The Good That Won't Come Out

When You're Around

Hailey's phone rang, "So take me home, don't leave me alone, I'm not that good, but I'm not that bad." She looked at the caller ID and didnt recognize the number. She shrugged.

"Hey you!"
"Hello?"

"It's Patrick."

"Oh, hi!" Hailey's heart jumped into her throat.

"So, what are you doing today?"

"Nothing really. Just hanging around."

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" Patrick asked, holding his breath.

"Sure!"

"Good, I'm outside of your hotel right now."

"Oh stalker, I'll be right down."

She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, fixed her hair and went downstairs. Patrick was waving and there was a guy standing next to him, short with dark hair. Hailey approached them and smiled awkwardly.

"Hey," she said.

"You were right, she is hot," the other guy smiled.

Patrick turned bright red.

"Hailey, this is Pete, Pete, Hailey."

Hailey stuck her hand out, "Pleasure meeting you, Pete."

He took her hand and looking deep into her eyes, kissed it.

"The pleasure's all mine."

Patrick cleared his throat and Hailey ripped her hand away. Pete just laughed.

"Come on Romeo, let's go."

They got into a car, Pete was driving and Patrick took the back seat giving Hailey the front. They blasted some music and Hailey sang along happily. Pete and she danced around, waving at the people who stared at them. She couldn't see Patrick smiling in the back seat. They got to a restaurant and she got out of the car, pulling the seat forward to let Patrick out. She held her hand out and he took it. When he caught her eyes, her heart began to pound.

"Thanks," he said, tearing her away from her nerves.

They entered the restaurant and were lead to a table. Pete sat on one side and Hailey on the other. Patrick stood there for a moment looking at the two of them before Pete slid into the middle of his side and Hailey patted the seat next to her.

"I don't have rabies, Patty," she said sarcastically. He grimaced at the name as he slid in next to her.

"Don't call me that," he groaned. She pushed head on his shoulder and looked up at him, batting her eyelashes. He looked down at her beautiful face and smiled.

"Sorry," she said, sticking her lower lip out.

"Ahh, now you start making me feel guilty. It's not fair."

"Come on, Patty's kinda cute," Pete said with a wicked grin on his face.

They ordered their food and talked. Pete commanded most of the conversation chattering about everything from the band to the record label he was going to start. Hailey smiled and nodded a lot, stealing glances at Patrick. He caught her eyes and smiled, sliding his arm around the back of the seat.

"Aww, how cute! Patty's got a girlfriend," Pete goaded, putting down his soda. Hailey kicked him under the table. "Watch out, or I'll leave you here."

"Ahh, Petey, you'd never leave me behind, you love me too much."

"Yah, Petey, where's Alfalfa?" Patrick fired back.

"With your mom," Pete answered. Then he turned his attention back to Hailey. "Confident, aren't we?"

"Yup. Now, are you done yet?"

Pete laughed and Hailey grabbed the bill to figure out how much she owed. Patrick wrenched the bill out of her hand.

"Uh-uh, no way, I'm a gentleman."

Pete's phone rang and he signaled to them he was going outside.

"Always leaving me to pay, the cheap bastard."

He stood up to leave and Hailey slid out of the booth. They walked out together. They were walking so closely that their arms were continuously brushing. Pete hooted at them when he saw.

"Ooooohhhh! Patty and Hailey sitting in a tree."

"Shut up!" they both yelled in unison, but took a step away from each other. "Fine, look I'm taking you somewhere for a surprise."

"Oh yah? Where?" Hailey asked.

"If I told you, then it wouldn't be a surprise."

They arrived at the old movie theater and Pete parked the car.

"Goonies? Pete you rock!" she cried, launching herself from the car.

"Hey you guys!" Patrick cawed. Pete grinned, "Thought you guys would like it." Hailey began to march towards the box office and Pete grabbed Patrick as he began to follow.

"You better make a move on her. Stop being a pussy!"

Patrick gave him a dirty look and followed Hailey to the box office. She had already bought three tickets.

"Hailey! You're not supposed to pay for anything!" Patrick exclaimed.

"What is this a date or something?" she replied with a grin.

He got flustered.

"Well, no. I think my imaginary girlfriend would get upset."

His heart soared when her smile faded a little. However, she covered it quickly and playfully pushed his shoulder.

"Come on, let's go in." she linked arms with Patrick and Pete and entered the movie theater. She sat between the two of them. Patrick shifted nervously in his seat as Hailey purposefully put her arm on the armrest. Pete sat back trying to control his laughter. It was like watching the first awkward date between two high school kids. When the lights went down, Patrick settled his arm on the armrest right next to hers. Her arms prickled with goose bumps at the initial touch. By the end of the movie, Patrick still had not made a move.

Hailey knew it was wrong. She hadn't thought of James all day. All she wanted was to kiss Patrick. She watched his profile during the movie. She loved the way his full lips curved into a genuine smile when he thought something was funny, the way he knew every line to the movie by heart. She never felt this way with James, maybe only when she was 16 and he was her first boyfriend. He caught her staring at him a few times and she would blush and look away, mortified.

They drove her back to the hotel and she hugged them both. Pete gave her all the information for the video shoot the next day. Patrick watched her retreat into the lobby.

"Let me guess, you pussed out," Pete said.

Patrick tore his eyes away from Hailey and looked at Pete.

"Dude, I'm not you. The whole girl thing just freaks me out."

"It doesn't have to be that way," Pete said simply.

"Come on, look at me, I'm not exactly a picture of hotness."

Pete groaned. "Not this again! Patrick, you're a good looking guy and you have nothing to worry about."

"Do you believe in love a first sight?" Patrick asked suddenly.

"Nah, that's just infatuation, bro."

"I didn't either, until yesterday. Now I feel like I can't breathe without her. I barely even know her."

Pete was silent for a moment. "Seriously?"

"Yah."

"Then go for it, you'll never forgive yourself otherwise."

Patrick looked out the window at the passing cars. "I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took so long!!! I'll update more quickly!