Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

so nice, so smart.

Lily looked like she’d spent the night at the bottom of a bottle of tequila when we shuffled on the train. Alice hadn’t faired much better either and was sleeping on Franks back, the poor boy was lugging his girlfriend and their bags. The boy’s had caught up to us, all but Remus looking like they had a long night. Sirius all but fell on me when we started up the trains steps. I shoved him farther into the train the people behind us starting to shove something violent.

Frank woke up Alice and the two of the bid us a good trip disappearing into one of the ‘couple’ compartments in back. It took Lily forever to find a compartment that she liked enough and that the boys agreed with. Lily had taken to grumbling under her breath about the amount the boys were around, I’d barely managed to keep her from setting fire to James’ hair when he’d hit her with his bag on the rear. He had apologized only to get his life threatened with some very colorful scenario’s.

Everyone settled in, James sprawling out on one of the seats forcing poor Peter to squish himself against the wall after Lily and Remus had left for their Prefect meeting. Sirius stole Lily’s former seat next to me yawning and complaining about James’ position and his own lack of sleep. I sat with my back against the window, my legs pulled in and a book resting on my knees. Sirius leaned over peeking at my book and trying to tug it away, most likely because he was bored and wanted someone to entertain him. I smacked his hand away and pulled my knees closer in.

“Would you stop that?” I snapped at him after he finally managed to take my book away.

“Stop reading, this is a vacation!”

I attempted to snatch my book back and nearly fell off of the seat and onto him, “Regardless, I still have work to do.”

“But it’s vacation.” He whined pulling farther back.

“But nothing. My bosses give me work and I do it.”

James gave a loud snore and Peter managed to get free and told us in a small voice, “I’m going to find the trolly.”

“See you later, Peter.” I told him smiling and went for my book again, “Sirius, stop being a prat!”

“Would you two shut up?” James threw a balled up jacket at us, “I’m trying to sleep.”

“Get up and help me get Luce to stop reading.”

“Sirius, shut up and give her book back.” James glowered from under his arm, “Luce, keep the child entertained.”

I managed to lean far enough forward to snatch my book back and caught myself on the wall next to Sirius’ head. He raised an eyebrow at me with a grin and I jerked back hitting him with my book as I went. James went back to sleep after that and Sirius stole the snitch that his friend kept on him at all times. He tossed it to me and we let it fly between us snatching it and passing it off. Lily and Remus came back with Peter and Lily smacked James awake looking cross. The poor boy started up into a sitting position and offering her a seat quickly.

Lily refused it with a huff and raised an eyebrow at Sirius when he moved to sit next to me rather than next to the door. Lily sent me an amused look that I pointedly ignored and bit a smile back staring out the window. James demanded his snitch back from Sirius who was still messing with it and once it was safely back in his pocket when back to sleep. Remus sat down looking tired and borrowed one of my books, hunkering down with it for the rest of the ride. Sirius gave a wide yawn and rubbed his eyes a bit like a child, tugging at my book again.

I waved his hand away and smiled, “Go to sleep and stop pestering.”

Sirius grunted and dropped his head onto my shoulder. Lily made a sound on his other side and I gave her a look. Remus raised an eyebrow at the three of us and looked like he was going to smile, even James made an amused sound. I kicked the boy for it and struggled with a smile. Everyone had drifted off soon after that in some form or another.

Lily had gone off to bid her former dorm mates a happy Christmas. Remus had burrowed into the book he borrowed not responding to anyone. James had nodded off again sprawling out every now and then only to be shoved back by Remus. Peter had curled up and fallen asleep like that twitching every few moments. Sirius was still asleep on my shoulder when I started to drift off leaning against the window and watching the world go by.

The train rolled to a slow stop and Lily was poking me awake. I stirred sleepily gently shaking Sirius awake as well. Lily shook the other boys awake while I dealt with waking up a fussy Sirius. After that was over we joined the flow of students exiting and I barely managed to keep up with tour group, which made James and Sirius laugh. For a while they teased me for being so small and I scowled muttering about them being giants. Lily tugged me over to her parents and sulking sister and we exchanged greetings.

Mr and Mrs. Evans were unbelievably nice and in the few minutes I spent talking to them made me feel like another one of their children. Petunia wasn’t so, she spent the five minutes that I was there tapping her foot and looking at her watch heaving angry sighs. I said a quick goodbye to the group and searched for the boys in the dwindling crowd. Sirius found me a few minutes later after I had been bowled over by a couple of seventh years.

Sirius pulled me up easily and held me carefully as I teetered laughing, “Careful there.”

“Stop laughing at me you.” I smacked his stomach and nearly fell again, “Stop laughing!”

“I’m sorry.” He managed out still laughing and holding me up taking one of my bags, “I’m sorry. It’s just that you’re so small, like a first year.”

“I am not that small!”

“Okay, you’re not that small.” He laughed some more, “Give me your bags. The Potter’s are over there waiting.”

I shuffled a little and let him take my bags from me, “Lead the way.”

A warm smile broke out on his face, “Nervous?”

“Completely.”

“Don’t be.” Sirius bumped my shoulder lightly,
“They’ll love you, I know it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I like boys with strong convictions.
You're such a good friend I hafta break your heart.

-A