"Mommy, Please Don't Hurt Me!"

Chapter three: On The Run

I walked into my room slowly sure to not make a sound. I carefully walked over to my closet filled with only a couple of outfits so that I could find my old riding outfit. I slipped it on over my clothes, knowing that tonight would be a cold night.
All of a sudden I turned to the door because I heard my mother coming up the stairs, probably to go to bed. So I jumped in my bed and closed my eyes so it looked like I was sleeping. I didn’t want to start anything with her tonight.
I could hear her steps, they were slow and staggering it sounded like she was drunk. I could hear her bump into a couple of walls before her bedroom. I sat still, and I heard silence.
So I got up, and put my arm through the other sleeve of my shirt. Then I opened the creaky window and lowered one leg out the window at a time until my body was completely on the other side. I shut the window behind me and promised myself I wouldn’t be out late tonight for Tyler’s sake.
I ran through the colorful leaves of autumn all the way to the stables just so I could hear the crunching of the leaves beneath me. I pulled the sliding, wooden, rusty door as hard as I could and I saw Nessa as soon as I walked in. The shape of her mouth looked like she was smiling when ever she saw me. I knew it was like that for everyone but it was adorable and I loved it.
“Aww…Nessa! How are you doing pretty girl?”
I kept glancing at Nessa’s smile and it still felt like she was smiling at me. Her black hair was bursting with shine today. I could see the other horses around her and I felt like I wasn’t giving them enough attention.
“Hey, Harry!”
“Hello, Butternut!”
“Hi, Sally!”
When I said hi to them they all were replying with a short moan. They thought it was time to eat because I always greeted them that way when I was going to feed them their lunch.
I walked over to Nessa and I felt weightless because I was standing on dried hay. I pulled open the old brown gate and I jumped. I felt a spider crawl along my hand, as it was walking I could feel each hairy leg touch my soft cold skin. I brushed it off, and pulled her out by her reins and I put my left foot into the saddle and then swung my right leg over.
“Alright, Common Nessa!”
She galloped along, happy to be out for the first time in eight hours. I loved taking Nessa out, there was one area that I planned on going today, that I wanted to go to for a while now. It was called, “Watery Wallows”. It was known well in our small town filled with only 100 people because there was supposedly a lot of things haunting there. When I was younger my cousin told me stories of people going in there and never coming back, but of course he wasn’t brave enough to go in himself. But I am not very superstitious so I went in anyways. I new that if I was going to go into somewhere like this, with such a reputation Nessa would be the one to come.
We were now within a mile of the forest and I decided to slow down. So I jerked on Nessa’s reigns and said, “Woahhh girl!”. As she gradually slowed down, I felt a bit queasy from the speed change.
Nessa jumped back suddenly and nearly knocked me off. I saw a raccoon ahead of me and it was foaming at the mouth I knew that the raccoon was rabid so I sped Nessa up again, and looked ahead of me, we were finally at the forest.
I got Nessa to a trot and we slowly went through the forest, oddly I was slightly afraid when I knew I didn’t believe in that stuff. I kept looking up to see the glow of the moon with the silhouette of the trees over it. When I looked down, it was so dark that I couldn’t see anything past Nessa’s knees. It looked almost as if we were floating. I got to the center of the forest and pulled back on Nessa so she would stop. I sat for about five minutes, checking my surroundings. I was freezing. I sat. And I sat. And I sat. Nothing happened.
I suddenly heard a loud screaming, “Siiiierrrraaa!!!!!!!” it was my mothers loud, angry voice. She couldn’t find me, and I knew she was in a bad mood. I was dead.
I yanked on Nessa as hard as I could and pulled her in the direction out of the woods, I could feel Nessa’s heart under me beating as fast as it could. It felt like it was going to pop out. We were out of the forest and I could see the glare lights of the house glowing from about two miles away. The country road was gravel, and if anything happened and I fell off Nessa, she wouldn’t notice and I would be hurt, bad.
I looked up, and without knowing it we were at the stable. Nessa knew her way. I jumped off her back one foot at a time and I pulled her into her personalized stable, “Nessa” it read across the stable door. I rubbed the area between her eyes and I jogged out of the stable. I slammed the door shut and put two large locks on the barn door.
I was afraid that my mom knew I was gone. When I would go into that house, we would know what would happen. I could already see her in my mind, steaming, face red, drunk, and staggering. She would swing at me tonight. It would be just another bruise for my teachers to ask me about.