Sessions Spent Alive

Weekend

Dr. Sweets was relived to have his afternoon free; although Booth and his incessant barging in interrupted it. The file he held in his hands was Tanna’s and Booths face didn’t read friendly.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” he asked quite angry.

“Booth, I’m not quite sure I follow where you’re-.”

“The girl at the diner! I knew she looked familiar!”

“Tanna? Yes she’s a recurring patient.”

“Yeah one that you were eyeing quite suspiciously… after saying you and Daisy were just ‘okay.’ You know you can’t flirt with someone in a case!”

“WHOA! Booth I wasn’t! I recognized her that’s all.”

“It looked a lot more like something else.” Booth said. “I better not catch anything funny!”

Lance was completely aghast. Booth always came in to terrorize him, and although Lance secretly did somewhat like Tanna, he hid it well from agent Booth.

“Agent Booth please, such accusations are serious! She’s merely a patient. Nothing else.”

“Damn straight! When is her trial anyways?

“I think the end… of next week?” Lance guessed.

“Good, keep it in your pants until then.”

“Agent Booth I’m offended by these acc-“

Booth was already gone, and Lance once again was alone to think of Tanna. What she was feeling was completely reasonable. A heavy weight rested on her shoulders from loosing the people that mattered most to her, and then a second family had to die in the process? She was in the center of a vast ring of spill blood, and Lance understood that she often thought of death, she was surrounded by it.
__________________________________________________________

Tanna was slightly upset that morning. The mention of Brock had set her off more than it usually did. Perhaps that was because she had to remember the deaths of Marge and Devin at the same time. Something left a big scar with her about him, and she didn’t mean the literally scars on her wrist. She only needed to hold on until the trial, if she put him away then she would be free to leave, and Marge and Devin would receive justice.

She made the walk home short by taking the train. She remembered the story Lance had told her about the stranger he met on the bus, she thought about the lives of these people and wondered what terrible things they had to go through, or what terrible things they did. That was what Tanna did, she was always wondering about the terrible.

She grabbed a small latte at the coffee shop downstairs before making her was up a flight of stairs to her small apartment rented out by the state. It was bare inside. She had few belongings on the shelf – everything still residing in the home she had left behind.

Although she had brought something with her.

She pulled out part of her old life and looked at it in her hand. A small purple pill was there, stamped in the center was a heart. Without thinking she swallowed the acidic pill and took a long gulp of coffee to rid the flavor from her mouth.

And within twenty minutes she was on the ceiling – no longer worrying about the trial, or life, or even death.
__________________________________________________________

Dr. Sweets took the long way to the car park. He new Daisy would be looking for him and right now he wanted a little break from her and her incessant baby talk.

He sat in the front seat of his car with the small tape recorder from before. This time he was replaying the new message on it. On a long dragged out day it was nice to listen to. Daisy often said nice things, but they constantly reminded him of the way a mother would talk to a child. Lance wasn’t a child.

He drove home in silence just replaying the tape in his memory now. He felt like playing the piano when he got home, just the way he used to.

It was nearly ten o’clock when he backed away from the piano keys. He downed the rest of the malt whiskey in his glass and headed for bed. But his peace was of course, interrupted by Daisy.

He wanted to ignore the buzzer – just pretend to be gone, but that would result in far more questions than he was willing to answer. So he buzzed her in, and tried to smile back when she released a smile full of teeth. She had for some reason bought an obscene amount of fresh cheese at the market and tried to feed it to him, but Lance faked an illness and went to bed, he pretended to be asleep when she came in to join him. He was glad to have a night where he didn’t have to wait for her to finish in sex, or talk to him until she herself fell asleep. Lance peacefully began to dream of a certain patient that was deemed forbidden. But that made her all the more appealing.
___________________________________________________________

Tanna was wide awake at three in the morning. She had ran all over town buying oil paints and canvas, and she had spent the last eight hours painting with her fingers.

She had forgotten to buy brushes.

She painted whatever came to mind – which seemed to be a handsome doctor. She painted several canvases of fruit and flowers, but there were a few paintings that contained a man, one that she new, one that she saw almost everyday, and one she often thought about kissing… again.

She crashed from her high after she opened the window to let fresh air in to help dry the paintings. She way lying on the rug next to the heater; she had a pillow from the couch and her jacket kept her warm – she was out before she even thought about the bedroom.

***

Tanna awoke late Sunday night; with her head pounding. She swallowed three aspirin and tried to drink with her eyes shut – but she only managed to spill all over herself. She shut the shutters and pulled the drapes as she made her way into a warm hot bath that she had drawn.

She regretted taking the pill now, who wouldn’t with a hangover like that? She slowly waited for the nausea to subside and found peace when she let a bit of Mozart flow through the room. She gladly swallowed another aspirin as she crawled into her bed with wet hair, she thought about that man she painted, she wondered what he thought about the kiss.

He obviously valued his career, but when she kissed him – it was like he was giving into something he severely wanted but would never let himself have. She felt a yearning from him to live freely like she did, or perhaps have something different than he was used to. She thought about that girl that had been there the day Sweets was upset, she worked there, she wasn’t a patient. She had been so snooty, and rude – but she was pretty. Maybe Lance fancied her. No, Dr. Sweets. she thought.