Status: ongoing

Priceless

Best things happen when you're away

~~~

The rest of the week went by fast, and before I knew it, I was on a plane with Mom to Paris to model for her new clothing line which bore my name. According to my estimation, we would arrive there around 1 in the afternoon due to the time difference. The fashion show would start at 8 PM on Saturday in a place I couldn’t spell nor pronounce.

I was still annoyed with my mother dragging me into this, but admittedly, I was a bit comforted by the fact that Alex was going to be there. We had another date last Thursday night, which, thankfully, I didn’t mess up. I found out more about him then, and now I had grown quite comfortable with him. But not fully—there was just this part of me that knew I could somehow trust him, but not about everything. I was a little bit at ease with him, but he didn’t know about my escapades with Erin and the others. He accepted my choice in music, though, although his was different. But he was funny and nice, and sweet. He was also a conversationalist, which amused me.

Sitting beside my mom was nothing but boring, so I just chose to sleep it off and enjoy dreamland since I wouldn’t be able to enjoy anything with my eyes open.

I drifted off to sleep with thoughts of how the fashion show was gonna go later on. Mom had taught me how to walk on a ramp before, but I just wasn’t into it now. I was a bit nervous, because well, like the date, I didn’t want to mess it up. I found solace on the thought that I could walk in heels. Yeah, that was probably gonna get me through it.

I had no idea how long I had slept, because it felt like I had only blinked and then there was Mom softly shaking my body. “Sweetie, we’re here,” she said into my ear and I slowly opened my eyes and felt the pain on my butt and lower back.

I was distracted as we deplaned, just observing other people as they made their way out. I made up different stories about them in my mind. The old woman who had a Southern accent was probably there in Paris to visit her amazing, model daughter; that guy in a suit was probably a businessman like my father, off to meet a client and close a big deal; that tall, white girl wearing a nice dress and big sunglasses was probably a celebrity whom I just didn’t recognize.

“Bailey,” my mom’s voice broke into my thoughts and as I looked at her, I’d noticed we were already outside of the airport. “Get in the limo.”

I almost rolled my eyes at that. Of course she would get a limo. She just couldn’t ride a cab or shit.

I turned to the black limousine that was in front of me, and got in. My mother followed and began talking to the chauffer in French, so basically, I felt left out. I just looked outside the window and looked around. The only thing I recognized was The Eiffel Tower, though. I mentally sighed at my poor Paris knowledge and wished I was just back in Arizona. I never had much amour about France, and being here and seeing all these places made me suddenly remember Pat’s theory on my lack of love for it—he had told me before that maybe I just haven’t met the right person to go to France with. Although it seemed like a crazy idea then, I was now coming to realize that maybe it was true.

We got to a hotel and Mom informed me that we were going to stay there because it was nearer to the venue. She then started talking to the girl behind the counter, and as I got lost on checking my phone, her voice disturbed me once more.

“Sweetie, this is Amelia,” she said, and as I looked up I saw a girl standing beside her. Well, girl was probably not the right term—I mean you use that with teenagers or kids and it certainly didn’t fit someone who was flaunting red stilettos and a dress I had known was one of Mom’s designs. She had blonde hair which was curled at the ends, and with her slim waist, full boobs, slim waist, and wide, green eyes, she reminded me of The Maine’s The Way We Talk. I had to keep myself from smirking at that thought.

“She’s going to be with us until we’re here. She’s my secretary and she is also the holder of the event tonight,” Mom continued, and I smiled politely and nodded.

“Hi, Amelia. I’m Bailey,” I said.

“It’s such a pleasure to finally meet you in person, Ms. Bailey,” she gushed and offered a hand which I gladly shook. “I’m sure it’s gonna be amazing working with you.”

“I’m sure tonight will be delightful,” I responded with a smile, and then she turned to Mom and they began talking about the event. Soon enough, we were inside our room, which was almost at the topmost floor of the hotel. I was just lying in my bed when Mom came in and informed me that she was doing a press conference at 5 PM and she might go directly to the show after that. She also told me that Amelia was the one in charge of my ride to the place, and we had to be there at 6 pronto. I just nodded all throughout her orders and when she was gone, I decided to call Erin. It was already 3 in the afternoon and I knew it was about 6 AM there and she probably was still asleep, but I couldn’t care less.

Her phone rang numerous times before she picked it up, but she wasn’t even speaking.

“Dammit, Erin, have you lost your voice or something?” I asked. And then I heard a familiar voice in the background.

“It’s Bailey,” he said, and I was confused a little. I knew they didn’t drink last night; Erin had specifically told me she was going to do a project all night, and John had also informed us all about this family dinner they were going to have. But why were they in the same place?

“Erin? John?” I said, my voice nothing but confused. “Are you guys in the same place?”

I heard muffled voices, and I couldn’t make out what they were saying but after a few seconds, Erin had taken over the phone. “Hey, Bails,” she greeted, trying to sound cheery but I could detect shakiness in it. “Um, yeah—we kinda, um, he stayed here? He and Garrett—uhm—”

“You’re lying,” I stated, not accusing. I just knew it. “He said he was gonna have dinner with his whole family. Erin, just tell me the truth.”

There was a sigh on the other end of the line. I waited for her to speak. I heard her asking John to leave the room for a while, and then after that, her voice was clearer. “I had sex with John,” she whispered. “I had—I, don’t—we were drunk but I know it’s not the alcohol. He told me he loves me and I figured since it seems like you’re into Alex now, you don’t want John anymore and—”

“Wait, WHAT?” I exclaimed, couldn’t process her words. “I don’t want John anymore? Erin, I never did. We were friends—and we are friends. I never wanted him and he never wanted me either. And I know that he loves you, he told me himself.”

“Really?” she sounded a little bit surprised. “I mean—oh my God, I totally thought you two had a thing. Especially that night at Jess’ rest house. You slept so closely together. Oh fuck—I should’ve believed you when you told us at the beach that he’s just like a brother to you. I honestly thought you were just blinded by everything else and shit, I didn’t—God, I have loved him for a long time, Bails! Oh my—”

“Okay, Erin, breathe,” I said softly, trying not to laugh at her. At the same time, I was wondering why we were having this conversation over the phone. This was a convo supposedly shared personally, so I could hug her for comfort and personally calm her down. But well, we were miles apart and I had no choice but to talk to her virtually. “Did you tell him that you love him as well?” I asked.

“Yeah, I did—oh fuck, last night was a mess. We got drunk in his house and then I started getting emotional and telling him he would never feel the same way. And then I think after that he confessed on loving me and, well, we kissed, and—”

“Spare me,” I said quickly, stopping her. She laughed a little at this. “You know what? You should talk to him about...this. I should probably hang up now. But promise me you’re gonna tell me everything once I go back—everything about the talk that you two will have.”

“Even the sex, if you want—”

“I specifically said the talk,” I said, cutting her off again. She laughed and I rolled my eyes. “God, just talk to him, okay?”

“I will,” she replied. “Hope you’ll have a good time there!”

“Hope so, too,” I said glumly, said another goodbye, and then hung up. After that, I stared at my phone and found myself smiling. I was truly happy for Erin and John. I was like, the happiest best friend in the world. I wanted nothing but for them to be both happy.

My phone suddenly vibrated, and although I had already saved his number, it didn’t lessen my surprise. In fact, if anything, I was more than shocked as to why he would text me when he knew I was overseas. Nevertheless, I opened his text and read it.

Have fun in Paris. See you when you get back.

It was weird, probably irrational, and confusing why that simple text from Stephen made me smile and bite my lip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys...

seriously...

tell
me
what
you
think

x