Status: Active

Something Good Can Work

Ten Cent Blues

"Where are you going?" I ask Cassie. She's getting all gussied up for some reason. But I specifically remember her saying her and Mike were in a fight. So she couldn't be going out with him... right?

She flicks her eyes briefly on mine then away again in... shame? Embarrassment? "What?" Cassie throws the word at me, even though we both knew she heard the question I asked her.

"I said, where are you going?" I reiterate louder. She tries not to smile. "Seriously! Where?"

"... On a date," Cassie finally confesses, sounding very happy.

I smile, but then it falters. "But I thought you and Mike were in a fight..."

"Well, I mean we still are..."

"Then why are you going out with him? You won't even have fun," I say and she nods.

"I know. That's why my date isn't exactly with him."

My eyeballs pop out of my skull. "What? What do you mean you're not going on a date with him?! You guys are dating!"

Cassie scoffs, "We're not officially dating... and I'm mad at him. Some cute guy at Starbucks asked me out and I accepted. Big deal. It's one night, and nothing will even happen."

"It's like... cheating," I say, stunned. "This is over the line, Cassie. Who cares if you're fighting, this isn't worth more fighting."

She narrows her eyes, "Who says he's going to find out? I'm not telling and you're definitely not going to! Do you hear me!"

"Cassie..."

"Whatever, Iris," she waves me off, "Stop the lecturing, I can do what I want."

I can do what I want. What a typical Cassandra-esque thing to say, and it's true. She does what she wants. Even without hesitating, even with warning from friends... I can't help but wonder, when will she heed the warnings?

"Okay," I relent in a huffy-voice, feeling kind of offended. I thought I was pretty snazzy at giving advice, but she never takes it.

"Alright," Cassie says after an awkward silence, zipping her black leather jacket. "I'm out. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay," I say too, just as awkwardly. "I'll see you tomorrow, have fun."

I thought I see Cassie mildly roll her eyes, "I will. Bye."

Whatever to you, I think to myself bitterly as she slams the door. I click 'resume' on my Glee Season 2 DVD.

- - - -

I seemed to have fallen asleep, because when I heard the frantic knocking, I was very startled. "Jeez!" I woke up, and the knocking increased. "Coming," I yelled.

"Iris! Iris! Is Cassie in there, or what... I am going to kill her!" came a voice behind the door.

I open the pounding door as Mike keeps knocking. "I answered the door," I snap, "You can stop knocking now. And no, Cassie's not here."

Mike huffs, "Where the hell is she!" I take a quick look at the boy on my doorstep. Mike looks kind of... worn. He's mad, sure, but I can see the faint bags under his eyes. He's tired. And I have a feeling this is a Cassie-induced illness.

I realize right then and there I have to lie to him. Not because I want to, but because telling him she's on another date with another boy might do him in. "She's at Jamba Juice with Peyton," I lie quickly and look away from his eyes.

"Tell me where she really is," Mike drawls out. I almost groan at his insistence.

"At Jamba Juice with Michelle," I say again, more steadily this time.

Mike narrows his eyes, "I thought you said she was with Peyton."

"She is," I snap. "Stop trying to make me confess to lying because I'm definitely not."

"Whatever," Mike rubs his face with one hand and I feel my heart beat an extra beat of pity.

Then... the invitation... it's like word vomit...

"Do you want to just hang out with me instead?" I ask.

Yes, I definitely have an illness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eek. I'm still alive. Promise. The creative-juices are flowing now, though! A break was much needed but now I'm back! Anything you want to see happen in either this story or the other one? I'm totally open to suggestions!

Thanks for sticking around, I want to love you.

ps-- I updated Vic so go give it love!!

Chapter title: Ten Cent Blues by Eisley