Status: Active

Something Good Can Work

Hello Fascination

“I am just SO excited for you to meet him!” Cassie rattles on. This is like the fifth time she’s said that.

We were currently getting ready for Cassie’s boyfriend’s party. I was wearing a sundress that was doubling as a going-out dress, while Cassie had a v-neck and high-waist skirt on.

“I know,” I mumble as I apply the last layer of mascara. “You’ve only said so like, a million times.

Cassie’s brow furrows, “I know. It’s just, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so smitten with a guy before.”

“You have,” I argue, “It just hasn’t lasted this long.” Cassie playfully slaps my arm.

“Whatever, are you ready to go? I’m really excited for you to meet him!!”

I roll my eyes and allow myself to be dragged out of Cassie’s apartment. Here goes nothing.

- - -

Cassie’s main man lived a little outside of San Diego. It was a medium-sized apartment. While approaching the house, Cassie filled me in – He lived with his brother, Vic. They were both in a band, with her boyfriend on drums and Vic sang. Apparently, they had a pretty strong following with two CDs under their belt.

Anyway, the party was huge. From what I could tell, the brothers knew a LOT of people. And they sure did like their beer…

I shuddered. Shit. I wasn’t a drinker, but you already knew that. Even worse, Cassie knew that and still dragged me here!

There were some kids passed down in the yard, a couple puking in the bushes, and several laughing drunkenly. In a sense, it was trashy.

I told Cassie it was trashy but she waved me off. “Iris, get off your high horse. I didn’t invite you to party, I invited you to meet my boyfriend,” She snapped, suddenly I felt ashamed. I apologized and entered into the house.

Finally, we were inside the living room. All the furniture was moved out of the room, creating a makeshift dance floor with various amps playing loud music. Girls and boys with beers slithered together, grinding.

Don’t judge the partiers. Don’t judge them. They’re just having fun. But they’re so sleazy! No, Iris, just because they’re here doesn’t make them sleazy. Don’t judge, you hypocrite. You’re here too, aren’t you?

I inhale heavily and let it out.

“Okay,” Cassie said, settling down on a couch. “You stay here, I’m going go find my man and get us some drinks. You okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll just chill,” I assure her. She nods and heads off to what I’m assuming is the kitchen.

I’m sitting there for five straight minutes, my head in my hand. I’m waiting for Cassie to come back, to meet her boyfriend, to leave. In that order.

Suddenly someone bumps my leg from trying to walk past.

“Oops,” I say instinctively. “I’m sorry!” Whenever I’m bumped in public or anything, no matter whose fault it is, I always apologize. It’s just knee-jerk.

“It’s okay,” Says the voice. I look up to see… “Craig?”

Craig freezes, looking somewhat like a deer caught in the headlights. “Iris? What are you doing here?”

“I’m actually here with my best friend, Cassie.” I say and he relaxes a bit, leaning against the couch.

“Oh? Yeah?”

I feel awkward, “Um, yeah. What are you doing here?”

“Iris!” Cassie shrieks, “You’re meeting him without me introducing him… STOP RIGHT THERE!” We stare at each other as Cassie pushes her way toward us. “Iris,” She says, breathless, “This is my boyfriend, Mike Fuentes.”

Time freezes, what? What is going on here? “Don’t you mean Craig?” I ask. My voice sounds confused, helpless, and dumb, even to me.

Cassie looks at me like I have three heads. “No? Iris, this is Mike – the boy I’ve been seeing!”

I look to Craig… or Mike… for help. I’m waiting for him to jump in and correct Cassie, to tell her that his name is actually Craig. But he doesn’t. Instead, he looks relaxed as he extends his hand.

This asshole has the gall to shake my hand now? Maybe this is all in my head! We shake hands, him looking smug and me, looking like I’m in a daze. Cassie looks pleased.

“Hi,” I squeak. Craig, err – Mike nods in response.

“Wow,” Cassie says to me. “You must really be stuck on that Craig guy, if you think you’re seeing him everywhere!” She laughs and looks at Mike, as though telling him through looks to laugh as well. He does, and it’s the same chuckle I heard in the library.

I think I’m going crazy. “Yeah, maybe I am.” My glance lingers on Mike/Craig and he winks. I shake my head a bit, thinking I was seeing stuff.

Cassie doesn’t notice though, “Okay, well, I’m going to go chat up Sarah, so I’ll leave you two alone!” It’s obvious she’s doing that because she wants me to inspect Mike/Craig – and to give my honest opinion later. But… this is surreal. Maybe this is some strange coincidence or something.

We stand there, staring at each other for a while.

I feel rage begin to blind me, “What… the… heck?”
♠ ♠ ♠
hehe! sorry the chapter is short, i just wanted to get something out and i thought a cliffhanger would be fun. update soon, promise! i'd hate to leave ya hangin' for too long!

comment :)))) ?

Title Credit: Hello Fascination - Breathe Carolina