Status: My NaNo novel, expect long chapters of gibberish. -A

Taste of Youth

in here, can anybody see me?

I felt sick as I walked away from Dumbledore’s office. The hat hadn’t meant any harm, I told myself. It had no idea what it was talking about. My hands were shaking just remembering that day. Flashes of blood and screaming people flew through my head before I forced everything back into the neat little cage that it had been in before. Leaning on the banister I took a couple of breaths steadying myself before straightening and heading in the direction of the front gates. Professor McGonagall came around the bend, the faintest hints of a smile on her stern face.

“Ms.Rein, I’ve just received the news that you’ve been sorted into my house. The Headmaster seems to think it a good idea to have you stay in your dormitory rather than make the trip back to the Leaky Cauldron. If you would follow me.”

“Um, Professor, what about my jobs? I only changed my schedule, I haven’t quit yet.” I questioned as I hurried to keep up with her long stride.

“You will keep your jobs, Ms.Rein, that is not a problem. The Headmaster has granted you the ability to leave the grounds in the evening for your shifts. I must put emphasis on the fact that you are expected to keep up with your studies. School takes precedence.” She turned her head and eyed me for a moment, “I have no doubt that you are capable of this. Now about your class time table.”

We spent the next ten minutes going over what I could take and what I should take as well as all of the requirements I would have to meet in order to take them. McGonagall nit-picked everything, leaving no room for doubts or failure. My classes would double for my last full week before classes started and in three days a group of sixth and seventh years would be coming for specialized Auror training. She looked a bit upset about the whole thing.

“Hello Fat Lady. This is Luciana Rein, she’ll be living in the dormitories for the time being.” McGonagall spoke as she stopped before a portrait of a rather large woman.

The lady smiled showing all of her teeth that flashed in the light, “Hello dear. Would you like to hear me sing, I’ve just begun to-”

“Quiditch.” McGonagall told her quickly, “If you would let us in now.”

The lady glowered and huffed turning her head before the portrait swung forward revealing an opening. Professor McGonagall walked in and I hurried after her. The room was a sea of red and gold, a fire crackled happily in the hearth and warmth emitted from every surface. There was a group of couches before the fire and another three sets of chairs one of which had a wizards chess board before it. I stood in the entrance and marveled at the room. Everything here looked squishy and comfortable like whomever designed it wanted to make you feel at home.

“This way, Ms.Rein.”

The professor was standing in the doorway on the left side, a flight of stairs visible behind her. I trudged after her still looking around at the room as I went. We wound up and up and up, maybe six flights of stairs until we came to a plain wooden door.

“This will be your room where you will be staying with another girl. Normally it would be four more girls but we have an odd number of sixth year Gryffindor’s now.”

“Do you know who she is?”

“She is our female Prefect, Lily Evans.”

“Did she used to be friends with Severus Snape?”

McGonagall promptly turned and gave me an odd look, “I believe so. May I inquire as to how you know this?”

“Snape is a regular at the Apothecary. He showed me how to make Hate potion once and we’ve had a pleasant acquaintance since. I’ve seen a pretty redhead that used to hang out with him until about a year ago.”

“I see…” The professor frowned and motioned to the open door, “Ms.Evans will be arriving in the group later this week, I trust the two of you will be capable of settling arrangements then. I’ll leave you to it. Remember my office eight o’clock tonight for your advanced lesson.”

“Of course, Professor. Thank you.”

I looked about the round room and caught sight of a dozen or so books that I had as Ms.Pince to save for me on a window seat. I glanced about taking in the red and gold hangings around the bed, the pretty burgundy blankets that were folded at the edge of both beds. Five windows gave different views of the grounds, the one where the books sat looked out on the Quiditch pitch. I sat on the bed that was next to the window seat and stared at the empty bed across from me.

The last time I’d seen a bed empty like that, was when Shannon committed suicide.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stuck inside these walls,
Tell me there is hope for me.


Hello again. I'm neglecting my homework as always, seriously though aren't you people supposed to kick me in the ass about that? I mean, really. No I kid. On another note the lovely Sam receives all of the awards as well as the dedication of this chapter because she's been commenting and feeding my ego.
-A