Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

living is only one part of being.

The Leaky Cauldron wasn't an attractive place, it was dark and shabby and had a habit of being constantly dirty no matter how many times one cleaned it. Yet, that didn't matter in the slightest. It was warm and homey and always full of delightful people. I lived here on the first floor, room eleven.

It wasn't easy having to pay day in and day out for a place to sleep but I made it just fine. I couldn't go school because I couldn't afford it. I couldn't go home because I didn't have one, not anymore. But I had this place, and my job at Flourish & Blotts and at the Muggle bookstore on the other side. Two worlds and I was a little piece in both.

"Luciana! This fine young man wishes to know where the books on flying are or something." Rosemary Honeychurch hurried by pushing a male around the age of a student toward me before rushing toward a pair of witches arguing over a beauty book.

The boy managed to stop himself before Rosemary's shove sent him over the crowded counter. He smiled revealing all his teeth in what he must have thought was a dashing smile whilst running a hand through his unruly hair. The boy, who must have been somewhere near my age for he couldn't have possibly been older than 18, was handsome in a very pureblood manner though it was an under-layer rather than being held for all the world to see. He straightened his glasses and stuck out his hand.

"I'm James, James Potter."

"Pleasure." I responded and walked around the counter, "You're looking for books on flying right? What kind of flying did you mean?"

The smile fell and he dropped his hand, "Does that make a difference?"

"If you want the proper section. This place is divided up a bit strangely." I waved a hand dismissively and started walking up the book-covered stairs.

"Well, I'm looking for something about how to reassemble a broom and is there anything about how to train your body for Quiditch?"

I took a left at the top and jumped out of the way when books exploded down from their perch atop the shelf. I sighed and turned to lean over the banister where Rosemary was still trying to sedate the furious pair of witches.

"Ladies, would you please spare a moment to tell me the problem you find yourselves faced with?"

Both of them glanced up at me and scowled.

"This tart is trying to take the last Mariana's Guide on How to Enchant a Man!" They shrieked together the shelves rattling with their distaste.

"Oh? Why ever would such lovely women such as you two need such a book?" I smiled and waved my hand at the flushes that took over their faces, "I'll tell you two a secret. That lovely tattered book is not the last of Mariana's Guides. In fact in the back we have a yet to be released book by her. Do you know it?"

"Mariana's Guide to Being Sexier than Witch Weekly!" They exclaimed slapping their hands over their mouths.

"I see, you do know it. Now would you rather stay there arguing or would you rather be sexier than Witch Weekly?" To their nods I smiled wider, "Rosemary?"

The woman gave me a grateful look and ushered the girls away. I turned around to catch James, James Potter staring at me like I had six heads. Heading through the maze of shelves that was the second floor I lead him to one of the clearer aisles.

"Which position do you play?"

"I'm sorry?" His hazel eyes blinked once in bewilderment.

"Quiditch, which position do you play in Quiditch?" I told him picking up three thin books on broomstick assembly.

"I'm a Chaser. That matters as well I take it." James spoke leaning against the banister watching the door for a moment before returning his eyes to me.

"Yes. If you were a Beater, you'd need a book that focuses on muscle training. If you were a Keeper, you'd need one that focuses on reaction times. A Seeker, a book that helps with eye sight and a book of exercises that keeps you lithe not bulky." I crouched down to the bottom shelf and pulled out a worn red book, "But since you are a Chaser you need a book that focuses on agility, hand eye coordination and an exercise plan somewhat like a Seekers."

I held out the red book for him, "This one should work for that. Now for broomstick assembly you have a choice between these three."

The books I was holding fluttered into the air hovering before him. James narrowed his eyes curiously at each before reaching for the newest looking book. The green leather squeaked against his palm.

"That one is good, if you want a badly instructed book by a man who knows absolutely nothing about broomsticks or flying." I smiled a little at the face he made, "Here, this one has diagrams, interesting facts, and is written by a man who worked making brooms for over sixty years until he died."

I held out the worn dusty brown book to him and took the others when he nodded.The shops bell chimed prettily through the air and Rosemary's greeting traveled up through the shelves. As I put the books away I noticed his eyes traveling to the door and brightening.The boy waved enthusiastically and motioned toward himself beckoning whomever had come through the door. I cast the section on advanced flying a longing look before brushing my grime covered hands on my pants.

"Prongs, have you already gotten your school books?" A surprised sounding voice came from around the bend.

"Not at all Moony, I don't even have my supply list." James laughed.

"Told you, Moony. I believe a Galleon is owed." Came another voice followed by, "Watch it Wormtail! You're going to send me over the edge!"

A soft sorry followed and I could feel my eyebrows raising into my hair when I turned back to James.

"Anything else I can help you with?"

He smiled and ran his hand through his hair once more, "Yeah, you wouldn't happen to know what sixth year students need do you?"

"You go to Hogwarts?"

"Yeah, that matter too?"

"Sometimes. This year Hogwarts has different books than Durmstrang." I told him, "Yes I can help you. Are you taking an Advanced classes?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts." He replied as the people he'd been talking to came around the corner their arguing drowning out the rest of what he said.

Three boys stopped next to James two of them arguing and the last standing off to the side looking nervous. The nervous ratty looking boy turned his watery eyes to me and they widened before he began tugging on the robes of a rather aristocratic looking young man. This boy blew the other off and continued to batter a slim boy with neat brown hair about the payment of bets.

"Alright, alright Padfoot." James said sending me an apologetic look, "Moony will do one thing for you within his own limits instead of paying you a Galleon."

"I will what?" The slim boy frowned deeply as 'Padfoot' exclaimed his protests.

"You will do one thing for him that's it. And attempt to control yourselves, we are in the presence of a lady." James flashed that smile from before and winked.

The urge to roll my eyes fought with the urge to vomit. I never was good at flirting, then again I was never interested in it either. The two boys who had not seen me turned and started surprised. The tall aristocrat immediately came forward a players smile on his lips. I caught the eye roll of the slim boy before my vision was blocked by the advancing male.

"Well hello to you. My name's Sirius, and what may I ask is yours, lovely?"

I just looked at Sirius for a moment and whatever was in my expression seemed to catch him off guard. Careful sidestepping him I turned back to James who looked like the laughter he was holding was going to bust him at the seams.

"Defense is the only advanced class?" To his nod I replied, "What other ones are you taking?"

He rattled off a list and I titled my head going through the best plan for getting him his books and getting the hell out of there.

"Did the rest of you need your books as well?"

"I need something and it can also be found between covers." Sirius winked and I fought the urge to do underage magic just to have the satisfaction of cursing him.

"Yes we do." The slim boy said hurriedly glancing at Sirius and he held out a small stack of papers, "These our are lists."

"Alright then." I smiled at him easily earning a protest from behind me and a faint blush on the boys cheeks, "This way."

And with that I lead myself into a day of headaches and urges to curse something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thinking is your own world of living
Dreaming is the one way to feeling.


Tired tired tired tired tired tired tired tired. Yeah. I moved furniture around my room yesterday and I can barely stand. This crappy and mmm yeah.
-A