Status: The lack of capitals is a stylistic choice, not because I don't know how to use a shift key.

The Little Voices

save yourself, i’ll hold them back

go away. now. they don’t want you here, why would they want you here? can’t you see the way they slump when they think you’re approaching them? they don’t want to talk to you. nobody wants to talk to you. what could you possibly have to say that would interest them? you’re better off alone, sweetheart, where you can’t bore someone into an early grave.

no, don’t go and talk to her, what do you think you’re doing? she’ll laugh in your face the minute she sees you. pathetic, sweetheart, you’re pathetic. she doesn’t like you, she doesn’t even know who you are. you’re just that freak who hides in a corner between the pages of a book and the chords of a song. you don’t have a name or a face that anyone remembers.

yes, that’s right, go back to your corner. it’s safe here. you can’t hurt anyone and no one can hurt you. they’re not good for you, those other people. you only think you crave their company, their acceptance, their love. you just want someone to tell you you’re more than the freak in the corner but you’re not, sweetheart, you’re really, really not.

it’s okay. you can cry if you want to. no one will see and if they do, they won’t care. nobody cares. they only pretend they do because they want something from you and when they get it, when they’ve milked you dry for everything you have, they will leave you and you will be alone and you will cry, like you’re doing now. but it’s okay, sweetheart. it’s all gonna be okay.