Status: Active

Something Good Can Work

I'm Not Losing Sleep Over You

I tap my toes lightly while Cassie intently watches the new episode of Teen Wolf. A fight breaks out on screen but Cassie soon pauses it. She raises a perfectly waxed eyebrow in my direction.

"You've been fidgety all day – what's up?" Cassie's staring is like she can see right through me. God, how could I have been so stupid to basically go on a date with her boyfriend?

I blush, "Oh? That?" I tap my foot to demonstrate, Cassie nods in response. "Oh, that's nothing. Just… sugar r-rush," I stutter. I'd never been good at lying.

"Can you respect my place as your best friend and not lie to me?" Cassie smiles, although it's tight and closed. It simply doesn’t reach her eyes.

I gulp – I swear the room is quiet enough we both hear it. "I think… I think Mike might be cheating on you… or in the process of cheating on you."

Cassie just narrows her eyes, "What do you mean?"

"I overheard Mike on the phone making plans to go on a date with this… girl. I think her name was Janelle." I babble, unsure how she'll take all this.

Cassie just takes it in. Her facial expression is pretty neutral. "When? Where? What exactly did he say?"

"It was definitely Mike… at… the grocery store," I choke, the lies coming surprisingly easier than usual. I guess it's because my neck was definitely on the line, almost as much as Mike's. Whatever my involvement, it concerned Cassie and I was merely looking out for her. Plus… I did want Mike dumped. He was infuriating. "It was… last night."

"Didn't you just stay in watching Glee?" Crap, that's right. I'm supposed to be a lazy homebody.

I gulp yet again, more lies spewing, "Yeah but I got sick of it, I guess. I just wanted a change of scenery. I heard Whole Foods was having free samples of cookies. I went there and apparently Mike was into it too. He didn't see me; his back was to me, on his phone. He was wearing a snapback and a Set Your Goals hoodie. He said into the phone, 'I can pick you up at seven-thirty, Janelle.' I didn't even know what to do."

"Damn," Cassie cursed. "Well, what an idiot."

Of all the names that Cassie could call Mike, of all the names he qualifies for, she chose idiot.

"Yeah," I agree. I remember how I felt when Mike was making plans for that date. I guess idiot is pretty accurate.

"Listen," Cassie starts, "Mike is just… a player. It's all he'll ever be. I couldn't ever see him settling down. As disappointing as this is, I guess I should have seen it coming. And I should have warned you. You didn't deserve to be tied all up into it, you know? Thanks for telling me, though. I can deal with it."

"What are you going to do?"

She sighs, "Well, I don't really know. Probably not that much."

"What? Why not!" I literally yell.

Cassie laughs at my naïve little mind. "Iris, chill. I already told you, he's always been a player. He's just – a free spirit, you know? It's why we got along so well. But no girl could rein his ways in; you can't expect to change anybody. I can't do much. He probably won't score anymore with me."

"…But he'll have other outlets," I supply, catching on to her rant. Cassie nods.

"Exactly. Mike doesn't really get hurt in these situations. Why would I put myself through some sort of fit when I should just move on by getting under someone else?"

"This is disgusting," I spit out. Truly, it is. "Call me old-fashioned but this is bullshit. Mike will keep doing this to other girls. It's not fair he makes a mark and leaves without any himself."

Cassie reaches over and pats my knee. "Life isn't fair, girl. Besides, why does this bother you so much?"

I stop what I'm doing, feeling the pressure of Cassie's hand on my leg. I begin to wonder… why does this bother me so much?

Did Mike leave a mark on me, even so soon?
♠ ♠ ♠
I recently had an encounter with a Don Juan, which triggered inspiration! Needless to say, that sleazy boy will not be going to the movies with me anytime soon.

ANYWAY. I finally updated. Thanks for being so patient and lovely during this time. I'm a senior this year and getting into college is kind of stressful, who knew? Now that I'm accepted though, I plan on getting this stuff done, especially before I move and everything!

Thanks for the kind words -- I read them and it truly moves me. I feel so lucky for readers like you! Hope your holidays were wonderful, and that you have a happy New Years!!!

More soon, xoxo!

Chapter title: Reckless by You Me At Six