lance held her back.

"Daisy, I have work to attend to now. I will see you later." Daisy looked at the girl in front of her and almost scoffed in disgust. The tramp that Dr. Sweets was now treating seemed hopeless. Ugly hair, slutty clothes. She wanted to laugh but she left giggle free and went off to find Dr. Brennan.

"Please Ms. Fleet, let's begin." he motioned for her to sit before him, he hoped work would distract him from recent events. But he was very wrong when the recorder began playing from inside the couch. He had forgotten it was there - and there was no doubt, Tanna heard the words clearly even though muffled from beneath the cushions. She dug it out and the words began to ring clearer. Her voice, and his. Dr. Sweets took the recorder from her a stopped it immediately. He cleared his throat and began to treat and analyze her like he would any other patient. And Tanna had made a mental note of how easy going Dr. sweets had been and she noticed the sudden shift in professionalism had to do with that recording. She wasn't sure but she swore she could see sadness in his eyes.
______________________________________________________________________

The session ended early and as Tanna walked down the hall to the front doors she knew she had recognized something in her doctor. It was a feeling mixed with disgust as well as fear and anger. It was a perilous mixture and she felt inclined to assure him that he had in fact helped her... that she did care about his theories because she was listening. He had followed her out and taken a route other than hers. She was lucky to hear his name called between mutual acquaintances a parking garage would be where she'd find him. She spent time looking through the first level and almost gave up on the second when a car door shut grabbing her attention. Someone was leaving the passenger seat, while another sat in the front. She passed the other man and they each explained awkward glances. She found Dr. Sweets sitting in a nice blue car, again she saw the same recorder. She watched while he re-winded, and pressed play, and then repeated the process.

She smiled when his reaction to her spying played out across his face. He had an astounded look upon his face - she then let herself climb into the passenger seat.

"Tanna this is highly innapropriate."

"Dr. Sweets, calling me Tanna is highly inappropriate."

"What if someone sees you?"

"Then stop talking." she whispered, she turned her head looking for anyone in the vicinity. She shrugged her shoulders when she found no one.

"Tanna you can't-"

"See this?" she said holding out each arm showing him the deep marks she had once made.

"Tanna I know why you're in therapy."

"Do you?"

"I'm not sure I follow."

"Do you know why you're in therapy?"

"..." a puzzle look was all she found. she snatched the recorder from his hands and held it in her own, he tried to take it back but she gave him a look that he found intimidating.

"Because of this." she said moving her arms again. "She wasn't lucky Lance, she got her head blown off. You're no where near immature, with a doctorate you surpassed that long ago. And your theories? People who don't care? I care, I honestly do because twice now you have kept me from thinking of dying before I fall asleep. Twice now you've left me speechless in sessions because your theories are those of someone very wise. You are no weak link, and I'm tired of seeing you believe it." she stopped pressing record. And handed back the message that was now on there. She wasn't entirely sure he'd noticed, and she gave it back.

"Everyone keeps asking if I'm okay and- and I-" he began, but was shortly cut off by Tanna's lips against his. He kissed her back only for a moment before he pushed her away.

"And as for repressed...? Well maybe a little." Tanna said with a wink, she opened the door and slowly walked away from the speechless doctor in the car.