The Good That Won't Come Out

You Don't Need To Tell Me

She walked back into the hotel room, blissfully unaware that James had been waiting for her. He sat on the couch watching tv. When she walked in, he jumped up.

"Good Lord, your hair. How did it go?" he asked.

Hailey felt guilty. She had just cheated on James and she had been sober and in her right mind. She couldn't excuse her behavior, but she had never felt the way she felt when she was with Patrick. It was different. He made her heart flutter with every look.

"It was a lot of fun. But, hard work at the same time. I had to dance with the band and none of them knew what they were doing."

"Well, put on something nice, I'm taking you out to dinner."

"Ok."

Hailey changed into a dress and prettied herself up. Then, she took his arm and he led her down to the front of the hotel where a limo was waiting. The driver opened the door and they slid in. She hadn't noticed Patrick. He had been standing at the front door, watching her leave with him. It made him ill. He had only just met Hailey, but he had totally fallen for her. There was no explanation. Then, watching her with her boyfriend, he began to feel stupid.
So, he dialed her number.

"Hey, you!" she answered the phone.

"I came to see you, but you were all ready gone."

"Ah, I'm going out to dinner with James."

"Who is it?" James asked, Patrick could hear him over the line.

"It's Patrick, remember? I told you about him."

"I bet you didn't tell him everything," Patrick said sourly.

"I will."

"Did today mean anything to you?"

"Stop it! You know the answer to that."

"I saw you with him," he said quietly.

Hailey looked at James and gave him her best smile.

"And..."

"I can't hardly stand it, Hailey. Please tell me you're going to end it.

"Of course. Now, I've got to go and stop ignoring James. Later." She said, hanging up the phone.

"What was that all about?" James asked.

"Oh, something about a wrap party."

"Ah, we're here."

James and Hailey were led to a table with a gorgeous view of the ocean and the setting sun. James fidgeted. Hailey began to get nervous, thinking that he knew something. They ate in silence, which was unusual for them. Finally dessert came. James cleared his throat. To Hailey's horror, he got down on one knee.

"James"

"Hailey, I love you"

She interrupted, "James, don't."

He popped open the ring box.

"Hailey Victoria Andrews, will you be my wife?"

"James, get up," she hissed, "We need to talk."

James gave her a confused expression and returned to his chair.

"Do you think we really love each other? Or, do you think we do because we have to?"

James looked at the floor. "I don't know."

"Have you ever cheated on me? You can tell me, I promise I won't be angry."

James knew Hailey was honest and that he could tell her anything. But, he also didn't want to hurt her.

"Well," he began hesitantly, "yes, once when I was in New York."

"Was it a one night stand, or something more."

He burned red and felt nauseous.

"Well, yes, it lasted about a month and then she told me it was over."

"Because of me?" she asked softly.

He nodded.

"James, I met someone."

"Do you love him?"

"Not yet. But, I really like him. It's just...different."

James took her hands in his and looked sincerely into her face.

"Hailes, if you want to, we can take some time off, see how we really feel."

Her eyes filled with tears and she sniffed.

"I think that would be good."

She began to sob and James took her in his arms.

"Don't cry, love."

"I'm scared."

"Don't be, who knows, maybe we'll find out we really do love each other. Then, think of where we'll be. Nothing'll be able to stop us."

She sniffed and clung to him. Feelings were rushing through her and she didn't know what to do. For the first time in eight years, she was going to be without James. He too had mixed emotions. All they had ever known was each other.

"I need to get some sleep, I've got an early flight," James whispered. "We should go back."
♠ ♠ ♠
hullo! Comments please!