Status: Coming Soon!

Hidden

fifteen

The next morning, Allie sat in the cafe, mindlessly skimming her finger over the rim of her coffee cup. She was tired, and didn't know what to expect from this meeting. She was nervous, frankly, and hated that she was.

It was a little after one when the door dinged, and Allie looked up. Tyler's eyes scanned the room before landing on her, and he gave her a ghost of a smile before heading her way.

"Hey," he said quietly as he pulled out the chair across from her and sat down, taking off his coat. Allie mumbled a reply, and there was immediately an awkward silence between them. Allie noted, much to her chagrin, that he was dressed in a dark green sweater that made his eyes brighter. She looked down, not saying anything. The ball was in his court.

He shifted awkwardly. "I don't know what to say."

Allie felt herself grow irritated, and she sighed frustratedly. "Your texts seemed to imply otherwise." Her words came out quick and sharp.

Tyler inhaled a quick breath before letting it out. He ran a hand over his face before shaking his head and speaking. "That's not... I mean..." He sighed, and Allie could tell he was frustrated, too. "I know what I want to say. It's all I've thought about. I just don't want to say it wrong."

"Okay."

He sighed again, and Allie felt a twisted sort of joy build up in her at seeing him so flustered. After the few months she'd had, dealing with his games, it pleased her to see him at a loss for words.

"Okay, look," he began again. "I'm sorry, Allie. I am. I'm just... I'm not used to someone needing me," he admitted. "And I guess I didn't want to admit that I needed you too. I know you're too smart to buy my excuses, but you make me nervous and when I'm nervous, I act like an idiot. I mean, more than usual." He paused, laughing shortly at his statement, before falling silent again. Allie held her breath as the silence lingered. "I don't expect you to want me anymore," he finally said. "I just wanted you to hear from me, in person, that I'm sorry, and that I know I screwed up big time."

Now it was Allie that was lost for words. She had expected an apology, but she hadn't expected an admittance of the true reasoning behind his actions. She definitely hadn't expected him to sound so genuine. Thoughts raced through her head, and she tried to pinpoint the ones she wanted. She was completely caught off guard by his confessions.

"I don't..." She started to speak, then trailed off, staring down at her cup. "I mean... It's not that I don't want you. That hasn't changed. That's beside the point." She chanced looking up at him, only to find him looking at her intently. "Being with you is tiring," she continued, biting her lip and looking down again. "I never know when you're going to do something stupid." She took a deep breath before meeting his eyes again and saying, "I do want to be with you. I want to be with you so badly that I overlooked everything that had happened between us until last week. And then it just felt like you didn't even care that I forgave you after all of that, that you didn't care enough to put aside your pride after you knew how I felt, after I chose to be with you despite everything." Allie shrugged, and fell silent.

Tyler spoke again after a moment. He crossed his arms, leaning back in his chair, shaking his head. "I really am an idiot," he said quietly. Allie stared down at the table. "I feel the same way," he said after a long pause, leaning forward so that he was speaking quietly, to her and no one else. "Deep in my stupid ways, you have to know its true, Allie," he said seriously. She looked up at the tone of his voice, and felt a lump in her throat building at the look in his eyes. He looked at her for a few moments, his eyes searching hers. He seemed to hesitate before speaking again. "Looch is having a party at his house this Friday." He sounded nervous, making Allie want to hear what he was going to say. "If you want to come with me, everyone will know I'm yours, I promise you." The uncertain, but contemplative, look on her face must have prompted him further as he continued. "No other girls. No lies. No hiding." His voice grew even quieter as he added, "But if you just want to put this behind you, tell me now. I won't bother you again."

Allie's stomach and mind refused to settle. This was it. She chewed on the inside of her cheek. It felt like forever when she finally met his eyes again. "Trusting you is going to take time," was all she said.

Tyler nodded, his eyes not leaving hers. He didn't miss a beat. "I have all the time in the world."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those who commented. I really do love hearing what you guys have to say. Please check out my other stories and let me know what you think as well!

Xo
- L