Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

found a boy.

Lily was going to kill me, that was the first thought I had when I woke up on Marlene’s tent floor. Marlene rolled out of bed her dark hair sticking up in all directions and yawned wide and sleepy. She mumbled a good morning to me and helped me up from the floor, her breath reeking of Firewhiskey. Her room mate mumbled and rolled over throwing a pillow at us.

I yawned, “I’ve got to get Eben. Moody wanted us in early.”

“See you later then.” Marlene smiled and hugged me, “Good meeting you. Eben’s tent is the sixth of the third row, the one with the Irish Quiditch flag over it.”

“You too.” I patted her back and waved as I ducked out of the tent, “Thanks!”

The morning was shining bright when I walked out, the sound of snoring buzzed in the air and the chill slid into my jacket. The wrapping on my left arm felt tight when I moved my arm as I walked to the tent that Marlene had told me was Eben and Benjy’s. I tapped my wand on the flap making it sound like I was knocking on a wood door. There was a loud crash inside, a curse and someone calling for me to wait. It took a few minutes but Benjy tugged the flap open shirtless and rubbing his head in obvious pain.

“Luciana?”

“Hey, Benjy. Can you get Ebenezar for me? Tell him that Moody called us in early today.”

“Sure thing, Luce. You wanna come in while I kick ‘im out of bed?”

“Nah, I’ll just hang out here, thanks though.”

Benjy nodded, “Better that way, Eben and me aren’t very clean. It’s barely livable in here. Let me get the bum.”

Benjy ducked back in and a minute later I heard Eben let out a shout and a string of angry curses. There was laughter some scuffling and another minute later Eben was pushing open the flap looking tired. He yawned and greeted me motioning in the direction of the place we’d Floo-ed into from. He told me about how he thought everyone liked me very much at the party, especially Marlene and Benjy. I told him that he should find some mints or a Sobering Potion before we get to Lena’s office. He stopped walking considered that and ran back to his tent, me laughing at his back as he went.

A few minutes later Eben was running back shouting about the time as he ran, catching my arm as he went past me. I was laughing as we sprinted for the Floo connected fireplace. Eben went first, having more strikes against being late than I did, and I went a few seconds after him. I slammed out the fireplace taking Eben’s feet out from under him and we hit the ground, him face down and me on top of him.

“Sorry.” I mumbled and got up off of him slipping a little on the soot we’d tracked in.

“It’s okay.” He told me as I helped him up from the ground.

Lena was in the door way clutching her side laughing at the two of us with Moody standing just behind her shaking his head. They separated us today, Eben got to go do some more serious offense spell training and I got to beef up on my Healing work. Lena taught me a lot about self-healing, about how to do it while using a wand to fight mostly. We worked until I nearly collapsed and then Lena forced me to stop and drink a potion she’d concocted to help with the magical deficiency. It was while she was pulling books for me to overview that I remember what I’d planned on asking her last week.

“Lena?”

“Yes, Rein?”

“Is there a spell or a potion or something that helps with the pain of a werewolves transformation?”

Lena’s hands froze midway from pulling out a book, “Why do you want to know about that?”

“I-” I stopped thinking about what Remus had said about thinking about him differently, “I was just doing some research just in case Auror’s recruit-”

“Auror’s would never recruit a werewolf.” Lena snapped and slammed the book she’d been holding down on the rest of the stack.

“And why is that?” My voice was ice-cold and I could feel my expression hardening.

“Is there anything you’d like to tell me, Rein?” Lena hissed arms braced against the stack of books.

“No.”I dead-panned and stood, “There is nothing I have to say to you right now. Am I dismissed?”

Lena’s back went straight and her eyes narrowed, “Yes. Take the books, have them read by next Tuesday. There is no training this Thursday.”

“Of course.” I picked up the stack and turned my back to the woman picking up a handful of Floo powder.

“Rein!” Lena’s voice was sharp demanding she waited until I turned to speak again, “Third book, page three hundred and sixty-two. That should help but only a little.”

I looked at her carefully and nodded once turning and walking into the fireplace tossing the powder down. The books tumbled out of my hands when I stumbled out of the Headmaster’s fireplace and I knelt down to pick them up.

“Luce? What are you doing coming out of the Floo?”

I looked up at Sirius’ voice and frowned at him glancing at the four boys around him, “What are you guys doing here?”

“Mr. Black,Mr. Potter, Mr. Lupin, Mr. Pettigrew and Mr. Vacanti got in trouble last night, Ms. Rein.” Professor McGonagall said narrowing her eyes at me, “Something you would be aware of had you returned at the prearranged time.”

I winced standing, “There was some trouble, Professor. I apologize.”

“That’s quite alright, Ms. Rein.” Dumbledore told him that familiar twinkle in his eyes, “I trust you are alright?”

“I’ve already been Healed, sir.”

“You were hurt?” Chase spoke worry lacing his words as much as his bust lips slurred them.

“I’m fine, Chase.” I told him narrowing my eyes slightly before turning back to Dumbeldore, “Would you like me to wait outside, Professor?”

“Yes, of course. I’d like to hear what happened.”

I glanced at the boys who were all staring at me now and walked out leaning against the walls just next to the door when it closed behind me. I waited for a few minutes listening to the muffled sounds of McGonagall telling the boys off. The boys came out Remus, Peter and Chase looking down trodden while James and Sirius looked like the couldn’t be bothered. I raised an eyebrow at the sight of Sirius glowering and emitting menace from his every pore when he took one look at Chase.

“So which one of you is going to explain why the lot of you were all in there together?” I asked them tapping my fingers on the ground next to me looking at them one by one.

“Ms. Rein, it’ll be just a moment. You’re superior dropped by.” McGonagall popped her head out of the doorway and looked at the boys icily, “I don’t believe you four need a map to get to the Great Hall.”

“Nah, we got it Minnie.” Sirius gave the professor a lopsided grin and saluted her.

Sirius lagged for a moment waiting until James had stared down the stairs and McGonagall had closed the door before he leaned down to whisper in my ear.

“Are you okay?”

I gave him a look, “I’m fine, Sirius.”

He put up his hands moving away from me and smiling, “Just checking. Don’t forget to fill us in downstairs.”

“What makes you think I have to tell you anything, Black?”

Sirius turned his head and winked, “Because you love me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
You and your charm creep closer,closer in here.
And I’m just a child who longs on her knees.


Thanks to everyone who dealt with my massive crazy updates during NaNoWriMo. Updating will probably slow down now, sorry.
-A