Sandcastles

eighteen

I wasn’t sure how long I’d fallen asleep for, but by the time I woke up, the sun had started to rise. I had been moved from my sitting position on Jonny’s lap to laying with him on the couch, curled into his body. It had always been a habit of mine to curl myself into guys when I fell asleep with them. This was no different. His frame seemed to fit mine perfectly. I was warm and comfortable, even though there was barely enough room on the couch for the both of us. I wasn’t sure what had awoken me, though I assumed it was the sun streaming through the curtains, until I heard another light tap at the door.

Jonny had yet to stir, though the noise wasn’t loud at all. Part of me wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and fall right back asleep. I wasn’t above spending my entire day sleeping on the couch with Jonny while enjoying a movie or seven. But, I knew that just staying in bed as someone came knocking at the door wasn’t something I could do. Slowly and softly, I slipped myself from Jonny’s hold and tip-toed to the door. Peering through the peep hole, I spotted a head full of blonde hair. She was turned around, looking at something else when I pulled the door open.

“Jonny, I didn’t think you’d even be up…”

Her words were cut short as her eyes fell upon me. Narrowing my gaze, I turned around to see Jonny stirring lightly on the couch before I pulled the door up. I knew I couldn’t close it fully, since I would have no way of getting back in, but I didn’t want him to disrupt him with whatever might ensue in the hallway.

“He’s not up,” I said bluntly, stepping a bit into the hallway. “And I’d like to keep it that way, if you don’t mind.”

“What are you doing here?” Amber hissed, her eyes shooting daggers right through me.

I felt my eyes roll without me giving them the command. “I could as you the same thing.”

“I’m here to spend the day with my boyfriend.”

“You mean ex-boyfriend?”

Amber’s eyes seemed to glow red as those words fell from my lips. I’ve never in my life been one to argue with people. I’d always been the type to lie down and be walked all over. I blamed it on my job mostly. If I didn’t sit down and do whatever I could for my clients, then I wouldn’t have a job. I had to make them happy. It didn’t matter one bit how happy I was. But this time, it did. My job wasn’t to make Amber happy by walking away from Jonny and allowing her full rein. I had something worth fighting for.

“Don’t even. You know that once your little beach vacation is over, you’ll never hear from him again. And, let’s be honest, you’re not exactly hockey girlfriend material. Just look at you.” A little laugh came from her lips and I felt myself swallow hard. “You have to make him look good, and I don’t think you’re capable of that. Hell, I know you’re not.”

“If you’re so sure about all of this, then why are you here? In five more days my little vacation will be over and, if you’re right, he’d be all yours again.”

“Because,” she began, moving her hair over her shoulder, “I don’t feel like waiting.”

“Get used to it.” I barked before slipping back into the room and closing the door behind me. For some reason, I was fighting back tears. Part of me figured it was because she was right. When I left this place, there was nothing keeping them from getting back together. Shaking my head, I forced the thoughts from my head just in time to feel two hands rest on my shoulders. Jonny was up, and had apparently heard the whole thing.

He didn’t say anything at first, just looked down at me with a reassuring smile on his face. Quickly, he kissed my forehead and pulled me close for a hug. In a way, I didn’t need to hear any words. This was enough for me to know that he was mine. Just mine.

-x-

“I’ll kick her fake, blonde ass, Bailey!”

Sara was irate. She was furious when I told her about my little encounter with Amber over lunch. Sadly, that was one of the nicer threats that had poured from my best friend’s lips as we sat at a restaurant downtown. The girls had all freaked out slightly at the words, but Sara seemed to take the news the worst. Maybe it was because she was pregnant and the hormones were taking over, though she had never really been the most reasonable of people to begin with, or the fact that this whole situation was just jacked up.

"I'm not normally one for violence, but I'd be more than willing to help," Erin spoke up, running a finger over the rim of her glass. "This isn't right. She's not supposed to ruin our vacation."

"Erin's right," Christine agreed, "This is complete shit, and we all know it."

I couldn't say anything. I hadn't been able to say anything since I told them what had happened. It's not like I wanted to talk about it, but it wasn't something my friends could let go. "I dunno," I finally muttered with a sigh.

Those seemed to be the magic words and the conversation changed to the wedding that was still being held in just a few days. I tuned out my friends as they began chirping about how exciting it was all going to be. Sara hadn't filled Erin or Christine in about the little Kaner she was carrying in her stomach, and I couldn't blame her. It wasn't something to share just yet.

Slowly, my eyes began tracing the streets. We were sitting outside on the patio, so it was easy to look around and people watch. My eyes caught sight of people with smiles, people in tears, children and the elderly. My attention finally snapped back to my friends when one of them was snapping their fingers in my face.

"Are you ready to go?"

"I guess."

And with that, we were off.

-x-

Our afternoon was spent by the pool. I was working hard on getting the tan I so desperately needed if I was going to pull off my bride's maid dress in a few days, while the girls either did the same, or swam. The boys had been missing in action all day, though most of them reappeared when dinner time rolled around.

I hadn't even noticed the arrival of both the Patricks and Corey until I noticed that my girls had stopped talking to one another, and to me. Lifting my sunglasses, I rose an eyebrow at them before sitting up and stretching some. "Where's Jonny?" I asked no one in particular.

It was Corey who turned his head and shrugged at me. "Honestly, we thought he was with you until we got down here."

Raising an eyebrow, I sighed a bit before pulling my legs up to my chest. "I haven't seen him since this morning." I muttered, trying my best to not jump to conclusions.

"He might still be in the room," Kaner added, shrugging slightly. "I haven't been back in a while. He skipped out on lunch."

"I'll go look." Standing up, I wrapped my towel around myself and waved before heading towards the suite. I walked slowly, hoping more than anything that I could run into him on my way to his room. I felt my heart in my throat as I reached his front door. When I reached up to knock, the door flew open before my hand ever touched it. I was partially expecting Jonny to run straight into me. Instead, the door swung open to reveal a dark room, an empty bottle of tequila, and two distinct laughs coming from the bathroom.