Status: Hiatus

First Comes Love

Part One

Brooklyn and Collin, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage. Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!

Brooklyn looked at herself in the mirror one last time before leaving her dorm room. She had been invited to the Phi Delta Theta party of the year, she couldn’t mess it up. She had to look good. She had to be perfect.

“Come on, Brooke, we’re going to be late!” Zoey called from outside the dorm room door.

“Zoey, I hate when you call me Brooke! My name is Brooklyn. Not Brooke,” she said, shutting the door behind her with a smile on her face. For being polar opposites, these roommates got a long very well. It was only the beginning of October, and they considered themselves best friends.

“Brooke sounds better,” Zoey giggled as the girls walked arm in arm out of Nair Hall. Seeing these girls together was a shock to most people. Zoey’s outfit contrasted Brooklyn’s. They balanced each other out. Zoey was the whole reason Brooklyn was invited to the Theta party. Zoey was just voted the “Theta Sweetheart.” That only meant she went to all the parties, cleaned the house, and babied the boys in the fraternity when they were sick (or hungover.)

Brooklyn didn’t fit in quite as well at Clarion Rock University. She major’s in art therapy. She tends to keep to herself. She just sort of blended in with the crowd. The only real friend she’s made was Zoey.

When they reached Zoey’s blue Hyundai Santa Fae, Brooklyn slid into the passenger seat with worried eyes.

“Are you sure we should be driving there? I mean, it’s only six blocks away; we could walk,” she said as Zoey slid into the seat next to her. They engine made a soft purring noise as it started.

“Brooke, it’s like… 30 degrees outside! There’s no way we’re walking. Don’t worry, I’m an excellent drunk driver,” Zoey said with a bright smile. Brooklyn rolled her eyes, fighting a smile.

“As long as you don’t kill me, I’ll be happy,” she said.

“Hey! I said don’t worry, didn’t I? We’ll be just fine,” Zoey said with a little giggle. Brooklyn nodded, mocking her with a smile as she turned up the radio.

“I fucking love this song!” Brooklyn exclaimed, turning the radio up as high as it could go. ‘Sleazy’ by Ke$ha pounded through the speakers. The pair sang out every word, bobbing their heads along with the beat. They got so into the song, Zoey drove past the Theta house the first time and had to turn around in the Mini Mart parking lot.

They parked outside the house and shut the music off. The music from inside the house was so loud that they could hear it in the car. But the silence in the car was chilling.

“You nervous, girl?” Zoey asked, sensing some tension. Brooklyn nodded a little.

“Can you tell?” she responded.

“I can practically smell your fear,” Zoey said, giggling. Brooklyn let out a loud sigh and ran her fingers through her perfectly straightened hair.

“I shouldn’t be here,” she said, leaning her head on the window.

“What? What are you talking about, crazy?!” Zoey asked, shifting in her seat to face Brooklyn.

“You were invited here. Not me. I’m the weird art girl that sits in the library all day,” Brooklyn said.

“Oh, shut up! I invited you to this party. It’s fine. They asked about you,” Zoey said.

“Who did?” Brooklyn asked.

“Some of the guys! In Theta? They asked why I never brought you to the parties!” she said.

“They did?” Brooklyn felt a smile creep across her face.

“Yes!” Zoey said, getting antsy in her seat.

“Fine, fine. Let’s get this over with,” Brooklyn said.

“That’s the spirit!”