Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

the grey.

Riding a hippogriff is one of the most amazing feelings in the world. It was far less terrifying than riding a broom and I preferred the solid feeling of Ironside underneath me to the slim feeling of James’ old broom. Ironside let out a loud cry as we soared over the lake and doubled back over the forest. The snow stung and bit my face, the chill of the night reaching through my jumper and into my bones even as Ironside touched down in a forest clearing.

Ironside trotted for a moment before stopping so I could get off. The beast panted softly as I brushed down the feathers around his face and letting him nuzzle me. A howl came again from my right sounding startlingly close. I turned my head when Ironside gave an angry huff and came nose to snout with a rather large stag. Familiar looking hazel eyes stared at me as the stag pawed the ground huffing into my face. Ironside made a threatening sound and the stag moved back a bit. Another howl ripped through the night even closer than before and the rumor Snape had spread that werewolves lived in the forest ran through my head.

“Ironside, calm down.” I told the hippogriff when he made a panicked sound and I jumped back when he reared, “Calm down!”

I tumbled back dodging Ironside’s talons and sprawling on the ground next to the stag. The stag reared as well thumping his hooves on the ground and Ironside took off through the treetops as another howl ripped through the forest. A rat jumped onto my stomach from the stags back startling. I picked the thing up bewildered as it squeaked desperately at me. I got up from the ground and set the squealing rat carefully back on the stag. There was the sound of barking, almost like warning and the stag turned around backing against me.

A massive black dog bounded out from the trees and skidded before the stag, the rat and me. It stared at me and whined, a low and worried sound. Another howl came from the tree line and my head snapped toward it as a wolf stalked through the trees. But it wasn’t a wolf, the snout was different as well as the tuffed tail. I slid back startled at the sight of a werewolf in the forest. The werewolf caught sight of our grouping and snarled long and low its muscles visibly bunching up as it prepared to strike.

“Oh dear Merlin.” I breathed and let out a small shriek when the dog charged the wolf.

The stag jerked around pushing its antlers gently into me leading me back. The dog let out a yelp as it was throw and I threw up my hands over my mouth making a small noise. The stag pushed harder forcing me to take step after step to the edge of the clearing. I shot the animal a look and grimaced when the blur of canines let out whines and pained yelps. The stag pushed even harder and tore straight through the thin fabric of my shirt.

“Enough you.” I snapped at the animal, “it’s almost sunrise. And be more careful with those things, you’d think you weren’t a stag the way you handle your antlers.”

When the stag pushed again I glared at him, “Why don’t you go help your friends before one of them gets so badly hurt they die. Be useful, cause you’re not getting me anyway. I bet my wand that that poor thing is gonna need healing.”

The stag let out a huff and turned away rushing toward the snarling pair of dogs. The rat squealed as they went and I backed up until my back hit a tree watching before I turned and climbed it as best I could. I wanted to help the hurt animals but there was no way I was putting myself at risk to getting a werewolf bite. I straddled one of the branches and closed my eyes the height making me dizzy. The fight was loud and it bothered me, I hated fights, hated hearing them, hated watching them.

There was a groan from down below and I slid off the branch and dropping to the ground. I moved around and glanced toward the direction of the pained sounds. The dog, stag and rat were still there standing in a semi-circle around a very broken looking body. When I came up the stag stepped forward and I raised a finger at him with a stern look. The stag stepped back and I looked down and started.

“Remus?” My voice came out very soft and I knelt quickly next to my friend pulling out my wand, “Remus, come on I need you to answer.”

“Luce?” He croaked and moved his head painful cuts bleeding across his face, “What are you doing here?”

“It’s a long story, and I will tell you on the way to the castle but first lets fix you up, okay?”

He groaned again and flopped around. I conjured a blanket and placed it over him before I stared the process of closing all of his cuts as gently as I could. I cleaned up the dirt on him and worried over the fact he lacked clothing in the frosty night. I focused on that trying to figure out how to get him some clothing because if I didn’t I’d focus on the fact that I’d just seen one of my guy friends naked and that was not something I wanted to think about. There was the wet feeling of a snout just next to my ear and I turned to see the large black dog with clothing held in his teeth.

“Thanks.” I told him taking the clothing and giving it to Remus.

“Luce-” He started as he pushed up from the ground and I turned around petting the dog.

“I’m not saying anything, Remy. Just get dressed so we can get you inside and warmed up.”

There was a pause, “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For not treating me differently.” Remus’ voice was very quiet and it made me very sad.

“But you’re not different, you’re still just Remus.”

He didn’t say anything and there was the rustle of him standing up. I ran my hands through the dogs mane letting my fingers glide over the softness. The dog leaned into my palm nuzzling it gently and stepping closer to me. I hadn’t noticed how cold I was until I had the heat of the handsome dog against my arms. I moved forward burrowing my face into the warmth still scratching his ears. The dog whined softly when I touched a wet spot in his fur and I moved away from him looking at the matted fur. I pulled my wand back out healing up the scrapes. The dog licked my hand and cheek and I smiled widely at him.

“That feels better I take it. Anything else that you need healed, cutie?” I ruffled his ears and smiled when he gave a low growl, “Right sorry, would handsome make you feel better?”

The dog barked once and pressed his head into my stomach making me smile wider.

“Luce, come on before you freeze to death.” Remus told me helping me up from the ground and away from the adorable dog, “How long have you been out here anyway?”

“Since curfew, I was waiting for Chase.” I told him bumping his shoulder, “Do you feel okay?”

“I’m fine, Luce, just a little tired. Did Vacanti not show up?”

“You look like roadkill, we’re going to the Hospital Wing and you are not going to classes today.” I scolded touching a bruise on his temple that I had missed, “And no, he didn’t show up. “

“Yes, ma’am.” He made a face at me, “So your boyfriend doesn’t show up and you go for a stroll in the Forbidden Forest?”

“I did not go for a stroll, I rode a hippogriff who the lovely stag over there scared away.”

“You rode a-” Remus stopped shaking his head looking amused, “Sure it was the stag?”

“Yep, him and that rat, terrifying beasts really.”
♠ ♠ ♠
In your deepest pain, in your weakest hour, in you darkest night.
You are lovely


Past 45K now guys! How exciting! This song by the way reminds me of Remus every time I hear it.
-A