Status: Active

Something Good Can Work

Mixed Drinks, Mixed Feelings

“Are you sure about this?” I ask my best friend, Cassie. She rolled her eyes at my insecurities and continued to apply her eyeliner.

We were about to go out, and truth be told, I was sad I was leaving my Criminal Minds DVDs behind.

Cassie and I were two very different people... Cassie was the person whose life was always carefree and laid-back. She did things just to brag to people that she did them. She liked to laugh about the night before, not remembering a thing. Unlike me, Cassie was the typical ‘hot blonde chick’. She stood 5’9’’, had an hourglass shape, and straight, long hair with dark brown eyes.

I was more organized and perfect. I liked books and I geeked out at things like FBI drama shows like Criminal Minds. I stood about 5’1’’ (and a half!) with curly auburn hair. I had no chest, no butt, and no legs. In fact, I was convinced I had a body of a 14-year-old boy. I was little and thin with no real outstanding qualities about myself.

I was pretty quiet and I couldn't stand anything that wild, yet Cassie talked me into 'wild things' (like right now). It made me feel like tough shit when I was with Cassie. And I liked that, every once in awhile.

“Come on, Iris, you can go out! You’re 19 years old, what’s there to lose?” Cassie asked me.

“Ugh, I hate when you get all philosophical about going out. It makes me feel like I’m missing out, when really I’m just not getting hung-over or doing anything illegal for that matter.”

“Technically, beer’s not illegal, I just might not be 21 yet,” my best friend giggled at her joke, “Plus, it’s true. You’re young! You’re supposed to do stupid shit! Don’t you want to say you experienced something crazy, felt wild and indestructible?” She looked at me as I sat on her bed. I didn’t answer her and she nodded.

Cassie looked at my pajama pants that had strawberries all over them. She was thinking about what horrible clothes she’d shove me into or how she’d decorate my face with make-up – I was scared. “We need to get you into something more… sexy. You should wear something purple.”

“Why purple,” I ask, looking into the mirror from the bed. My hair was a mess. I didn’t want to go out. Oh dear god, I did NOT want to go out.

“Because your name is Iris and irises are purple, duh silly. Now… I might have the perfect thing…”

Next thing I knew, I was wearing a violet racer-back tank top, dark wash jeans, and black heels. My auburn hair was wavy, laid just right, thanks to Cassie’s curling iron. She fixed her strapless dress once more in the mirror before turning to me and nodded.

“You look wonderful!” She said, and smiled. “Now let’s do this!”

Cassie and I were going to meet a few other girls for a drink at a local club. The owners were known to be pretty lenient with minors. Whether this was a good thing or a bad thing, I guess I’m not one to judge, but it seemed to work in Cassie’s advantage.

“Sarah, Peyton, Michelle, you remember my friend Iris, right?” Upon seeing her three other friends, Cassie pushed me in their direction. They were polite and nice enough, but even a blind man could see that we just didn’t click. They didn’t understand my love for a good book, and I didn’t understand their love for a cold beer.

Ah, well… maybe opposites do attract?

Sarah, a redhead with beautiful long, cooper hair, immediately stood. “Yes, of course! It’s like you never stop talking about how we should all get together! Now we finally are,” She gushed, her sincere smile putting a smile of my own onto my face.

I said hello to the other girls, as well as more people were with their party. Peyton ran to the bar to get us some drinks when Cassie leaned into me sharply.

“See?” She whispered, almost hissed even. “Not so bad, eh?”

I look around at the crowded club around and reconsidered. “Maybe not…”

Cassie let out a laugh, “Now try some of this…”

I look the brown liquid and took a sip. It tasted like soda pop but had a rough aftertaste, that of alcohol, of course. I shut my eyes momentarily to let myself get used to it. “What is that?” I choke out, the aftertaste leaving my mouth dry.

“Oh, just some rum and coke. Just forget about the rum and it’s like you’re drinking soda!”

I turn away and make a sour face. I really hate alcohol. By the time I’ve turned back around Cassie is double-fisting it. I roll my eyes when she playfully tugs on my shoulder to dance. I delicately follow her onto the dance floor when the DJ plays a remix of The Black Kids’ “I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You”.

I really do love this song and the beat is making it so easy to slowly let go. I find it weirdly easy to start moving my hips, but I have to watch Cassie for a little bit to really get it. I’m just not used to it.

I look down at my feet that are swaying almost on their own accord. It doesn’t even feel like I’m the pilot anymore, just the music. I look up when I remember that I probably look like a 12 year old dancing seductively. I’ll just pretend I’m like some exotic girl with an hourglass frame. Cassie throws her head back and laughs.

An hour later and she’s so intoxicated it’s hard for her to walk. She’s a stumbling, slurry, hot mess in heels. I, being the good friend, try to get her off the dance floor but she isn’t having it.

“No!” She tries to shout over the music, “That boy over there is giving me bedroom eyes, Iris.”

I vaguely define bedroom eyes in my own head when she tries to stumble over to the boy.

“Cassie! I can’t just leave you!”

She scoffs, “Oh, please! I’ll be fine I promise. I’m just going to chat him up. I promise I’ll get home safe. Maybe I’ll talk him into walking me home.”

I persist, “But you’re in no shape to walk home. What if he tries to take advantage of you?”

“Stop it, Mother Dearest. I honestly promise. I have mace in my purse. That boy won’t try shit. Nothing will happen. Plus I know how much you want to watch reruns of Gilmore Girls that start at 2 AM anyway.”

I blush; I actually was looking forward to the reruns… “See?” She says, noticing my hesitation. “Go. I’ll be fine.”

Obviously I should have persisted more, but Cass honestly seemed fine. I didn’t want to be annoying. She seemed as though she could hold her own, plus she had mace in her purse, and her cell phone. She could easily call for help. We only live like, three blocks away from each other.

I slap her butt in encouragement as she flounces toward the boy and I walk off the dance floor. I walk past Peyton, Michelle, and Sarah, waving farewells to them and leave the club.

I begin to walk away, glancing at the club before rounding the corner, trying not to admit to myself that I had fun.

***

The next day was a Monday. And, if you’re anything like me, Mondays never go right. When I woke up I hit my head on the headboard of my bed, stubbed my toe on the bathroom door, and finally burnt my ear with my flat-iron. As usual, I slept right through my alarm and was now bounding out the door. Being a poor college student, I had to walk everywhere – putting me at a bigger disadvantage.

On Mondays before class, I picked up Cassie from her apartment. Last night was a little blurry to me, but I remembered that Cassie promised me she would return safety home.

I kept my pace pretty quick until I reached her doorstep. I was standing there (toe still throbbing), when I heard screams. I gasped, and barged in, scared. I slowly shut the door quietly behind me. My first thought was, I need a weapon! The kitchen was the first room off the entrance so I quickly grabbed a knife off the kitchen counter.

I tiptoed down the hall, where at the end stood Cassie’s bedroom.

“Oh, no!” Came another scream from Cassie. My heart was racing and I ran as fast as my toe could allow me. I reached her bedroom door, my breathing getting deeper.

"CASSIE! ARE YOU ALRIGHT-"

My face grew red with embarrassment as the door flew open and I got a view of what was inside.

Cassie was lying down, naked on her bed with an equally naked man hovering above her.

“Oh my gosh,” I say before dropping the knife onto the hardwood floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi guys! Mike story for ya, as if writing about one Pierce the Veil member isn't enough ;)

(Which you can read if you haven't already here. )

Comment / Subscribe!

Title: A Party Song (The Walk of Shame) - All Time Low