The Good That Won't Come Out

Love Overcomes Everything

They laid in bed, talking quietly.

"How could you ever forgive me after the way I treated you?" he asked.

"Patrick, how could you forgive me after I left you? I just loved you too much and I had to make myself understand why. Is it horrible that I'm scared?"

"No, after everything that happened before, I don't blame you. But, I'm telling you right now, you don't have to be. Now that I have you back, I'm never letting you go."

"How long are you staying this time?"

"We have to go back on the 27th."

Hailey buried her face in his chest and choked back tears.

"Will you go to my parents with me for Christmas? I know that they would love to meet you."

"Of course, I'd love to meet them. Patrick, how much longer until you're back for a long period instead of just 2 or 3 days?"

"We finished the East Coast, but we still have mid-west and the West coast, then Europe.

Once that's done, we all decided to take a break before we put out the next album. We'll get a couple weeks between the US and Europe. You should come with me." Patrick stated.

"I have a job, honey. I can't just drop everything, I've got to pay my rent."

"You may change your mind," he replied with a grin, kissing her on the lips. "Now let's get up, birthday girl."

Hailey sat up revealing the tattoo on her back.

"When did you get that?" he asked, running a hand over it.

"When we were all in LA," she replied.

"Where did you get the design?"

"Pete. He said he found it in a magazine and sketched it out. Said it was perfect for me."

Patrick began to laugh.

"What?"

"I drew that."

"What?"

"I said, I drew that. That was a doodle in my journal."

She began to laugh.

"Good old Pete. Well, I guess we really are stuck together now."

"Hey, that's not a bad thing. And it looks really good."

They got up and took a shower, then went out to the kitchen. Lauren and Pete were still in bed, or at least not in the living area. Patrick made Hailey breakfast and they sat and ate, staring at the white world through the window.

"Thank you for coming," Hailey said.

"Hey, I wouldn't miss out on the holidays with you for anything. Plus, it's your birthday. So, I've got to go shopping and get some last minute gifts. Do you want to go with me?"

"Sounds fun. I'll go get dressed."

Hailey went to the bedroom and threw on a pair of jeans and a black v-neck cashmere sweater with some black Adios. She blew dry her hair and put on some make-up. When she came out of the bathroom, Patrick was sitting on the bed.

"God woman, you realize that all the stores close early on Christmas Eve."

Hailey jumped on him.
"It's my birthday, let me beautify myself."

"You're beautiful all the time. Oh, I got you a couple birthday presents."

"Ooh! Presents?"

Patrick pulled out a couple of packages from his suitcase. She opened the first one and squealed. It was an army green wool pea coat.

"I've been wanting one of these," she started.

"Forever," he finished.

She opened the other package and her mouth curled into a huge smile. It was an autographed copy of Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

"You know me too well. This is awesome Patrick!"

"You really like it?"

"I love it, and I love you."

"Thank you," she said giving him a kiss.

"We should go though, or the stores will all be closed.."

Patrick nodded and helped her into the new jacket. She wrapped a long scarf around her neck while Patrick slid into his jacket. This time Lauren and Pete were in the living room, finishing the remnants of Patrick's breakfast.

"We're going shopping guys," Hailey announced.

"I think we're staying in," Pete said, pulling Lauren close.

"Ok, see you later," Patrick said.

Patrick opened the door of the car and Hailey stepped out, smoothing her skirt around her. She gazed nervously up at the house. It was beautifully lit with colorful lights, and the Christmas tree was shining in the window.

"Don't worry, they're going to love you."

Hailey nodded and allowed Patrick to lead her up to the front door. He opened it and hollered inside.

"Mom! We're here!"

Hailey smiled as a woman and young man came out into the living room. Patrick hugged them both.. His mother threw her arms around her.

"It's so lovely to finally meet you, Hailey!"

"It's nice to meet you also," Hailey smiled.

Patrick's brother, Kevin, also gave her a hug and led her into the living room. Patrick talked to his brother while Hailey sat on the couch with his mother.

"I must tell you, it's about time you two got back together. Patrick was absolutely terrible without you. I don't know what happened between the two of you, but I'm so glad you are here to make my son happy again."

"Thank you, Mrs. Stump, it means a lot."

"Oh, call me Pat, honey."

Patrick and Kevin kept looking at Hailey and she kept smiling at them uncomfortably.

"So, you live in Chicago?"

"Yes, I moved from London a couple years ago."

"Why on earth would you move away from London?"

Patrick turned his gaze to her again, waiting for an answer.

"Well, it's too gloomy," his face dropped. "And, the man I love is in Chicago." His face lit up and he came over to sit by her. She kissed him on the cheek and smiled. They had dinner and exchanged gifts, then they went home. Patrick was fidgeting in the car.

"Babe, are you ok?" she asked, getting out of the car.

"Yeah, too much energy. I forgot my mom always makes crack coffee. I shouldn't have drank it. Hey, do you want to go for a walk?"

"Sure."

Patrick held his arm out and Hailey linked hers with his. They walked down the street, feet crunching in the snow, breath making steam in the freezing air.

"It really was a great Christmas. I'm so glad you're here." Hailey said thoughtfully. They reached the frozen lake. The ice made strange noises, like a giant glass if ice water. It crackled and sputtered pleasantly. The moon lit up the sky making the ice shimmer and sparkle. Patrick stopped walking and put his arms around her. She leaned against him, enjoying just being together.

"Patrick?"

"Yes?"

"I don't want you to leave."

He was silent for a moment, placing his head on her shoulder and closing his eyes. They stood there, not moving, clinging to each other.

"I don't want to go either. Tell me, Hailes, is this going to work?"

She gave him a terrified look.

"Are you... do you want it to?"

"Do you love me?"

"You know that I do, don't you?" Hailey's fear was increasing with every question.

"Yes, of course. I can't do this long distance thing. It's too hard."

A tear slipped down her cheek. And just as she thought it was over, he slid down onto one knee.

"Patrick!" she gasped.

"Hailey, I can't fake it anymore. I cannot be without you everyday. Being without you is like being without air. I need you everyday because I'm not myself without you. I love you and I need you with me all the time. Hailey Andrews, will you marry me?"

Hailey stood there dumbly, her mouth open. Reality hit her like a brick and she began to cry.

"Patrick, really?"

"Really, be my wife."

"God, yes! I'll marry you!"

She pulled Patrick from his knee and kissed him.

"I thought you were going to dump me!"

Patrick blushed, "I'm not too good at this stuff. I'm sorry."

"No, it was you and it was perfect."

"So, I guess you want this," he said, pulling out a blue box with a white bow.

"Tiffany's?" she gaped, "This is too much!"

"I was in New York for a show."

"That was before you and I even started talking again," she murmured ,taking the box from his hand.

"I knew, Hailey. It's always been you. Of course, I didn't expect you to turn me down like you did at first. But, it was better that way. This feels right."

Hailey kissed him and opened the box.

"My god! It's beautiful, Patrick."

The ring was platinum and very simple. It was a square shaped cushion diamond, not to large and not to small with some old fashioned details like ornate scrolling and tiny diamonds filling it out.

"You really like it? I saw it and thought of you."

"It's perfect."

"Come on tour with me, please Hailey."

"Babe..."

"Please?"

He gave her the puppy dog eyes and her heart melted.

"Of course, Patrick. I'll do anything to make you happy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin! Thanks to all of you who stuck through it!!!! I really appreciate all the feedback and everything.