Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

let's pretend we're not in love.

“You fought against suspected Death Eaters and recovered a girl who was missing with only one other trainee.”

Dumbledore looked almost amused and McGonagall looked enraged. We’d been talking for the last few half hour about what had happened back at the Selwynn house. Dumbledore offered the possibility of the kidnapping being because Ariana was a Muggle-born which I denounced because the Weatherly’s were American purebloods, I knew having done a check on their records from the entire wizarding governments network. I did know however that Ariana’s parents were considered blood traitors and that would have been motive enough to take her.

Dumbledore smiled, “That’s a good analysis. How did you get the Ministry to agree to give you access to those documents?”

I closed my eyes smiling and shaking my head, “The Minister was under a bit of pressure at the time, sir. I think should I have asked to be Head of the Auror Department with a ridiculous sum of money for my pension, he would have agreed.”

“I take it Healer Delano and Alastor did not take kindly to having their protgee’s put in such danger.”

“That would be putting it kindly, sir.”

“Putting it kindly should be right.” McGonagall said primly looking like a hissing cat.

“Now, now Minerva. Ms. Rein is alive and well and I take it her partner is as well?”

“Yes, my partner is fine.” I tapped my fingers on the chair arm and my stomach growled ferociously, “I mean no offense but may I go to lunch now?”

“Yes, yes of course. Have an enjoyable lunch, Ms. Rein. I hear the hot sandwiches will be quite good this afternoon.” Dumbledore smiled widely and waved a hand toward the door.

“Have a nice weekend, Professors.”

I hurried out the door and down the stairs. Lily was waiting for me at the bottom arms crossed her head titled staring at the ceiling. She looked up when I came down and grinned. Lily titled her head toward the stairs and we started walking.

“You missed quite the show last night.”

“So I hear, the boys and Chase were in the office when I came in. What happened?”

“Sirius flipped his lid over something that happened with your boyfriend.”

“What?” I looked at her bewildered.

“I don’t know the details of what was said, only that Chase was talking to some buddies of his and Sirius heard something, got up in Chase’s face and decked him. The boys joined in a little later fighting with Chase’s friends, Muggle style.” Lily put up her hands at the look I gave her, “I know, Alice is trying to find out more but she’s not having any luck.”

I sighed and rubbed the back of my head, “Think I should ask him about it?”

“Who? Sirius or Chase?”

“Either one but I was talking about Chase.”

“Sirius won’t tell us anything, you probably.” I ignored her look and let her continue, “Chase? I don’t know but I have a feeling that he’ll lie if you ask an questions.”

“It bothers me that I can’t think of anytime you’ve been wrong.” I sighed and shook my head, “Come on, I’m starving.”

“No food where you’ve been hiding.”

I winced at her accusing tone, “I can’t tell you anything, Lil. Protocol.”

She sighed, “I hope whoever I marry is in the same department. I don’t think I can handle all the secrecy.”

I elbowed her, “You could just marry James. Same department and he’d never cheat on you.”

Lily smacked me hard, “Shut it now.”

I laughed at her and elbowed her delicately two of us slothing our way to the Great Hall. Alice was waiting for us at the doors and bounced her way over throwing her arms around me squeezing tightly, jabbering on about how she missed me. Lily smacked her upside the head and told her it had only been one night. The two of them started up an argument just as Frank came over. I rolled my eyes at the bewildered looking boy and he just shrugged, the two of us following them into the hall.

“Have a good night, Luce?” Frank asked me shoving his hands deep in his pockets like he did when he felt awkward.

“Hardly, but I’m not allowed to say anything.” I elbowed him, “Still feel weird when you talk to me?”

Frank laughed and shook his head, “Fast-friend making isn’t my forte.”

“I’d say the same but.” I waved a hand at the bickering girls in front of us to finish my sentence.

“Perhaps it was they who made fast friends.” He offered nudging me gently, “You still have your moments when you look lost around us.”

I paused tilting my head, “That’s probably because I feel lost around you lot.”

“We’re a lot to get used to.”

I looked at him and smiled, “Alice is one lucky lady.”

Frank grinned and shook his head, “I’m the lucky one.”

I smiled wider at that, amazed by the sheer adoration in his voice when he said that and in his eyes when he looked up at his girlfriend. They were going to get married someday, probably after they become of age or when school is over for us, but someday the word would be hearing Alice referred to as Mrs. Longbottom. Sirius and James beckoned us over and I waved goodbye to Frank rushing forward to toss my arms over the shoulders of my still arguing friends. After I had been sandwiched between Sirius and Lily, I looked up glancing toward the Hufflepuff table to see Chase watching out group a sour expression on his face. I frowned at him until he noticed my gaze and I looked away when he waved, a feeling of uneasy gnawing at my insides.

I watched the boys and my friends stuff their faces and even though my stomach was growling something terrible, I wasn’t hungry. Sirius nudged me softly and had a very uncharacteristically worried look about his face. I smiled quickly at him and picked up a fry nibbling on it pointedly. His frown didn’t lesson, he only turned his head and finished his own meal. A few minutes later he nudged me again and this time tugged on my arm tilting his head toward the doors when I looked up at him. I raised an eyebrow at him but got up nonetheless following him out the door. I looked toward the Hufflepuff table when I did and caught sight of Chase jerking his head away and slamming his fist on the table snarling something at the boy across from him. I frowned and looked towards Sirius retreating back.

It probably wasn’t a good idea to follow Sirius
but life was full of good ideas I could look at later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let's run away and pretend we're not in love
Let's make this interesting and start all over.


Okay so the validator is telling me I'm 600 words off WHY WHY WHY WHY. Also I did a quick date change, it's Saturday for the date now. Enjoying my crazy updates?
-A