Our Defects Prove Our Worth

Chapter 2

No longer was I wearing a pretty yellow sun dress, but an ugly, muddy, wet dress.

He had tripped me. I knew he was going to do something, but I chose to ignore it. Why was I so stupid?
Do I really doubt my own friendships? Do I, or do I not know him as well as I think I do? What if I don’t?
What if there are all these things about him that I have no clue of? Should I know about them? Would he want to tell me about them if I did?

I’m being neurotic, aren’t I? I hate it when I get like that. It happens a lot, though. I should be used to it. I tried, but I can’t. Its just one of those things, ya know?

He laughed as I sat up and tried the best I could to wipe the mud from my dress. It wouldn’t come off. I would have to wash it. I looked at him with a glare in my eye. He kept laughing. I stood up, and walked to where he was and sat next to him.

He stopped laughing, “It wasn’t so bad, was it?”

“M-nmm.”

“Good. Now, come here.” He opened his arms and gestured from me to lean on him. I did, and he closed his arms around me. As comfortable as that was, it felt awkward. I was in love with this boy and he had no clue.

We sat there like that, for who knows how long, just talking. We talked about a lot of things. One thing that I really wanted to talk about, we talked about it. And, that was what he was gonna do now that school is over. His plans were something that made me happy.

He was staying here. He wasn’t going to go off to college. He wasn’t going to immediently run off with his band. He was staying.

…But, for only a few years.

After that he wanted to start taking his band across the coast. I knew he couldn’t stay forever. He said he wanted me to go with him, but I wouldn’t be able to do all that traveling. I would go crazy. I know I would. Its happened before.

When the conversation turned, and he asked me what I was going to do, I said nothing. I just stayed silent. I honestly had no clue what I was going to do. I knew I didn’t want to go to college, and I knew I needed to do something with my life, but I didn’t know what I was going to do.

We talked about other things, but nothing as important as that. There were things more important, but we didn’t talk about those things. We could have, but we didn’t. I guess neither of us brought it up.

He tightened his grip around me. He started talking about something, but I wasn’t quite paying attention. I was intently focused on his face, watching his mouth move, paying no attention to the words that came out. He stopped suddenly, and looked at me.

“Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?”

My mind went blank. Did he actually just say that? If he did, did he mean it? Was I supposed to answer? It was a question, wasn’t it? What do I do?

I shook myself, mentally. I need to stop doing that.

All I could do, for now, was smile. Even though I was looking down, I could tell he was doing the same. I looked up to make sure. I didn’t actually get much chance to.

He kissed me.

Not just a regular kiss.

And, I’m not sure why…

But, I kissed back.