My Boyfriend List

Jean Carlos (but he moved away)

In my second grade class, our teacher announced we would be having a new student joining our class. He had big brownish-hazel eyes and spiky brown hair.
I thought he was so cute, so I moved on from Peter. Unfortunately at this age guys thought girls were gross and had cooties, so I had no luck with Peter and I was willing to try and see if Jean Carlos grew up yet. Nope.

Outside during recess, my friend, Alyssa, decided it would be funny to tell Peter that I had a crush on Jean Carlos and that I was over him. I liked them both. That was the difference between me and the rest of our age group, I never thought boys were gross; I was attracted at a young age.

Alyssa did indeed tell Peter in front our entire class, while playing double-dutch. I still can’t play that to this day, due to my uncoordinated skills. Peter seemed upset, but he was a “man” and didn’t want to show that he liked me and was hurt by me liking another boy.

So he pushed me into Jean Carlos and said “You can have her! She’s gross!” That hurt my feelings, but even at that age I just laughed it off (just like I still do).
Jean Carlos pushed me back and was like “Ewe, girls are gross! I don’t want her either.” This continued for the rest of our twenty minute play time. I don’t remember if I cried, but I was extremely hurt. I was seven and I was already rejected by two boys in the same day.

For my eighth birthday in third grade, I had my party at this arcade that had a few circular rides. I had to invite everyone in my class. Going to a private school and only having the most of fifteen classmates, you had to invite everyone. I of course had no problem with that, which meant more presents for me. But at such a young age, you don’t realize that your parents pay for the party, so it’s not really free presents. Also I wasn’t allowed to open my presents at the place because some kids would get upset that they don’t have presents. I find that ridiculous now, but at the time I was the same way at other kid’s parties.

When I got home and unwrapped my presents, I opened one from Jean Carlos. I saw the present was small and saved it for last, of course. I never learned that lesson, yet, “Good things come in small packages”. He gave me a ring, engraved with my initial. I later found out years later that he paid for it himself. Forty dollars for an eight year old to spend on another eight year old is expensive, but it was the cutest thing. He signed the card with, “Love, Jean Carlos”. That was the first time a boy told me he loved me.
Not long after that, we found out he was moving to South Jersey. I, on the other hand didn’t know until his last day in class with us. I don’t know how I wasn’t aware of this, but I guess I zoned out even at that age.
After lunch, Jean Carlos was leaving. When his mom came in the class to walk him out, he ran over to me and kissed my cheek. That was the last time I saw him.