Status: ongoing

Priceless

Perfect life's a perfect hell.

"Unfathomably perfect" were the words people often used in describing my life. I pretty much had a solid idea on where they were basing that judgment, because I knew for a fact that had they not known my father was the CEO of a big company in L.A., my mother was a fashion designer recognized in Paris, and I was a straight-A student in one of the best schools in Phoenix, Arizona, they wouldn't have thought I was living that "unfathomably perfect life" they were talking about. They just pretty much saw the shallow side of me—the one that's "popular, rich, pretty, and smart". But had they dug in deep enough, they would have known the truth, the one I'd finally realized was irrelevant once they hear my name, during that big gathering my parents held in our house in L.A.

Who I was to people, really? Fitgerald? Sofie Fitzgerald’s daughter? Oh, I think she’s gonna be one of her mother’s model one day, and Her dad will have you killed and make it look accidental when you break his little princess’ heart or nail were the statements people said about me which I had found on an online journal that discussed how I had a perfect life. Some said I was the tamed version of Paris Hilton, some commented I was so lucky to have a life like this, and there were some who labelled me “bratty” and “snobbish”, but I couldn’t think of a time when I had presented those attitudes to anyone.

I wasn't a depressed teen with a broken soul, but I was far from perfect, as what my parents had wanted me to be. Most of the times, I think they’re just being selfish and they don’t want to have their image or reputation jeopardized, so I’m not allowed to even come near alcohol, go to parties, and leave the house at night. They wanted me to be a role model to others—they wanted people to look up to me, to make them see me flawlessly, but that wasn’t what I wanted. I just wanted to be real, to be me, but of course, they never gave a chance. So I obeyed, and pretty much became their little puppet all my life. I never did it for the money, the fame, the reputation, or any other form of reward. I simply do it because I loved my parents, despite the fact that they couldn’t come close to loving the real me.

There was only one person in the world who understood me down to the bones, and it was my best friend for 15 years, Erin. She knew things about me beyond physical attributes, the one thing people seemed to like about me. They always gushed about my hazel eyes and my naturally auburn hair, both of which I’d gotten from my dad, my reddish lips and legs that went on for days, which I’d inherited from my mother, and my figure which my mother had taken care of ever since I was little. But Erin saw past through all of that. She had been my rock and pretty much my journal ever since we met, and she was the only thing in my life that was legally accepted by my parents, mostly because they had known Mr. and Mrs. Nickelsen, Erin's parents, in college. They let me go with her because they trusted her, and I quote my father, “I know she will keep you out of all the troubles you could get yourself into.” At first I’d actually thought he was kidding when he told me that, because they knew that Erin drank, her brothers were band dudes, her parents weren’t that strict, and she was carefree. She reeked of freedom and carelessness, and it was actually evident on her features: her round, wide blue eyes that seemed to gleam with mischief every time; her full, reddish lips that all the boys found luscious; her average body which she could accentuate with her choice of clothes; and her naturally copper hair that was dyed black and now only hang below her shoulders. My parents were aware of Erin’s personality, but what they didn't know was the kind of things Erin and I had been doing on those sleepovers that we have had, and I had no idea whether it even crossed their minds, considering Erin’s habits they knew of. Maybe it did, but maybe they didn’t care yet because there hadn’t been any news about it anyway.

Of course when we were still innocent, naive kids who acquired happiness just by staying on the swings for hours and munching on sweets afterwards, staying up late and talking about our crushes was already a big accomplishment, due to the fact that our parents made us sleep early. But when we grew up, it became a little different...a lot different.

“I swear on my non-existing grave, Erin Mikaela Nickelsen, if we get caught tonight because of those five-inches heels of yours clicking loudly with your every step, I am going to hate you for the rest of my life,” I muttered to her as we made our way to the backyard, which was the easiest access to the outside world. Normally, I wasn’t this uptight about sneaking, because we had done it so flawlessly in the past four years we had been doing it. But this time, Erin had chosen to spice it up a little and add a little challenge to our habit by wearing her heels that were as noisy as her car which was going to come screeching in the streets anytime soon.

“I want to appear taller, okay?” she whisper-yelled to me as she held her purse tighter to her chest and looked around, checking if there were people seeing us.

“And you couldn’t have walked barefoot until we reach your car? Geez, Erin, it makes so much sense for you to want to appear taller while sneaking out, I mean clearly I don’t know you’re 5’4” and I’m deceived by these heels of yours,” I muttered again.

