Status: Coming Soon!

Hidden

nine

Allie!" She heard her uncle call for what seemed like the fiftieth time. She had hoped he would stop, but she should have known better. It was her uncle, after all. He was known to be pretty stubborn. She heard him coming down the hall and held her breath. She let it out in a sigh as she heard a knock. "Allie?"

"Yes?" The door opened.

"Tyler just called again."

Allie didn't lift her eyes from her laptop as she tried to reply nonchalantly. "Okay."

"I told him you were still busy."

Allie nodded, pretending to type away on her laptop. "Thanks."

Pause. Allie hoped her uncle would go away, but again, no such luck. "Are you going to be un-busy anytime soon?"

Allie sighed and sat up, giving her uncle a look. "I'm doing work, Uncle P."

Her uncle narrowed his eyes at her. She stared him down, refusing to break under his gaze. He finally sighed and held up his hands as he backed out of her room. He shut the door without another word, and Allie breathed a sigh of relief.

***

After supper that night, Allie took her schoolwork out onto the back patio. It was a beautiful night in Boston; it was a bit chilly, but there was no wind. Allie cuddled into her huge sweater and began to actually work. She had tried working earlier, but when her mind had begun to wander, she had distracted herself with online clothes shopping.

She was halfway through her second paragraph when she heard the screen door slide open. She lifted her head after finishing her sentence, and her eyes widened when she saw a young man follow her uncle through the door.

"He insisted," her uncle said with a shrug. She could tell he was lying by the look on his face as he spoke, and she knew that he had probably ushered Tyler in without any resistance. She sighed and looked away.

She heard the screen door close and knew her uncle had retreated. She could see Tyler out of the corner of her eye, standing with his hands in his pockets. After another moment of awkward silence, he sat down in the chair beside her.

Allie began to absentmindedly scribble on her notebook as she waited for Tyler to speak. She was extremely conscious of every movement he made; touching his face, bouncing his knee up and down. If she hadn't known better, she would have guessed he was nervous.

"I'm sorry."

Allie was surprised when he finally spoke. She glanced over to find him looking at her. She looked back down at her page and sighed. "Wow..." She paused. "Haven't heard that one before."

Tyler ran a hand over his face: "Really," he said. "I meant it." Allie looked at him again with raised eyebrows. Tyler searched her eyes and leaned back in his chair. "I meant what I said. I like you... A lot."

Allie shook her head. She didn't say anything. Her mouth was set in a firm line. 

"Please believe me."

Allie sighed frustratedly, lifting her hands up in the air before letting them fall back on her book with a thud. "Why should I? I'm sick of your games, Tyler!" She sighed, shaking her head. "Just because you like me doesn't mean you want to <i>be</i> with me... I get that. But I don't know what you're looking for from me." She shrugged her shoulders as he looked at her in silence.

She was taken aback when Tyler stood up, taking the few steps towards her. He stood in front of her and offered her his hand. She sighed and began to shake her head.

"Please."

His tone was sincere. Allie sighed again before putting her books on the table. She took Tyler's outstretched hand, and he gently pulled her up. His thumb traced circles on the back of her hand, and she tried to ignore the shivers that shot up and down her spine. She slowly removed her hand from his, but remained where she was.

"Allie..." Tyler sighed. He lifted a hand up to run through his hair, and Allie crossed her arms. "That's the thing. I do want to be with you." Allie looked at him, biting her lip. He watched her for a moment before looking away and adding, "I just don't know how."

"How to..."

"Be with someone."

Allie searched his eyes incredulously. He was serious? She didn't know what to say. Tyler shrugged, looking down at the ground before meeting her eyes again.

In a split second he blurted, "Would you go out with me? On... On a date? For real?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this is short. I know. The next one will be longer, and faster to come out. I promise. This was important, though.