Another Teen Love Story

Chapter Thirteen

Wednesday passed without event, and before I knew it, I was sitting in my assigned seat in my Lifestyle Choices class. My favorite class. Not.

Part of me had been hoping that Aiden wouldn’t show up to class today, but I knew he was here. I had seen him sitting at the Popular table at lunch, drowning amidst the cheerleaders and the jocks. But that didn’t change the fact that I continually felt his piercing gaze aimed in my direction all during the lunch period.

Sure enough, just moments before the tardy bell rang, Aiden waltzed into the class with his friend – a tall dark-haired, dark-skinned boy called Luke. Aiden wasted no time in slipping into the seat besides mine, a sly smile on his face. His brown hair fell into his silver eyes in a way that, admittedly, I found attractive.

“Hey baby. I’ve missed you,” Aiden said, mockingly pursing his lips together in a pout. I simply rolled my eyes and turned from him. Thankfully, we were cooking today, so minutes later Ms. Agnew directed us to the cooking stations. I would be able to concentrate on cooking and, hopefully, be able to ignore Aiden’s antics.

Today, our assignment was to follow the recipe provided to us. We were assigned banana muffins. My anxiety level spiked several levels. I was a complete klutz when it came to cooking. Sure, I could chop things and mix them up, but when it came to measuring ingredients and setting temperatures, I was completely useless.

Aiden probably noticed the strain on my face. “What’s the matter, sugar boo,” Aiden cooed. I shuddered. Where did he come up with these sickening nick names?

“Nothing’s wrong. Now move, I need the flour,” I said curtly, pushing him aside and pulling the bag from the bottom cabinet and plopping it on the counter. I then proceeded to gather all the other ingredients and utensils we were going to need. All the while, Aiden simply leaned against the counter, watching me with an amused smile. There was a light in his eyes that made me feel physically ill.

I was halfway through measuring out the dry ingredients into the main bowl when Aiden started to snicker. Frustrated, I threw down the plastic measuring cup and turned to him. “What – might I ask – is so funny?” I demanded.

“Watching you cook. It’s entertaining.”

“What is so entertaining about it?” I asked, not liking the way I felt like I was being made fun of.

“Everything.” I scowled and turned back to the muffins. Aiden was impossible to understand. He never just went out and said what was on his mind. It was frustrating. But I didn’t want to get into an argument. I just wanted to finish cooking these moments and go home.

I mixed all the ingredients together and poured them into the baking pan. My work looked nothing like the example on the recipe, but I didn’t think anything of it. I pushed the tray into the preheated oven and set the timer. Then, all there was left to do was wait.

I sat down on one of the stools and leaned on the counter, watching as the seconds passed on the timer. Aiden coolly slid up next to me. Instinctively, I scooted a few inches away. Aiden didn’t follow, and for that I was thankful.

“So, Anna,” he said in a slow purr that made me skin crawl unpleasantly. “This weekend I am getting together with a couple friends and we’re going to cruise the bay in my yacht. You can come, if you want.”

My jaw practically dropped. I looked over at Aiden as if a third eye grew out of the center of his forehead. Did he seriously just ask me out? “No thanks,” I finally managed to stutter. My entire mouth and throat had grown dry as an acidic taste filled my mouth.

“Why not? Do you have something better to do? Maybe help your Italian friend at her restaurant?” Aiden asked, mentioning Donna.

First I scowled because I didn’t like the tone he used when talking about Donna; as if he mocked her for not having millions of dollars at her disposal. Then I scowled because he automatically assumed I didn’t have plans.

“As it so happens, I do have plans,” I said haughtily.

“You do, do you?” he asked coyly.

“Yes.”

“And what are these plans of yours?” Aiden inquired.

I only took a quick moment to come up with a lie. “I’m babysitting my sister.”

“Babysitting, hm?” Aiden sounded. The smile on his face indicated his disbelief.

“Yes. My parents have a…thing…to go to Saturday night, and I have to watch my little sister.”

“You could hire a professional babysitter.”

Once again, I scowled. I was beginning to lose my patience with Aiden. I decided this was the time to set his straight. “Listen, Aiden, I’m flattered at your invitation, but I have a boyfriend. I’m not interested.”

“Boyfriend, huh? What’s his name?”

“Jeff.”

“How long have you two been dating?” he asked.

“Two years,” I said, though my brain automatically reminded me otherwise. One year, eleven months…

“Two years. That’s a long time. Is it serious?”

“As serious as it could be.”

“And he still lives in Seattle, I assume,” Aiden said. I eyed him suspiciously. How did he know I came from Seattle? My suspicion was quickly abated. Everyone in this dinky town knew about me and my family. We were like local celebrities. It probably wasn’t hard for someone to learn my hometown.

“Yeah. He lives in Seattle,” I answered.

“And how is the long distance relationship going?” Aiden asked.

I snorted and looked at him, suddenly feeling threatened. “Why do you want to know?” I asked, my voice terse and defensive.

Aiden held his hands up in the air, but a smile played on his lips. “I sense hostility coming from your side of the conversation. I’m guessing there is trouble in paradise?”

I pressed my lips together tightly and faced away from him. Even just looking at Aiden infuriated me. “No. No trouble.”

“Really? Well, that is good, I guess,” Aiden said, and then lapsed into silence.

I sighed in relief. It sounded like he was dropping the subject. Good.

“You know, if I were in your shoes, I would be paranoid about my girlfriend cheating on me,” Aiden said. At that instant I felt every muscle in my body tense. I would be lying if I said I hadn’t worried about Jeff being unfaithful. It was hard to be apart from each other for so long. We had only been apart a month and I was starting to forget the warmth of his body.

“I am not worried. Jeff is a good to me. He wouldn’t hurt me like that.” But even I wasn’t completely convinced as those words left my mouth.

“But he is still a guy,” Aiden added. “And guys only want one thing.” He grinned and wagged his eyebrows suggestively. A sickening, acidic taste rose in my mouth.

Suddenly, a strange smell reached my nose. It was hot, and smelt like burning bread. My eyes grew wide. “The muffins!” I looked at the timer on the oven. It had gone off minutes ago. How had I missed it?

I dove to the oven and tore open the door. A wave of thick smoke accosted my senses and I was forced to back away, gasping for air.

When I finally pulled the muffins out of the oven I set them on the counter. The muffins were nothing more than burnt carcasses. Ms. Agnew stepped by and shook her head, clicking her tongue as she did so.

“Next time, I advise you put the muffins in the tins. And make sure you take them out when the timer goes off.”

I sighed and proceeded to chuck the scorched muffins into the waste receptacle. Aiden just watched me, that same amused smile on his face. I pointedly avoided eye contact with him for the rest of the period, a fact that only seemed to amuse him further.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's chapter thirteen!
Enjoy!
Comment and subscribe!