Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

heart skips a beat.

It was a lot brighter in the common room than in the dorms. Alice was the first to wake up just like she was the first to pass out. She woke me up next muttering my name until I registered her. I never was fond of mornings. I found the time to always be off, it was either too early or too late. Sirius had sprawled into my lap in his sleep, I picked up his head and did the best I could to not wake him up. Together Alice and I woke up Lily and waited as she stepped over James, the three of us heading up to our dorm.

“Um, Luce?” Lily was looking at me her eyebrows pulled down and a frown on her face.

“Yeah?”

“What happened to your hair?”

“My-?” I touched my head and growled, “Alice.”

The girl threw up her hands, “I put it back…I think.”

“Can one of you try and change it back?”

“Sure.” Lily said pulling out her wand and waving it easily toward my hair.

The frown on her face told me nothing good. Alice tried next and nothing. When we got to our dorm room I glanced at the mirror and started at the sight of my hair. It was a brilliant shade of turquoise and I rounded on Alice glaring. I wanted my hair color back.

“It looks good?” She attempted wincing.

“Mmhmm.”

She winced, “I’m sorry.”

I sighed, “I’ll live.”

I leaned toward the mirror and made a face tugging at a wild strand of my hair. Lily was yawning still tired as she tossed herself back on her bed. Alice did the same on mine looking like she was about to fall asleep.

“Alice, you still want to know what Lily and I were talking about?”

She opened one eye, “Yes.”
I tugged one of my many blankets out from under her and settled on the window seat to begin my tale. I told her about the letters and the room and the will I had found in one of the many drawers. I told her about how he was being persecuted for being a Death Eater. We talked about my new training and about the lady I was supposed to meet in a few weeks. We talked about James, and Sirius and Remus and the others. We talked about the drawing on James’ face and about Alice handling her Butterbeer like a house elf. We talked in circles and in loops. We talked about the important things and the things that didn’t matter.It wasn’t something I was used to this kind of easiness.

"I can't believe their trying to make Professor Rein out as a Death Eater." Alice scowled and kicked her legs out.

"I know." Lily whined tossing her arms up.

I smiled and shook my head knocking Alice over so I could have some of my bed back. We lounged for a while more before I noticed that it was time for me to go to the Dark Arts class room. The girls shouted their goodbyes after me and I waved sprinting down the stairs. The boys were still asleep downstairs as I grabbed my bag, shoes and jacket from the floor. As I past Sirius slipped and fell off the couch. I froze as he sputtered and struggled not to laugh at him.

"Shut it, Luciana."

"Sorry! Sorry." I bit back a giggle, "I'm just leaving now."

He rubbed the section of his head that he had banged on the floor, "Where are you going?"

"I have class. Unlike some people."

Sirius snorted, "Right. Which one?"

"I'm meeting with Cormack right now. Then I have to see McGonagall, then go to the greenhouses and I have to see Flitwick and Kettleburn too. Tonight I have Healing class as well."

"Is that just today?" Sirius made a face and ran a hand through his bed-head.

"Yes, Sirius, that's just today." I rolled my eyes.

"What do you do in these classes?" He was standing now glancing at James face and barking out a laugh.

"What's normally done in classes, Sirius."

"Can I come?" He questioned, "I mean, you've been here a month and I'd like to see what the classes are."

I shrugged, "If you want."

Sirius pulled out his wand and waved it cleaning up the mess that was himself. We headed out the door, not saying a word to one another as we walked down to the ground floor. Cormack raised an eyebrow at the sight of Sirius but didn't say a word of protest as he lead us outside for our usual race.

“Mr. Black, if you would like to participate you’re welcome to but otherwise I would appreciate you not distracting my student.” Cormack spoke stretching out easily.

“Will it get me out of afternoon class?” Sirius inquired an amused expression gracing his face.

“Only if you can handle it.”

“Let’s go then.”

I eyed the males as they looked each other up and down. Cormack looked almost like he was going to laugh in Sirius’ face but turned to me and tilted his head as he usually did. Then we were off leaving Sirius to catch up to us as we bolted toward the lake. We changed courses constantly, going around every inch of the grounds in various different ways. Sirius shouted something and managed to catch up just as Cormack shouted to start.

