Moment

Finally Done Fighting

In my expression of terror he realized his mistake.
His mouth, which had been firing words like a machine gun the moment before, hung open lamely and his ocean eyes that I adored doubled in size. I could feel my mind crumbling and my heart screaming for salvation. I stared at him through blurry eyes and took everything in once more; his flawless mess of milk chocolate hair, his strongly built face and light skin, his long lashes framing moist crystals looking straight at me...like a beautiful picture painted just for me. But now that picture was torn. He had stabbed me with an icicle of cold, sharp words, and I couldn't help but feel the pain sick in.
I pictured myself running away from him, holding back tears like some movie scene while he called for me to come back. But suddenly, all his words melted in his strong embrace, and I fell apart in his arms. Sitting there my tears fell and dampened his blue t-shirt while I was too confused to doing anything else. I felt so safe in his arms, how could he have said such things just a moment ago?
"We're gonna fix this." he whispered through tears as we sat drenched in our dismay, "We're gonna fix this, I promise."