Sessions Spent Alive

Sixth Session

Morning came swiftly.

Tanna did not want to leave her bed that morning for a silly one-hour session. Even if it was with a man she admired.

She climbed out of the soft duvet and found her way to a steaming shower. It felt so nice to wash any toxins off her skin. She had a few hours before she had to meet with Dr. Sweets, she thought time would be well spent rebooting her body.

She stopped off at a café for a coffee and found herself dancing one hour later trying to breath through several yoga positions. While contorted like a pretzel she felt herself regretting her weekend escape, then she convinced herself that it was really the workout she was regretting. She was quite impressed with what she had painted – even though she barely remembered painting them.
_________________________________________

Lance Sweets was partially distracted that morning with Daisy. She took Yoga every other morning and Lance had just finished breakfast with her, and now couldn’t take him eyes off his patient at the other end of the room. She looked even cuter in leggings and an oversized sweater.

“Lancelot!” she said in her baby voice. “Those are some wandering eyes you have there.”

“Oh… I uh…” Lance realized he had been stairing. He looked again at Tanna, and back to Daisy. “It’s a patient of mine, I actually have a meeting with her today.”

“Oh I see! But I completely understand if you’re attracted to her. It’s totally natural for primitive male figures to look at more than one woman.”

“Yeah, thanks for that Daisy, I’m gonna… go. I’ll see you later, sound good?”

“Sounds awesome Lancelot!” she said grinning from ear to ear. Lance however would avoid her the rest of the day. But he actually found himself looking foreword to seeing Tanna. They seemed to be at ease in conversation, they seemed to have the same views for the most part, and Lance enjoyed hearing what she had to say, and not in the way a therapist should.

But Lance was pleased Tannt had been out doing something productive. He was starting to worry that all she did was drink coffee and mope around in that FBI kept house. At least that meant that she had bits left of her life, not nothing.

He didn’t realize the hour when she walked in the room. He had been daydreaming for more than an hour. She still wore black leggings and a black oversized sweater. She obviously just came straight from the fitness center, and in her had was of course, a coffee.

“Tanna! Good to see you. How was your weekend?” Dr. Sweets said as he shook her hand, like he did every introduction.

“Oh, it was fine. Just fine Doctor.”

“Alright, I’m glad to hear it. How have you been feeling? Typlically… well mentally?”

“Isn’t it you’re job to figure that out Doctor?”

“Well there is no harm in hearing what you think.”

“Hm, well I didn’t think about dying. If that’s what you’re referring to.”

“Not necessarily, but good to hear. Could you take off your glasses for me Ms. Fleet?

She still had a dark pair of sunglasses on. It helped her eyes. The light was unbearable to her retinas after her head was on fire for so many hours. She always hated the come down it left her with migraines.

She took them off and immediately squinted.

“Are your you alright?” he asked.

“Yeah, just a bit of a head ache.”

“Light sensitivity mean migraines, not headaches. How long have you been getting them?”

“Not long, this ones knew.”

“So its not normal for you to feel like this?”

“No, not really no.”

“Well you should see a doctor.”

“I am.” She smiled.

“A medical doctor would suffice.”

“You don’t have one of those degrees? I figured Dr. Sweets had it all.”

“Nah, medical school takes years.” He said smiling. He took her comment as a compliment, and now he was acting like a little boy.

“Uhm. Tanna I wanted to talk about your mother today.”

“Why my mother?”

“Well she’s a big part of your life, and I just thought maybe we could touch-“

“No.” she cut him off. “We can’t talk about her. She needs to rest in peace.”

“But the accident… surely you can see that she”

“Dr. Sweets please.”

“If you could tell me anything.”

Tanna wasn’t listening anymore, she was lost in thought. She felt so sad again, things were tearing at her, ripping her apart. She had to get out of there, and that’s what she did. She didn’t hear Sweets apologies or pleas to stay; she was on the street before she realized she had left him, that he was probably worried.

She took the bus home. Away from the memories that hurt her most. She had lost friends, but her family… that was the worst of it. Her baby brother, her mother – gone in one swift act of fate.

Her head was killing her. She reached for the aspirin in the counter of her bathroom. She swallowed three. She thought about taking a few more. She thought about having a glass of wine with a few more.

And then a few more.

She wanted to stop breathing, because it seemed each time she inhaled it hurt worse. A few more. She hoped Sweets didn’t blame himself. And then a few more.

Tanna was asleep when her door was broken open.