365 Days

The Day Before Day One

I awoke like any other morning, why wouldn't I have?

The sun's bright light shone through the window, illuminating every square inch of my bedroom and burning my eyes as I slowly fluttered them open. I groaned and rubbed my eyes while I sat up in the bed and stretched myself awake.

Today was my doctor's appointment and I needed to be there at 8:45. I quickly glanced at the clock on my wall, which read '8:00.'

"Shit," I muttered as I jumped up and ran to the bathroom to get ready.

30 minutes later, I jumped into my car and turned on the ignition quickly. The doctor's office was a good 25 minute drive, on a good day with no traffic. So, I sped nearly the entire way there, making it there in 20.

The parking lot was empty, which wasn't too surprising. I hopped out of the car and power-walked to the office. The receptionist greeted me just like the previous two visits, with a smile and a 'good morning.'

"Good morning. Sorry I'm a little late," I said, and she assured me it was fine. She handed me the patient log in sheet and I signed my name.

"Thank you. Please have a seat, Chelsea. The doctor will be available shortly," she said with the same warm smile. I flashed her one as well and took a seat in the empty waiting room. It always made me more nervous when no one was here.

I sighed loudly as I took a seat and grabbed a magazine.

'Huh, what's going on with Charlie Sheen?' I wondered as I read the cover and quickly opened the entertainment magazine with excitement.

"Chelsea?" a nurse exclaimed as she opened the door in front of me. I looked up and set down the magazine, a little bummed I wasn't going to find out what was happening in Hollywood.

I followed her into the narrow hallway and into one of the rooms. I sat on the 'bed' and answered all the routine questions. I just wanted to find out the results.

I awaited a few more minutes after the nurse left. Time was not on my side today. The second I laid back to get comfortable, the doctor entered the room.

"Hello, Chels, how are you today?" Dr. Rosenberg said and I answered it like always, 'fine.' She gave a half smile as she sat down in her chair and opened the manila envelope in her hands. Maybe she saw the tiredness on my face, or the anticipation in my eyes. Either way, she knew exactly what I needed to know, and how fast.

The smile soon faded and soon appeared a frown. She looked back up at me, sadness written all over her face. I already knew the answer before she said it.

"I'm so sorry, Chelsea. The results are positive. Stage 4 breast cancer. I am so sorry," she repeated and I took a deep breath.

"It's okay, Dr. We both knew this was to happen. It's alright. I hope you have a nice day," I stated quickly and got up from my chair and quickly exited the room, walked through the hallway, out the door, and out the front door, not bothering to say bye to the receptionist or sorry to the girl I ran into. I nearly ran to my car, turned it on and didn't even bother to put on my seat belt, either.

I cranked the music up and drove. Drove to no destination. Just drove.
♠ ♠ ♠
--new one. comments are the ONLY thing that get updates.