Status: Coming Soon!

Hidden

eight

As Allie followed behind her aunt and uncle into the lobby of the venue, she shivered a bit at the change in temperature before handing her coat to a man who politely offered his services to the three of them. She ran her hands up and down her arms, the warmth of the building heating up her chilled body. As they entered the crowd into the main room where the event was being held, Allie found herself trying to look casual as her eyes wandered around the room. She couldn't deny that she was excited to see Tyler again.

Her stomach fluttered as she thought about the night in her living room a few days ago. The guys had left on a three day road trip the day after, and they had arrived back home this morning. After what Allie assumed were afternoons well spent sleeping, the team, wives, girlfriends, and families were on hand for a fundraiser being held to raise money for the Boston Cancer Hospital. 

Allie said quick hello's to anyone she recognized as she trailed after her aunt and uncle, noticing that, despite the long flight they had endured the day prior, they were all cheery and smiling like they were getting paid for it. 

Allie's aunt and uncle stopped at a table close to the right side of the room, and Allie stood with her hand on the back of the seat, taking in the scene around her. There was a stage in front of her, and tables laid out in the centre of the room. There was a buffet of appetizers against the opposite wall; fruit, crackers, hors d'oeuvres - everything. From what her uncle had told her, the night would consist of people bidding on items the players would sell. The money from the tickets they had sold for the event would go to the hospital as well.

Allie couldn't spot Tyler anywhere. Oh well, she thought. The night is young.

***

Allie smiled at a couple who passed by her as she headed towards the table where drinks were being served. She waited in line, subconsciously looking around, and smiling at people who caught her eye. She was about to turn back and move forward with the line when her eyes landed on a group of people across the room. She felt her stomach drop, and she swallowed the lump in her throat and turned back to where the man behind the table was waiting for her drink order. She grabbed a Ginger Ale and hurried back to her seat. 

Her mind spun as she sat down. The scene replayed in her mind, and she was hit with disappointment.

Tyler. Standing among a group of girls. Which wouldn't have been so bad if there hadn't been one attached to his arm and if he hadn't looked so happy.

He had said he liked her. Why had she even played it up and made it into such a big deal? What had she expected? He didn't belong to Allie. Did what he say that night even really mean anything?

Allie wanted to hit herself for overthinking. She had been stupid; she had thought that now that he had confessed how he felt, that they would be together and there would be no more games.

Allie felt overwhelmed. She felt just plain stupid. She excused herself once more, and headed for the front doors. 

She had almost reached her destination when she felt a hand on her wrist, stopping her. She turned abruptly, and came face to face with the reason she wanted to leave in the first place. She had been so close to her escape...

"Hey." Tyler's smile was wide and he let go of her wrist. "Haven't seen you all night." He paused, and Allie nodded, crossing her arms. His smile faded, but only a bit. "You look pretty."

Allie inhaled sharply. "Just go away," was all she could manage. She had wanted to play it cool... So much for that.

As she turned and continued on her way, Tyler's hand gripped her wrist again, pulling her back. She stared up at him frustratedly, and he looked around them before his hand grabbed Allie's and he tugged on it gently. He pulled the two of them around the corner by the bathrooms, and he stood in front of her, blocking her exit. She leaned against the wall, her hair falling down her back against the wall. She sighed, crossing her arms and looking down.

"What did I do?"

Allie bit her lip and tucked a piece of hair behind her ears. Tyler's hand rose to her chin, and he gently tilted it up so he could look in her eyes. Despite her frustration, Allie felt her anger melt a bit as his brown eyes searched hers. His touch was soft, and his fingers lingered on her face for a moment before he dropped his hand. Allie sighed frustratedly.

"You're just.. Ugh." Allie closed her eyes. "You mess with my head."

Tyler was silent for a moment. "How?"

Allie's eyes opened, and she stared at him, as if he should have known.

"You said you liked me, Tyler." She laughed bitterly and he looked like he was about to speak when she cut him off, pushing herself off the wall. "It's all flattery and lines with you. I don't know why I believed it for a second. I bet your plan with those girls in there was to make them fall for you too with a few winks and smooth talk... But with me, it took a bit of work, so you had to play the 'I really like you, I'm trying to change' card." She shook her head with a laugh. "I actually thought you liked me." Without another word she brushed past him and into the packed hall, where she would avoid unwanted hockey players for the rest of the evening.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is absolutely horrendous and for that, I am so sorry.

Writing is a chore for me lately.

Hope you all are well.