The Good That Won't Come Out

Business as Usual

So, man, what was it like hanging out with Hailey?" Pete asked Patrick.

Patrick was quiet for a moment, thinking.

"It was nice while it lasted. Until you interrupted, you silly bastard."

"So, you guys could probably be friends now, right?"

"Bro, did you forget about Savannah? She hates Hailey."

"Screw Savannah!" Pete cried passionately. "Let me ask you something and I want you to answer me honestly. Are you in love with her?"

Patrick bit his lip, his breath catching in his lungs.

"Pete, it doesn't really matter."

"Answer my question."

"No."

Pete looked triumphant and Patrick looked ashamed. He looked out the window of the car as Pete was driving back to the hotel. The sun was setting on the ocean and the sky was warm with pinks, purples, and oranges. They didn't talk for the rest of the drive back. They got back to their little house.

"Do you want to go out tonight?" Pete asked.

"Umm, I guess so."

Pete took his phone out of his pocket. He talked animatedly for a few moments. Then, he turned back to Patrick.

"Ok, Lauren and Hailey are at Cho Cho San for sushi and then they're going to Yankee Doodles for drinks. You up for it?"

Patrick shrugged his shoulders, "I suppose."

"Pete and Patrick are on their way over," Lauren said brightly.

Hailey sat in silence, trying to deal with the idea of hanging out with Patrick.

"Lauren," she said quietly, "I can't do this anymore. Promise me you aren't playing any games."

"No, Hai. If Patrick didn't want to hang out, he would have said no. Just try to have fun."

The boys walked in and joined the two girls. Lauren and Pete were smooching.

"Hey," Patrick said.

"Hey," she replied.

"So are you ok with this? I mean with us hanging out?"

"Of course Patrick, you've moved on, I've moved on. It's totally cool," she lied through her teeth.

"Good."

They ate and joked until they had their fill, then they headed down the street to the club. They all walked in together, but Lauren and Hailey immediately went to the dance floor. Pete joined them while Patrick stood off on the side. He watched Hailey move to the music and she made it look effortless. The other girls looked like cheap strippers compared to her. Her expression was one of pure tranquility, like she was in her element. Patrick's heart lurched as a guy approached her and tried to dance. The guy whispered in her ear and they left the dance floor where he bought her a drink. Patrick's phone began to ring. He looked at the caller id, it was Savannah. So, he stepped outside onto the patio to take the call.

"Hey baby," he said.

"Hi! You didn't call me tonight."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I went to dinner with Pete and we're at a club now."

"Without me?"

Patrick sighed irritably.

"Yes, is there something wrong with that?"

"No need to be so hostile, honey," she sulked. "I was thinking about coming out this weekend. What do you think?"

"Ummm, well, I'm pretty busy this weekend , Sav. It might be better to wait for a little while."

"What, you don't want to see me?"

"No, it's not that. I just don't want you to come out here and have to be alone the whole time. Look, it's kind of loud here, I'll call you back later."

"Patrick Stump, are you avoiding me?" she asked shrilly.

"Dammit Savannah! Why are you so insecure!" he shot.

"Because, every girl wants you and I'm not there. Don't be a jerk."

"I don't want to do this now," he grumbled. "I'll call you back tonight."

"Fine!" she yelled, hanging up the phone.

Angrily, Patrick shoved the phone in his pocket and then walked back into the building. Lauren and Pete were at the bar and Hailey was still dancing. Patrick decided to approach the couple.

"Hey Patty," Lauren giggled and Patrick rolled his eyes. "Why don't you go dance with Hailey."

"Umm, Lauren, babe, she looks a little busy," Pete said.

Patrick turned around to see Hailey dancing provocatively with a guy. Jealousy flared up inside of him. He was conflicted. He was not supposed to feel this way. He wondered why it was still so awkward to be around her. They hadn't been together for over a year.

"Patrick, are your eyes turning green?" Lauren quipped.

"It's not like that," he fired back. "Besides, I'm not much of a dancer."

"You're better than me," Pete said. All of a sudden, the music slowed down. All the dancers began to cling to each other. Pete nudged him. So, he took a chance.

"May I cut in?" he asked.

"Who the hell" the guy spat.

"Certainly," Hailey said.

He put his arms around her familiar waist and felt her arms go around his neck. Out of sheer instinct, he pulled her close. Her heart pounded as she felt his body against hers. She put her hands in the back of his hair and closed her eyes. She got a whiff of his cologne and a wave of nausea rushed over her and she released him.

"Patrick, I'm sorry, I can't do this. It's just too weird. I'm sorry," she cried, and left him alone on the dance floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hullo! Here's another update. Comments would be greatly appreciated!