Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

when we meet again.

“So,” Lily drawled flopping down next to me as I read in our dorm later that night, “what’s going on with you and Black?”

I lifted my head and gave her a bewildered look, “What?”

“I just want to know if I have to start being nice to him now that’s all.”

I gave her a sideways look, “Shouldn’t you always be nice?”

“Not to toerags like that.” She lifted a finger and pointed it at me, “But, if you’re interested I’ll play nice.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I closed my book quickly and clambered out of bed.

Lily threw up her arms, “But he is! And you two are flirting all the time!”

I sputtered, “We are not!”

Lily suddenly popped up from the bed, “Have you ever had a boyfriend before? Flirted? Anything?”

My face flared, “N-no.”

Lily was really quiet for a moment, “Are you serious?”

“Yes, I’m serious! Now drop it.” I snapped and threw a pillow at her stalking into the bathroom.

“Alright! Alright, I’m sorry. I won’t ask anymore.” She called after me laughing, “Luce!”

I came back out scowling at her and promptly shoved her off of my bed. Lily laughed a little more and threw herself on her own bed. The night was cool as the two of us got ready for bed. The wind ghosted through my open window ruffling my papers, I glanced out of the window at the wide full moon. A howl tore through the silence. As I watched the birds flew up from the forest away from whatever was hiding in those shadows. I shivered and closed the window the hinges creaking as they closed.

Morning came bright in through the windows and found Lily and me running wild trying to get ready as fast as possible. We nearly collided once or twice spilling the things in our arms every time. Alice caught up to us on our way down the stairs and joined us in our sprint. Remus was on the couches reading and he looked up at us as we ran in. I slammed my hand against the couch and let out a cheer.

“I win!”

“No!” Lily whined flopping over onto one of the chairs Alice following suit.

“What are you guys doing?” Remus asked peering at us over his book.

“Racing.” I told him sitting down on the couch with him and conjuring the time, “Ugh, I have to leave soon.”

“I thought you went in at nine, it’s only seven-forty.” Lily inquired rolling her head to see me.

“I do but I want to be early so I’m going to the Headmaster’s office at eight and I’d rather not be late for anything.” I hopped up from the couch and patted Remus on the head, “I’ll see you all later.”

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Lily called out after me.

“I’ll eat when I get back, Mother!” I shouted over my shoulder as I exited the porthole.

The castle was surprisingly quiet just like when I was here before classes started. A few of the paintings that I passed by were still snoring away very few of them awake enough to greet me as I passed. Roxanne gave me a sleepy smile as I walked by and dropped her head back into her arms snoozing away. There were a few Ravenclaw’s walking about out from the library but other than that the place was empty. Professor McGonagall greeted me as I walked up to the gargoyle outside of the Headmaster’s office.

“Ms. Rein, you’re early that’s good.” She motioned me toward the gargoyle, “Come, come. We have a lot to discuss.”

McGonagall said the password, some kind of unpleasant sounding candy, and hurried me in. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, his half-moon glasses slipped down his nose and a bright colored quill tapping on his chin. He looked up when we came in his eyes dark and far away before they focused on us.

“Minerva, Ms.Rein, good morning. Please take a seat.” He waved to the two comfortable looking chairs before his table and we settled down, “Ms.Rein you are aware that you’re training begins at nine correct?”

“Yes, sir. I wasn’t sure if there would be…extra paperwork or whatnot before hand so I figured I’d show up early.”

His eyes twinkled, “That’s good, very good. Now you are also aware that what you are doing is not a normal part of the curriculum and we normally won’t allow even a seventh year to be leaving for extra training.”

“Yes, sir, Lena informed me of that.”

“We’re making an exception for you, Ms.Rein. Can you guess why?”

I laced my fingers together and tightened them until my skin turned white, “It probably has something to do with my brother or that we have a war on our hands. Most likely both.”

“You’re correct in that we have a war on our hands, Ms.Rein.” Professor McGonagall told me turning to face me head on, “But you’re brother has nothing to do with your own achievements.”

“No, he just held open the door for me, right?”

“Ms.Rein, please.” Dumbledore held out both his hands palms facing me, “We did know your brother quite well but you are completely capable, more than that. Poppy tells me that your capabilities in Healing are extraordinary. I personally am rushing your training, I apologize if that is not what you want and you are more than welcome to retract but do not think that anyone has held open the door for you. The Ministry likes to...meddle for lack of a more eloquent term, they found what Poppy said about you and the Head of the Auror department requested you to train now.”

I leaned my elbows on the chair arms and looked the Headmaster in the eye, “I have no intention of retracting from training, Professor but with all do respect my brother seems to be catching a lot of attention for me. Does the Ministry taking an interest in me have to do with the inquiries toward him?”

Dumbledore peered at me over the wires of his glasses, “I do not know the details of their interests, Ms.Rein, but I believe you might be correct.”

“Albus,” McGonagall hissed softly, “for them to-”

Dumbledore held up a hand, “That is a discussion for another time in other company I should think.”

McGonagall nodded and turned to me, “Ms.Rein I hope you understand that this arrangement will not be an excuse to neglect your school work.”

“Of course, I understand.”

“You will be allowed five extra minutes to get from here to my class room, if you are late you will get detention. Understand?”

“Yes, Professor. I understand.”

“Good.”

“I believe it’s time for you to meet with the Head.” Dumbledore said motioning to the open fire grate, “I believe if you say Lena Delano’s office it should take to the correct place.”

I nodded and stood up heading for the grate. Dumbledore offered me a pouch full of Floo powder and I pinched a handful trying not to let the green substance slip from my fingers. I stepped into the fireplace and took a deep breath. I’d never actually Floo-ed anywhere before only read about it in the many books I’d devoured in Flourish and Blotts and the library in Hogwarts. I threw the powder down and shouted out my destination the bright flash of light of the flames startled me a bit and a rush buzzed through my ears. I closed my eyes tightly as I spun and spun the smell of soot filling my nose painfully. The ground hit under my feet and I went forward crashing out of the grate in Lena’s office. A pretty sultry sounding laugh sounded in the room and someone took my arm helping me up.

Lena’s face was pulled into a wide mocking smile,
“Welcome to the wizarding world, kiddo.”
♠ ♠ ♠
We're not the same as when we first began
We'll try to change, we'll take another chance.


Sorry for lack of updates, lovelies. I'm trying to do homework today as well so tomorrow will probably be the day that I catch up on my word count.
-A