Sandcastles

seven

The days passed faster than I could have ever hoped. Before long, our first week in the Bahamas was almost over, and I was left wishing we had more time. Sure, there was still another week to our vacation, and the Blackhawks were going to be enjoying the sunshine for another week after we left, but that didn’t seem like enough. Everyone was enjoying themselves, and the pairs that had formed between all eight of us seemed untouchable.

Erin and Corey had become quick friends, and would often run off to explore some part of the Bahamas that none of the rest of us had any interest in. They were adventure junkies, from what I could tell, and would do anything that might give them a thrill. Parasailing, scuba diving, they had done more of those activities in the past week that I had in my lifetime. But, it was a cute thing to see. Bonding over their love of adventure was good. And it was nice to see Erin so happy. A smile seemed to be permanently glued to her face, and from what I’d heard, Corey was the same way. From what Erin had been telling us that day at lunch, they were already planning another adventure for the summer to some far off land that I couldn’t even pronounce.

“That’s great, Erin!” Christine said, clapping slightly before she took a sip of her drink. We had all agreed on a girls’ lunch, my mind was so far gone that I had spent most of the meal staring at the ocean.

“What’s been going on between you and Sharpie?” Erin asked, taking a bite of her salad.

I turn my attention back to Christine who told us about the charmer Sharpie could be. Just from looking at him I was pretty sure I could have begged him as such, but he was thinking of new and creative ways to woo Christine every chance he got. Sunset walks on the beach, candle lit dinners pool side, even a little spa date for the two of them (which I couldn’t help but laugh at, getting me strange looks from the other three girls at the table).

“And I’m guessing your time with Toews has just been wonderful, hasn’t it Bailey?” Sara’s words were backed by a hint of laughter. She already knew about the days I had been spending with Jonny, thanks to Kaner. Those two boys told one another everything. When they talked about the bromance between the two young guns of the Blackhawks, they meant it.

“It has. Thanks for asking.” Grinning, I picked up a french fire and bit into it with force, grinning at Sara as I did so. But my eyes quickly looked back to the sparkling blue ocean. I couldn’t seem to focus on anything for two long, but one of my friends snapped their fingers and I was quickly brought back to Earth.

“You’ve been completely out of it for days. What’s going on, Bails?” Christine asked, concern radiating in her features.

Shaking my head, I sighed. I had always been the worrier in our little group. All of the others focused on the fun side of things while I sat around thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong. Lately, that side of me had disappeared, probably with the help of Jonny, but without him by my side, it had reared its ugly head once again. “Have you guys stopped to think what’s going to happen once we leave here?”

“What do you mean?” Erin questioned, looking at me now as if she were trying to figure out where I was coming from.

“I mean, the past week as been wonderful, and I’m sure the next will be even better, but…” I wanted to stop, swallow my words and pretend like I had never brought it up. I didn’t want to damper the mood, especially on our girl’s day, but I couldn’t seem to help it. “what if when we all get back to Chicago, it’s like this never happened.”

I felt something hit the side of my face and I looked up to see Sara picking up another piece of lettuce to throw at my face. “Really, Sara?”

“Don’t talk like that,” She said, eating the piece of lettuce she picked up instead of throwing it at me. “Erin already has another trip planned with Corey, Christine and Sharpie are like soul mates with their lovey dovey attitudes, you’re in absolute heaven with Captain Serious, and Kaner and I…”

“Make out every chance you get?” Erin blurted out, grinning down at her plate, trying not to burst out into laughter.

At this, we all seemed to leave the worries that I had behind. Sara was right. The guys had made various promises to us that things would continue to be perfect once we all returned home, and they had always proved to be men of their word.

-x-

“So I heard you were worried about when we all go home.” Jonny couldn’t wipe the smile from his face as he said this, making me feel even worse about my comments at lunch. It was much later at night now, and like usual, we had all gone our separate ways with all the boys that have stolen our hearts.

“I’m a worrier…it’s what I do.”

We were lying in a hammock that over looked the beach. The sun had set long ago, but we had yet to move from that spot. Erin, Sara, PKane, and Corey had all decided to go out to the club, while Christine and Sharpie had gone to do something else uber romantic, leaving me and Jonny on our own for the night. I was perfectly okay with this, and he seemed to be too. My head rested on his shoulder, and I drew little circle don his tanned chest with my finger.

“I don’t plan on just abandoning you when I get to Chicago, Bailey,” his words were kind, much like they always were. “And…I also have a question for you.”

Lifting my head a little bit, I rested my chin on his shoulder so I could see his face. Jonny still had a hint of a smile on his lips, but I could tell that he was trying this best to hide it from me. “Yes?” I questioned, a grin forming on my lips. Whatever he had to ask, it had to of been serious or otherwise he wouldn’t have allowed for the pause.

“After our vacation here, I’m only spending one night in Chicago before heading to Winnipeg to spend some time with my family,” Jonny began. I felt his hand slip around my waist and tighten here, as if to make sure I didn’t flee. “I was wondering if you’d like to go with me…”

“To…Winnipeg?” I asked, lifting my head off of his chest to look at him closer. He was being serious… He nodded at me and I could feel the smile take over my face. Things weren’t going to end when we got back to Chicago, and this had just given me all the reassurance that I needed.

I began to nod along with him before giggling slightly. His lips met mine, kissing for what didn’t feel like long enough, until he broke away. We returned to the position we had been laying in, and before long, I was fast asleep, the smile still showing on my face.