Status: Completed.

Her Sad Mechanic Exercise

03/03

The whole time she had been roaming the abandoned home, life outside was slowly beginning to wake. The cool air brushed at her face like ghostly hands trying to comfort Camille as she closed the door behind her. The grass had a heavy coat of snow to embrace it as the chilly morning progressed, the snow had stopped fluttering from the sky though. Morning doves cooed from the electrical lines that were strewn about the town.

The snow wasn't fluffy and frozen all the way through, Camille's cloth shoes quickly absorbed the wet mixture of rain and snow as she made her way back to the street. Her eyes strayed from her destination back to the past.

The gray sky hung low with the promise of more bad weather, but through the clouds came a rising sun bringing on a new, dull day.

The house stood all alone.

Just as she was.

No sane human was out walking the streets except Camille, all the rest were tucked under warm covers. She had no desire for warmth though. The freezing temperatures of a fast approaching winter were perfect for her.

The suns' light touched the tips of the trees, the top of that lonely house of memories. It was bringing a new day, one Camille didn't know if she should welcome or reject.

The bottle of her sweet, weak, narcotic was empty and the pain of loss was setting in again as the new day just began.

But words so true rang through her head as her eyes left the dark house to look forward to the road set before her.

"Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yea, it said rain.
I pictured sloppy, half-rain, half-snow kind of weather when she exited the house.

Ending quote was again, Alfred Tennyson.
From the same exact piece of work that had inspired this whole short story.

Please share your opinions?(: