Sessions Spent Alive

Fourth Session

Dr. Sweets drove home that night completely astounded that a patient had kissed him. He wanted to report it, and have her transferred, that was the right thing to do – but if they both agreed to say it never happened he could keep counseling her. After what she had said… he felt better someone had cared about what he’d said.

He replayed the recorder once after she’d left and he had felt a relief wash over him to find that the gravedigger’s words no longer echoed in his car – but the kind words of his patient. But that was all she was, just a patient. Dr. Sweets promised himself that he would forget the whole thing.

But before he fell asleep for that night he carefully stored those kinds words in the back of his desk drawer – proof that the gravedigger was in fact: wrong.
____________________________________________________________

Tanna spent the day smiling. He evening consisted of writing a few poems and heating a small bowl of soup. This was how most of her days were spent.

The FBI had bought her anything she asked for and so she need not work. She also had to quit on account of several people wanting her dead. Those people were a few states away, but no doubt they guessed that she was being housed in Washington DC. After all that’s where the trial was to take place – it only seemed plausible that she was relocated nearby. She had been uprooted from her home town and brought here, under the care of the FBI and Agent Seeley Booth. Now she awaited trial to testify against her ex-lover.

The things Dr. Sweets had told her had changed her in a number of ways. It was true what she said. Before she slept she would often think about ways to die, when and where… but Dr. Sweets had made a good argument about things being out there still even in the midst of tragedy. That made her write a little more – and even look a little more and she did in fact notice beauty, frailty, strength, and courage. She felt a little stronger when she slept at night… and when she kissed him – she felt this great gratitude wash over her, and she couldn’t help but want to do it again.

***

That’s why next days session was so hard. Dr. Sweets mentioned nothing of the kiss, although he seemed strangely awkward and fidgety.

“Ms. Fleet how are you feeling today?”

“Quite well, thanks for asking.”

“Any suicidal thoughts… at all?”

“No Dr. Sweets, none recently.”

“Well that’s good, do you see yourself improving?”

‘’I do. It’s partially because I have someone to talk to. I think I almost relate better to someone my age,” she laughed, “I uh- never really had anyone to talk to. My mum died, and then Marge and Devin, didn’t really leave me anyone to talk to.”

“And I’ve helped how, specifically?”

“Well I guess I agree with many perspectives you have in life, it’s helped shaped my way of thinking.”

“In only a few short sessions, I think that’s great news.”

“Why? So I’m not crazy?”

“I don’t think you ever were – you’ve just been confused for so long you needed a little guidance.”

“The other doctors… they just prescribed things. I knew they were placebos because they’d never trust me with the real thing my whole relationship with them was stale.”

“I understand. So you don’t believe medication is necessary?”

“It never is.”

“Alright.”

“You disagree?”

“Well studies in science have proved several drug treatment methods have shown to help depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder-“

“-are we arguing Dr. Sweets?”

“I think we may be slightly.” He smiled. She laughed. It seemed that the rest of the session became a discussion rather than an evaluation of her health.
____________________________________________________________

Dr. Sweets didn’t sleep well that night. The gravedigger no longer plagued his thoughts… but that kiss did. He had told himself that it never happened and to forget it. But it was now all he could think about. He thought about how they had laughed and shared such a connection that day.

His thoughts were interrupted when Daisy added herself to his bed. She had spent all day with Dr. Brennan working on a murder case. Daisy wanted what she always wanted – sex. And Dr. Sweets was only a man and gave into the small delight. But after becoming barely aroused he found that he didn’t find any pleasure. Daisy was beautiful and sweet. So was Lance, be he had matured, and he seemed to have found who he really was with the events that had passed so recently. He closed his eyes and could think of none other than Tanna. He could picture her on top of him instead, her long dark curls would tickle his legs when she leaned her head back to moan, she had such long hair, and even in the dark her dark eyes would be unmistakable. That task that started out painstaking soon became pleasurable and even Daisy recognized a change. Thinking nothing of it – both of them finished and to Dr. Sweets let out a disappointed sigh when it was Daisy that cuddled up to his shoulder.