The Good That Won't Come Out

And So It Comes To This

"You are a bitch," she cried after opening the door. "Why did you give Pete my phone number?"

"Hailey, I just wanted you to be happy! I knew I shouldn't have done it. I'm sorry."

"It's ok, I still love you."

"Let's go get some dinner."

"Ok."

Hailey got ready for the evening in a tiny black dress with spaghetti straps and a super low v cowl neck and strappy heels. Then they caught a cab. They ate a quick dinner, then headed to the new club. Hailey started to get into the line, but Lauren stopped her.

"Oh, Hailey, you're going to hate me."

"What?" she asked cautiously.

"We're on the guest list."

"And how did that happen?"

Lauren grimaced.

"This is Pete's club."

"Lauren, I can't go in there."

"Yes, you can, it's just Pete."

"It's not just Pete. Patrick Stump is my ex. The break up was pretty nasty and we haven't even talked about it.. He thinks I cheated on him. My mom got herself involved and lied to him. He basically explained everything through Pete. It was a real mess. He's got a girlfriend. Lauren, I can't go in there."

"Hailey, you need to face this. I've watched you avoid this situation ever since I met you. We won't go into the VIP room, ok?"

Hailey was terrified. She had this sick, torn feeling. She wanted to see him, but didn't at the same time. She had never really gotten over Patrick, and seeing him could bring it all back. But, maybe Lauren was right, she needed to overcome this.

"Ok. I need to deal with this, you're right. Is the band playing?"

"Yes."

"Cool," she said, attempting a smile.

"That's a girl."

Hailey and Lauren walked into the club. It was beautiful, designed -big surprise- in all red and black. There was a huge stage and dance floor. Pete approached them, a wide smile on his face.

"Hey you!"

"Hey Pete!" Hailey said with a smile, "awesome place."

"Thanks! I see Lauren talked you into coming."

"Yes, she's persuasive."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"I'm glad you're here."

"What about me?" Lauren pouted.

"And you too, beautiful," he said with a grin. "I've got to go mingle, go check out the VIP lounge. Oh, and Hailey, you look extremely hot tonight."

Hailey blushed, pushed him away and went to the bar and ordered a drink. Pete made his way to the stage, welcoming everyone to the club. She sat at the bar with Lauren.

"Oh, Pete is so hot. I wonder if he has a girlfriend."

"Knowing Pete, probably not."

Then, like a flash of lightening, she saw him. There was Patrick, standing at the sound board. He looked the same: same figure, same scruffy blonde hair poking from out of a hat. Her heart stopped and her lungs constricted. She couldn't breathe.

"Hai, are you ok? You don't look so good."

Lauren looked at the glazed expression on her face, and heard the short, sharp breaths.

"Hailey? Hailey!"

Hailey stared at him, his profile highlighted by the pale light. She started into a full panic attack. Then, when a beautiful blonde girl came and put her arm around him and kissed him, her eyes went frighteningly wide. Lauren began to shake her and she came out of her trance.

"Lauren, I can't do this," she whispered.

"Where is he?"

She pointed to him and Lauren let a corner of her mouth turn upward.

"Maybe you should talk to him."

"There's nothing left to say. He's moved on."

"Fine, let's go down by the stage. He won't talk to you while he's playing."

It was like a train wreck, Hailey knew it was too much, but she couldn't stop staring. She let Lauren lead her down front to where Pete usually played. She stood there in silence. Fall Out Boy took the stage. Patrick stood there, almost right in front of her, grinning like mad at the crowd. He picked up his guitar and looked at Pete. Pete smiled wickedly and nodded down to the crowd. Before Hailey could hide, Patrick followed Pete's nod and his gaze rested on Hailey. The panic in his face was obvious. They both stood there, staring at each other. Both of them couldn't catch their breath. Hailey broke his gaze and looked away. Only then, was he able to play. Her eyes filled with tears as she watched him.

Hailey moved back to the bar once the band finished playing. The place started to clear out a little. Lauren was flirting with Pete and she sat there alone. Her beer was getting warm and she swirled the leftovers in the bottom of the bottle.

"Hi."

Hailey knew that voice anywhere. She looked up to see Patrick standing in front of her. She couldn't say anything, she couldn't even smile.

"It's been awhile," he prodded on.

More silence, but she managed a nod. She thought her heart was going to burst.

"You look happy," she forced out.

"Yeah, I am. There's someone I want you to meet.," he said, grabbing her elbow to guide her. She planted her feet.

"I can't meet her, Patrick,"" she stated.

"What? Why not?"

"I don't want to meet her. I'd rather be blissfully naive. Patrick, I'm going to go."

"Hailey, it's been forever. You're telling me you don't want to catch up?"

"You're the one who left me behind," she muttered, "and now you want to catch up."

"What?" he said, raising his voice.

"Nothing."

"If you've got something to say, say it."

"Why do you want to listen to me now?" she snarled, raising her voice above his.

"You're the one who lied!" he yelled.

"I never lied! You never let me explain!" she hollered.

The girl who Hailey had earlier seen with Patrick approached them.

"Patrick, honey, is everything ok?"

"Yes, Savannah, everything's fine."

The girl protectively put her arm around Patrick. Lauren and Pete had also joined the arguing couple. Lauren put her hand on Hailey's shoulder. Hailey bowed her head, embarrassed and defeated.

"Lauren, I need to go," she said softly. Then, she turned to Patrick and looked him straight in the eyes. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry for whatever I did to make you not trust me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments! You guys are the best!