The Princess And The Stones

Chapter 5

Simon was a morning person, there was no denying that. He loved being up and ready to start his chores as the beautiful sun rose and painted the sky with vibrant colours, and walking barefoot through the fresh, dewy grass and exploring the woods that surrounded Asiati before hunters began to lurk through them. The best thing about mornings though, was the fact Maria hated them.

  "Good morning Maria!“Simon said cheerfully, and began to shake his sister awake.

  "Go away..." She moaned, her voice filled with frustration, "leave me alone."

  Simon's smile brightened. "Oh but Maria, nobody should be left alone on their birthday!"

  Maria took the pillow and shoved it over her head. "Yes they should. At least until the sun rises."

  "The sun began to rise half an hour, now come on!" Simon cried as he began to tug on the pillow and blankets. Despite using all his strength, he couldn't pry them from his sisters tight grip. She was determined not to move.

“Simon!” she cried, “just let me sleep.”

Illiana sat up and yawned. “Do you two have to much such as racket?”

Simon nodded. “Morning Illi. Time to get up.”

She nodded and attempted to crawl over Maria. “Why do I have to share a bed anyway?”

"You don't," Maria moaned as she fought to keep the pillow over her head, "you have your own bed, in your own room, in you own house."

Illiana shook her head rapidly. "Nuh-uh! It's scary in my house ever since my parents went to the battle grounds. I'm not sleeping there by myself."

"Whatever, whatever, just go away..." 

"Mum says I'm not allowed out of the attic until your downstairs." Simon explained as he finally ripped the blankets away from Maria. She curled into a ball and struggled to keep warm and comfortable. 

   "Why would she make you stay?" Illiana asked. She stretched out her arms and back out one last time before standing on the bed.

"She needs to fix Maria's dress for tonight."

   Illiana nodded, finally understanding, and began jumping on the bed. "Wake up Maria! Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

   With an evil glare in her eyes, Maria reluctantly rose from her bed, and like she was living death, drug her way to the attic ladder.  "I hate mornings..." she grumbled as she climbed down, "I hate four in the morning, and I hate mornings..."

Illiana let herself fall onto the mattress and smiled brightly. "We make a pretty good team, don't we?"

   Simon nodded and tossedly his cousin's wavy blonde hair. "I'd say so."

   "You know what might have been a better way to wake her though?" Illiana asked. There was a miscivious spark in Illiana's eyes that made Simon nervous.

Against his better judgement, Simon asked, "What would that be?"

"You could tell her your in love with her."

Simon's mouth went dry. "W-w-what are you talking about?"

   Illiana stood back on the bed so she could reach the top of Simon's head, and like he'd down to her early, she ruffled the white-blonde strands of hair that covered his head. "I knew there was a reason you were so curious as to why she was so against marriage. You wanted her to be your own bride!"

"Illy! Not so loud." Simon snapped. "I don't--"

"She really isn't your sister, so there's really nothing wrong with it Si." Illiana jumped down off the bed and skipped off  to the ladder. 

Simon's hand went to his forehead. "Those girls... They are going to be the death of me."

   Downstairs in Moraca's sewing room, Maria was being forced into a tiny strapless gown. As Moraca pulled the corset strings tighter, more and more air left Maria's lungs. 

   Once the tugging stopped, Moraca turned her daughter around the face the floor length mirror. "What do you think?"

Maria's sleepy eyes widened when she saw the dress. The sparkling fushia gown was quite possibly the most beautiful thing she'd ever laid her eyes on. The strapless bodice was adored in gems and beads in swirling, traditional designs. These designs continued down onto the huge skirt, with with supported by a hoopskirt almost as wide as she was tall. "It's--"

"Stunning. Moraca, darling, our daughter is absolutely stunning." Claudius said proudly. He wrapped an arm around the young girl and kissed the top of her head. 

"Thank you dear," Moraca said with a smile, "I think she'll do the Harmoniac family proud, don't you?"

Claudius nodded. "She'll make us very proud."

The rest of the day dragged on as agonizingly slow as it had began. Despite all the movement and excitement, Maria found herself dragging along, being pulled from person to person, and place to place. 

The commotion in Maria's own little world finally calmed down as the night drew near. For the other villagers though, the excitement was only just beginning. Minutes after the sun had begun to set, several of the older adult villagers had made their to the town hall to get to the ale and drinks before the younger generation could take over. 

By the time Moraca had put the finally touch, a large pink flower, into Maria's golden hair, the darkness of night had flooded the world, and the only light came from the lanterns placed around the village.

"You're ready." Moraca said. Pride beamed from her face. "Now, let's go, can't keep everyone waiting, can we?"

Maria nodded, and with great difficulty stood up and adjusted her hoop skirt. "So, about those guards--"

"Simon and I have made arrangements for him and you to go to Jesiba with Riveri and Takielle if the guards arrive. I've already attached supplies you'll need to Soniadore's saddle." Moraca explained. 

   A bit of a paniced expression crossed Maria's face. "Have you told him yet."

   "I have not. He will learn soon enough," Moraca stopped to admire her work, "now we should be off."

   "Yes mum. Now, let's be off!" Maria said brightly. "Afterall, wasn't it you that  said a girl is only sixteen once? Let's enjoy this!" 

   And with that, Maria ran down the stairs and to the front door, and out of sight. Moraca sighed, her little girl was gone.