This time, she laughed softly. “God, lighten up, okay? We’re not gonna get caught. My parents are sleepers, and so are Trey and his girlfriend. They’re not gonna know what we’re doing,” she whispered, looking at me for a moment. “And even if they find out about this, I’m not the one who’s gonna be in trouble. You do realize that, don’t you? My parents care more about you than me.” She faked a sad sigh and put a hand to her chest dramatically.

I rolled my eyes at her. “They’re gonna scold you as well for taking me with you,” I reminded her. But even I knew that their anger at Erin would just last for a few hours, and after that, she would be back in business again, while I would possibly be reprimanded for the rest of my life—if I could call it my life.
Erin just responded with an eye-roll, and I smiled as she turned to her back, silently thanking her for bearing with me. Erin didn’t need to sneak out on most days—if she asked properly, her parents would allow her to go out at night. But she had me with her, and I wasn’t allowed to even leave the house at beyond 8 PM except when I was with my parents or Erin’s parents, so we had to do it. Plus, it was a school night, and I doubt that her parents would have let her go, even if she was going to be with her brother, Garrett.

We both crossed the low yard, and finally reached her car. She opened the doors with her key carefully, and then got into the driver’s seat. I slid into the passenger’s seat silently, and closed my door without a noise as she slammed hers and buckled up. I rolled my eyes at Erin’s extremities and strapped up as well, and after I did, she stepped on the pedal and began driving away—fast, I must add.

Erin had two older brothers: Trey and Garrett, who both had bands of their own. I knew those two well enough to say that they were the kind of boys who were passionate about what they do—and who they date. Trey loved both his girlfriend and his band very much, while Garrett was presently devoted to only one thing, his band The Maine. He and his ex-girlfriend Rachel had just broken up a few months ago and until now, he still hadn’t moved on. He truly loved her and Erin and I were both aware that he wouldn’t be dating anyone else for the next few months to come.

Those two boys treated me like I was part of their family, and I was really grateful for that. I knew that they had my back, maybe not as much as they protected Erin, but it was comforting to find persons who accepted you for who you are and saw through the shallow side of you.

When we were far enough from their house, Erin opened the radio and began blasting I Would Walk 500 Miles all throughout the drive. It was one of our guilty pleasures, and so we sang along happily, and I was feeling freedom course through my veins as I did. I loved my “night life”, as what Erin referred to it since I was a different person by the morning—it was only during these times that I could throw away the burden of being someone else in school and home, and be myself for a while.

We finally reached our destination, and we excitedly got out of the car, both eager to hang out with our dearest boys aka The Maine, our brothers from another mothers—in Erin and Garrett’s case, it was the same mother, but for the rest of us, no. Nevertheless, it didn’t change the fact that I loved those boys like my own family. In fact, they were my real family. They made me truly happy, and they disregarded my last name, mostly because they knew how it felt as well to be thought of as perfect when you were really not. Because of this, and a lot of other things, we got along.

It wasn’t ideal, I know, to hang out in a bar and drink with a bunch of boys and a girl you call family, but it was what I wanted. As ironic as it sounded, it was my safe place—they were my safe place, drunk or not. And although I knew my parents would probably disown me or lock me up in the house for the rest of my life when they find out about this, it didn’t stop me from seeing them.

We entered the bar and quickly spotted John, who was standing a few feet from the door, focused on the band that was playing on the mini-stage. I smiled as I walked towards him, trying not to make too much noise.

“Oh my God, John O?! Can I have a picture with you?!” I exclaimed in a different voice. He quickly turned to face me, a mischievous smile making its way to his face upon seeing it was me.

“Sure, after you let me buy you a drink,” he said and then put an arm over my shoulder and started leading me to where the others were, I supposed. I confirmed I was right when I saw Kennedy, Pat, Jared, Garrett, and also Erin, sitting on one booth, laughing.

“Are they drunk already?” I asked, referring to the boys.

“No, they’re just happy to see you and Erin,” he replied. I smiled at this. It had only been their second week here, since their last tour finished then, and we had only seen them twice last week because Erin and I still had school while they had band practice. “We only have about two months break before tour starts again, and we’ll miss you both.” He squeezed me a little and I could have sworn I felt my heart melt. I looked up at him with a smile.

“We’ll make the most out of it, I swear,” I told him. He smiled back at me and we finally reached the table, and soon everyone was hugging me.

John was the closest to me of all the five of them. He was like the guy best friend I never had, and he told me a lot of things he claimed he had never told anyone before. Like the fact that he felt something for Erin, which scared him to death, because it wasn’t sisterly love.

“Hey Johnny, broken some poor girl’s heart yet?” Erin teased as John took the seat next to her, a huge teasing smile on her face. Erin never told me how she felt about John, and I couldn’t read her, so I pretty much had no idea if she liked him or not.

