Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

you have been loved.

It was almost like they knew I was thinking of going to school again. The next morning an owl pecked at the window cooing in an annoyed manner while I walked across the room to let it in. The bird flew around my head in a circle and dropped two plain envelopes on the ground before me. I glanced at the animal while it cleaned it's feathers eying my food with interest. Snatching them up from the ground I moved back to my breakfast and sat down.

"Bacon?" I offered the meat to the bird who snatched it eagerly out of my hand.

I laughed and pushed the goblet pumpkin juice toward the bird. It gulped down the drink hurriedly and when it had finished nipped my finger gently before soaring back out the window. I watched it go for a moment before turning back to the letters.

Ms. Luciana Rein
Room 11 at the Leaky Cauldron
200 Charring Cross Road
London, England

The scrawl on the paper was beautiful, it was rare to see such a pretty calligraphy and the address was the same on both with no return. I ran my finger over the green ink of my printed name. I flipped it over gazing at the symbol in the seal, it looked almost like a code of arms. The butter knife slid through the wax cleanly and the letter slipped out.

It was an offer for a spot at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I nearly burst out laughing, it really was like they knew. In the envelope was a list of school supplies, all of which I recognized from my year and a half of working at the bookstore and the Apothecary. I set the letter down carefully on the table like it would burst into flame if I was too rough with it. I opened the next letter in the same manner. The writing here was a scrawl slanting to the right with purposeful strokes.

Dear Ms.Rein,
My name is Albus Dumbledore, I am the headmaster at the school you've just been invited to begin your education at. If I am to understand your records correctly, you declined education at Salem's Institute for Witches. School begins in September but seeing as you have much more to learn than most children your age, I wish to propose an offer. I request that you come and catch up on your education at the beginning of next week. I would very much like to discuss this with you, perhaps over coco? I believe your residence has the best in London.

-Albus Dumbledore


Intuition tickled in my stomach and I stood heading for the dining area downstairs. It was loud down here, people bustled in and out their chatter filling the room with warm welcomes. Several witches in the corner were giggling and pointing to an older man with long hair and brilliant blue robes. I headed to Adaline who was scrubbing the bar counter and hunkered down in front of her.

"Hey there, Ana. Can I get you something?" Adaline smiled her bright green eyes sparkling with pleasant cheer.

"Morning, Adaline. Um, could you tell me if a man named Dumbledore is in the room at the moment?" I twined my fingers together and rested my chin on them.

"Well yeah! He's right over there, the one those witches are cackling at. Ordered two cups a coco but no ones with him. Mad man I tell you, brilliant but mad."She shook her head and was called away by a warlock at the end of the bar.

I found myself standing, debating as to if this was a good idea or not. Then I was in front of the man standing next to the empty chair beside him. His eyes twinkled dangerously behind his half-moon glasses.

"That for me?" I pointed at the extra cup of coco.

"Yes it is." He smiled and motioned toward the chair, "Please sit. How did you figure out so quickly that I would be here?"

"Just a hunch." I breathed in the rich scent of the hot chocolate and let it warm my fingers, "Why?"

"Most people would not have guessed-"

"No, I meant why are you doing this? Why are you making me this offer?"

Dumbledore removed his glassed and wiped them clean with a handkerchief he'd conjured. He looked tired from this close and without his glasses. The glasses slipped back on his face easily and he lifted his twinkling eyes to my face. He knew something. I couldn't understand what but I knew that much.

"I knew your brother, Leon." He placed his elbows on the table folding his hands beneath his chin and looked at me his eyes sad, "Luciana, your brother didn't die trying to stop a robbery. He wasn't shot to death."

The mug felt cold in my hands, the chocolate smelled bitter and the liquid tasted like nothing. My eyes closed and the chatter sounded so loud it hurt. Dumbledore was saying something again and I felt sick. I didn't want to talk about Leon. I didn't want to relive that day in the morgue. I didn't, I couldn't.

"Luciana, I know it hurts but you need to hear what I have to say about this."

I opened my eyes and nodded at him.

"Your brother was a wizard as well, he went to my school for a time after he'd moved away from home. Worked as a Professor for me for a little while. He also was a member of an organization that I am also part of. You have heard of Lord Voldemort, correct?"

"Only rumors." My voice was soft in the loud room.

Dumbledore paused and stood slowly, "I think we should continue this conversation elsewhere, Luciana."

His eyes had settled on something across the room. I didn't turn but stood as well setting my mug on the table. I still felt cold, still felt sick. I didn't like talking about my brothers death, about my family at all but this. Something was wrong and there was something I needed to know and this man, Albus Dumbledore, knew what that something was.

"Will you come with me, Luciana? I think it's time to go on a tour of the school."
♠ ♠ ♠
That the bitterness and anger left me long ago,
Only sadness remains and it will pass.


Like the new layout? Also the house number for the Leaky isn't real. I made that up since I couldn't find it anywhere.
-A