The Good That Won't Come Out

I'm Walking After You

She arrived at Lauren's and banged on the door. When no one answered, she banged again. Finally, Lauren answered the door in a robe, looking irritated. However the irritation melted away when she saw the expression on Hailey's face.

"Hailey, what's wrong?"

"Pete, get your fool ass out here!" Hailey yelled.

Pete came out in jeans and a wifebeater.

"What the hell Hai?" he grumbled.

"Did either of you know what Patrick was up to?"

They both gave her blank expressions.

"Pete, did you have anything to do with today?"

"I don't even know what you're talking about!" he exclaimed.

"Oh, flowers, music, candles, a fucking serenade and profession of love in my..."

Lauren was looking guiltily away.

"Lauren? You let him in my apartment, didn't you?"

"Hailey, I'm so sorry. He was just so miserable. He begged me!"

"Dammit, why did he do this now? Why not 2 months ago, or hell, over a year ago when he was, oh wait, ignoring me," she seethed. "This is bullshit!'

"He loves you," Pete said pointedly. "He always has. I think he thought it was now or never."

"How am I going to break his heart again?" Hailey asked, sinking into the couch, burying her face in her hands. They both gave her horrified looks. "Why did he have to do this?"

"You mean to tell me that you have no feelings for him whatsoever?" Pete asked.

"It doesn't matter. I've moved on! I'm happy for the first time in a year and a half. I'm not going to give in because he finally decided he wants to be with me. I don't want to be with him!"

"Hailey," Lauren said slowly, "Promise me something."

"What?"

"Don't write Patrick off."

"And why shouldn't I?"

"Because you love each other. Shut up! I know you still do."

"I can't promise you that Lauren."

With that, Hailey left the house. She checked her cell phone that she had left in the car. There was 1 missed call and a message from Patrick.

"Hailey, please just talk to me. I'll be at the park."

She took off and drove home. Back in her apartment, she looked out the window at the park across the street. She squinted, trying to find him. Finally, she decided to go find him knowing that if she waited, she'd only get more angry. She traveled down the path until she spied Patrick, leaning up against a tree. He looked up at her as she stood before him. She sat down next to him.

"Oh, Patty," she murmured, "Why now?"

He looked at her.

"I couldn't deny it anymore. I've always loved you, but on that beach in California, I just realized that I can't be without you."

"Then why didn't you say it then? Patrick, I'm finally over it. Let me move on."

His eyes misted over.

"Please give me another chance. You are the love of my life, Hailey. There will never be another you."

Hailey thought about what Lauren and Pete had told her. When she looked at Patrick, she could feel her heart melting. She still couldn't deny him. His eyes pleaded with her.

"You have to give me time. I'm not ready to let you in again. You'll only end up hurting me."

"I swear to you that I'll never hurt you again," he promised.

"You've made and broken a lot of promises. Besides, you just broke up with Savannah."

"I know. I'm sorry I was so stupid. I never should have listened to all the rumors and I knew that email wasn't you. I was just so worked up that I started to believe everything. This whole time has been a regret for me."

Patrick looked so serious that Hailey thought he was going to explode. She cracked a smile.

"Patty, you have terrible timing."

"I know, and stop calling me Patty."

"I only do it because I know it annoys you, Patty."

He began to smile also.

"Hailes, where does this leave us?"

"Look, I don't even know you anymore Patrick. I can only give you two answers right now: no or maybe."

"I'll take a maybe," he interrupted.

"Then we have to start being friends again. You know, talking, hanging out."

"I can handle that."

"And...I'm going to keep seeing Ben. You can date whoever you want."

"What!?" he cried.

"I told you: I'm not ready to jump in with you."

"Yah, but seeing other people?"

"You could take a no," Hailey said simply.

"No, I still want the maybe."

"Are we cool?"

"I guess so...yah."

"Walk me back to my place?"

"Yes."

They walked back to her apartment. The air was cool and crisp, fall had finally come. Hailey shivered a little. Patrick took off his jacket and put it around her shoulders. She smiled to herself as she took a deep breath taking in his familiar scent. She stole a peek at him. He was wearing his baseball hat and the thick black framed glasses. This was how she loved him: nerdy and intellectual. Even though he didn't know it, it was hard for her to not just jump back into it with him. She knew things needed to be different. They got up to her building and her stomach growled.

"Do you want to go get dinner?" she asked.

"Ok."

They got in her car and headed to a restaurant. Things were not as tense as they were before. Hailey told him about her job, he talked about the tour. They were enjoying each other's company, smiling and laughing. Afterwards, she drove him back to his place. He looked at her carefully and cleared his throat.

"May I kiss you?" he asked politely.

Hailey stared at him. She began to feel nauseous.

"I don't think that's a good idea." However, she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "I had fun with you tonight. You're leaving tomorrow aren't you?"

He winced.

"Yes. But, I'll call you as often as I can."

He grabbed her shoulders and looked her in the eyes.

"Hailey, this time it's different. You might date other people, but I'm not going to. I know who I want to be with. You can trust me, I'll prove it to you."
♠ ♠ ♠
My god! I didn't realize how long it had been. Sorry I left you hangin!!!!!