John laughed at this. “Hey, I love girls. I always try to please them and keep their hearts intact,” he said.

“And he fails at it all the time,” Kennedy added, shaking his head. “Because John O is afraid of commitment!”

John rolled his eyes, but he was still smiling. “So why are we suddenly discussing me again? I sincerely thought we came here to watch our other friends play and bond with our two girls as well,” he said.

“They’re your friends?” I asked as I looked at the stage and studied the faces of the people on there. The vocalist was blonde, and so was the guitarist, and the other guitarist had dark hair and he was also singing back-up. And then there was the dark-haired bassist, and the dark-haired drummer, who was, surprisingly, a girl.

My girl, I’d cross the whole world
For someone like you, oh-oh
No matter where I go
Oh-oh, my unpredictable girl
Impossible girl, you know that it’s true
Oh-oh, no matter what you do
I’d cross the whole world for someone like you

"Yeah, they're our friends," Jared answered me. "They're The Summer Set. They just got back from their tour today, and they'll be joining us on our next one."

They were good, and I already loved the song they were currently playing. Also, I liked the fact that their drummer was a girl. I continued watching them, and pretty soon Erin moved beside me, staring at them.

"It's a good thing Brian cut his hair," she said, and I didn't know who she was referring to or to whom she was addressing that statement. "That big, curly hair of his was ridiculous. And Stephen looks better with his hair a little bit longer like that. God, I haven't seen them in like what, a year?"

"Um, I dunno?" I said questioningly. "How long have you actually known them? How come I don't? They're good." I was really wondering why Erin hadn't even mentioned them to me before. She should have known I was going to like the band.

She shrugged. "I got caught up in other bands, I guess," she explained, turning her face to me. "And I think the last time I saw them personally was at Justin Godsey's party. The one you refused to come to, remember?"

I just nodded. It was almost a year ago, but I still remember why I refused to come. I had a family affair in San Diego. Dad was closing some big business deals, and they wanted to meet his family. Of course, I couldn't disagree with my parents mostly because it was not gonna do me any good anyway, so I didn't go with Erin to that party. So until now, I still had no idea who this Justin Godsey was aka one of Erin's party pals.

"Last time you saw them was last year? So you don't know that Stephen and Brigitte had already broken up?" Pat asked Erin, I assumed.

"Really? Since when?" Erin asked as she turned to Pat, seemingly in shock upon hearing the news between Stephen and Brigitte, two people I knew nothing about.

"It was a mutual decision, though," Kennedy inserted, "so they're still friends up to now."

They continued talking about the band members, and since I didn't know who they were, I just drifted away from the conversation and concentrated on the music. I quickly picked up that what they were now playing was, I supposed, their own rendition of the song Love in This Club.

Pretty soon, their set was finished, and we all clapped as they introduced themselves and said goodnight. They walked off the stage and as I settled back into my seat and took a drink from the table, John, who was opposite me, stood up.

"I'll ask them to join us," he said as he brought his bottle into his lips and walked off to where the band was.

Kennedy collapsed beside me and laid his head on my shoulder. "I think Gabi and I are going to end it soon," he said with a sigh, and I almost choked on my drink upon hearing him. He and Gabi Hawkins were adorable. They had been together for almost two years now and I could see that Kennedy loved her deeply.

"Why? How come?" I asked in a wondrous tone.

"I...I think she's not into me anymore," he started. "She might have fallen out of love for me already. She had asked for a cool-off a month ago, and when I came to see her last week, she told me she wasn't ready to talk to me yet. And then I got a text from her this morning, saying she wanted to talk to me tomorrow. I think...I think it's gonna be it."

I didn't know what to say, since I was never good at this, so I just put my arm around him in a half-hug. He sighed once more and squeezed me tight before pulling away.

"Thanks, I needed that," he said then shot me a small smile. Jared then called him and he smiled at me once more before walking away. I felt sorry for Kennedy, because I knew he had been smitten with Gabi the moment he saw her, and now it was all crashing down. I was glad that I had never been in-love nor strung out on a guy, ever. It would just add up to the heartache I was feeling because of my biological family.

My thoughts were cut off by someone tapping my back. I quickly turned and John's lanky figure greeted me. I looked up at his smiling face, my expression questioning.

"C'mon, I want to introduce you to the guys," he said, motioning to his right. I looked first and saw Erin and Pat talking to The Summer Set.

"You've put on weight! That's good, you actually aren't just skin and bones now," I heard Erin playfully say to that guy with dark hair, whom I'd recognized as the bassist, as she poked him on the ribs. I tore my eyes away from them and brought them back to John as I stood up.