The spells were off, one of them skimming Sirius’ head as he ducked desperately. I ran straight into the water and with a wave of my hand a jet of water lashed out taking Sirius’ feet out from under him. He slammed brutally into the ground and one of Cormack’s spells flew where his head had been seconds before. I flashed the professor a grin and bounded out of the water as he made a wave of water crash down where I had been. The water splashed against my ankles and I turned my head to see it gush over Sirius as he tried to stand. I wanted to laugh but I didn’t, that would be rude.

“As it goes, Mr.Black, you may not have to show up this afternoon due to injury!” Cormack called back the jibe as he had done with me so many times.

He didn’t mean it as an insult per say, more like a slap in the face type of motivation. He made you want to prove him wrong and he knew you would if you wanted it enough. From what I had gathered about Sirius from talks with Lily and Alice was that he was, and would be for some time, a rather egocentric competitive boy. Those words fueled him immediately, Sirius shot up and aimed a rather nasty hex towards the professor. It missed him by inches.

“You must do better than that Mr.Black!”

Being ignored during their alpha-male type battle I raced forward hitting where we were to stop and shooting back past them aiming a Tripping jinx at both unsuspecting wizards. They barreled into the lake shouting as the water crashed around them. I hit the ground where we started soon dodging the hexes that the two were sending at my back. I bounded up the front stairs and skidded to a stop slamming my hand against the doors and summoning a shield against a hex Sirius had thrown at me.

“Nicely done, Ms.Rein. Mr.Black you are exempt from your usual class.” The professor gasped out nodding to the two of us.

“Is this what you two do every day?”Sirius managed.

“Yeah.” I told him, “This is class.”

Sirius turned to Cormack and barked a laugh, “Can I switch?”

“Perhaps, I’ll consider it.” Cormack nodded and motioned with his hand to the doors, “ You’re dismissed. Oh and Ms.Rein, Professor McGonagall was called away earlier today. You’re to go straight to the greenhouses.”

I nodded, “Thank you, Professor.”

I set off for my Herbology class, Sirius close behind. I looked at him out of the corner of my eye.

“You okay there?”

He shook his head a bit grinning, “And I thought my class was brutal. Have you been doing that all this time?’

“Yes,”I laughed at the bewilderment on his face, “It was worse when I had to do that at night too.”

Sirius made a face, “Merlin and you still study day and night, you’re bloody mad.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, thank you very much.” I swung open the door and smiled at the harried looking Herbology professor, “Morning Professor.”

“Good morning, Ms.Rein! Oh Mr.Black, will you be joining us?”

“I think I’ll just observe this one.” Sirius grinned and sauntered over to an empty table within the greenhouse.

“Alright then, Ms. Rein please step up to the table. You’ll be helping me replant some aconite, your gloves are there. Can you tell me the properties of the plant?”

We spent a good a amount of time going over the plants properties, the potions it could be used in. All of this I had learned in the Apothecary, much like the many potions that I’d done with Slughorn. Apparently I was an “extraordinary student” and a “natural” at potions according to Slughorn. I didn’t agree with him in the slightest but he gave me an Outstanding in my exams and I would be taking my N.E.W.T’s next year. Professor Sprout had given me an Outstanding in my exams as well just two days ago. I came to the greenhouses to help her with the plants now.

“Merlin,” Sirius exclaimed shaking his head as we exited the greenhouses, “I didn’t know half of what you were saying.”

I laughed at him, “That was fifth year work.”

“I didn’t pay attention in fifth year.” He grinned, “What’s next?”

“Are you planning on following me to all of my classes today?” I pushed him gently as we walked up the stairs.

“I have nothing better to do and besides it’s fun watching you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My heart is always first to know and as the feeling grows
My heart says “Go” but my brain says “No”.


Hello new subscriber, how are you today? I'm tired, guys but I found some really amazing music to listen to and and my crime shows that I watch while writing are back. It's weird but it's only when they're on that I can write for long periods.
-A