Life on Point

Dance

*Libby*

“Dance, dance, dance!” The chant echoed around the hall, reverberating off the cold walls and crashing against the floor that was freezing under my bare feet. Their voices made me feel sick and a weakness bubbled inside me and made me feel so fragile I thought one small gust of wind would nock me off my feet instantly. Desperately I searched for her face in the audience. Among the manic, screeching crowd she sat quietly and when my worried eyes connected with her calm ones I felt immediately better. Her slightly pursed lips stretched into a smile and I could feel my heart steadily begin to return to a normal rhythm. Their chanting had now slightly faded into the background. All that mattered was that she was here, and I wasn’t going to disappoint her as long as I could help it. “You can do this,” she mouthed to me and I believed her.

Nodding at the pianist I got into position, my feet pointed and my hands gracefully by my side. The first note flowed followed by a beautiful sea of melody and my body acted of its own accord and moved desperately to the beat. I had missed this, missed being able to lose myself so completely in movement. All of a sudden just like the music I was liquid, fluid. Like a stream dancing through an already carved out path I moved as though I’d done this a thousand times. Out of the back of my mind I heard the music stop and I eased into the finish, arms lowering, points coming down, and smile beginning to evaporate.
Staring at the floor I waited for the jeers that I was certain would follow. Silence filled the hall and was somehow harsher than their chants had been. Suddenly, as if some magic signal had started it off every person in the audience got to their feet and clapped and cheered louder than I had even thought people had the ability to.

Like an idiot I stood there totally numb, not even smiling. Tears of astonishment formed in my eyes. I had never expected them to clap; I’d never even thought they would like it. Their response overwhelmed me and once again I searched for the dark haired, green eyed, pale skinned familiar face in the crowd. I needed someone to share this moment with, someone to help me realise it was real.

A small smile had crept across her face and when our eyes caught each other she nodded slightly, half-in improvement, half-in admiration. As I slowly ran out of the hall to the now steady patter of applause I let my huge grin return and I ran outside and danced across the parking spaces. All the energy that had built up inside of me since the audience’s unexpected reaction came spilling out into a mess of movement that offered a beautiful release. “Ahem,” somebody coughed behind me and, my face flushing scarlet, I turned around to see my spectator.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just an introduction really...the story will properly get going in the next chapter (: Umm so yeah, please tell me if you like it, or don't like it, or whatever. I just want to know if people are reading it :)