"Okay, let's go," I said and followed him as he walked to where the guys were. I was actually nervous at first, because it was going to be so hard explaining to them why they can't ever let much people know about me hanging out with them.

"Hey guys," John said, his voice breaking into both my thoughts and the conversation. "Here is Bailey Fitzgerald, aka the girl with parent issues who sneaks out with Erin all the time."

I felt my cheeks flame up at his words. It was embarrassing how he'd put it—"parent issues", like my father was touching me inappropriately and my mother was a drunkard. And it didn't help that they had all laughed at what John said.

"Nice meeting you, sneaky Bailey," the lead vocalist said with a big grin on his face as he offered his hand to me. "I'm Brian."

I tried to smile genuinely, washing away the embarrassment that had been in me a moment ago, as I took his hand and shook it. "Same goes to you," I said. "You guys are good, by the way. Really."

"Thank you!" Brian then pulled me into a quick hug, and then kept his hand on my back as he pushed me towards the two guitarists. "This blonde dude is Josh, and this is John. Josh is a flirt and he's crazy, so you better not shake his hand."

I laughed at Brian's charm and felt myself quickly being at ease with him. "Nice to meet you both," I said and shook both their hands despite Brian's warning. John smiled at me and it gave me the vibes that he was the sweetest among them all, and probably the youngest, too.

"I'm perfectly sane and amazing," Josh said, not letting go of my hand. "Brian's just jealous because he can't get girls to like him, and he can't pull off the stunts I can flawlessly do."

Brian scoffed, "You mean I'm not as thick-faced as you are. Let go of her hand, there's still Jess and Stephen."

"Call me," Josh mouthed playfully before finally letting go of my hand. I just laughed, liking how these people were so easy to talk to.

Brian turned me once more to face the last batch, the drummer and the bassist. I looked at the girl and she immediately smiled at me the moment our eyes met.

"I'm Jess," she said in a friendly voice as she extended an arm towards me. "Contrary to popular teasing, I'm a girl, a straight one at that. But you're really pretty."

"Oh my God, you're amazing," I genuinely said as I shook her hand. "It's really cool that you're like, so good in playing the drums. I think you're the first drummer girl I've ever seen, and really, that's hot."

She laughed softly as she pulled me into a hug. "I like you," she stated. "I have a feeling we're gonna get along real well." Oddly enough, I felt the same way. Jess' hug was warm and welcoming, and although it seemed fast to say, I loved her already.

"And I have a feeling that once you both get wasted tonight, you're gonna make out with each other and be a couple after that," an unfamiliar voice said as Jess pulled away from me. I immediately looked at him, not feeling the least bit annoyed by his comment. If anything, I was amused, and I could tell he was, too, upon seeing that smirk on his face. I studied that lopsided smile for a moment before making my eyes meet his. I looked into his dark eyes that matched the colour of his messy hair, and noticed that his eyes were twinkling with mischief.

I returned his smirk as he gave me an acknowledging nod. "Stephen," that was all he said before he turned to Josh and grabbed the latter's bottle.

For a second, I was quite intrigued by how he could make a comment like that and then get snobbish all of a sudden. I didn't bother saying anything to him because he had turned away already and my mind suddenly got busy. A few theories made their way to my mind and I couldn't help but make a lot of assumptions upon why he was like that: maybe it was because he didn't like how I'd immediately become at ease with his band mates; maybe he didn't like me at all; or maybe, and I hoped this was the real reason, he was really just like that.

Brian gave me a comforting smile as he put an arm over my shoulder. "He'll come through," he said. "He probably just got star-struck by your pretty face, hence the attitude."

I just laughed softly at Brian, not knowing how to respond to that. I let him led me back to our booth where Kennedy and Jared were, laughing at something they were looking at from their phones.
"So, Bailey," he started. "You like someone from The Maine?"

I wasn't that surprised when he asked that. The five boys were really good-looking, but Brian didn't know that they were all family to me. I shook my head at him. "Nah. They're like my brothers already," I answered. "And I don't really see myself being committed yet. I haven't come across the right guy yet."

He laughed, and I didn't know if he was mocking me. "Just keep your heart open," he said before patting my shoulders and running off to Kennedy and Jared. I just smiled a little, not really taking his words seriously. Keep my heart open? Yeah, no way, I didn’t need more complicated things as of the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Should I continue with this? Hahaha please comment if I should or not, tell me what you think

I messed up the chapter title at first, I typed in "Perfect's life a perfect hell" sorry about that. I changed it now. :)