The Untouchable... There's A Small Line Between Love And Hate

Chapter 2

Alexa McCannon squeezed through the crowd that had amassed inside Flourish and Blotts and headed for the door, shoving people out of her way as she went.

She stepped on more than a few toes, murmured a few insincere apologies, and finally managed to reach the door, stepping out into the sweltering heat of Diagon Alley.

I'll just have to get my school books later. It's way too crowded in there, she thought lazily to herself as she began to walk slowly down the street, examining shop windowns and avoiding people's eyes.

Alexa didn't like people much. She was a loner by choice, and she rather liked it that way. She did have a few people, whom she now grudgingly called friends, that had put up with her surlinesss through her five years at Hogwarts.

Her fellow Gryffindor, Hermione Granger, was one of the few people that Alexa did like and the closest thing she had to a friend. They had been friends ever since the first day of their First Year at Hogwarts, when Hermione and been shunned for her know-it-all attitude and Alexa had just been... weird.

Alexa had always been labeled off as the weird, athletic half-blood with a bad attitude, a quick-temper, and sharp tongue, which suited her just fine because she found that she didn't care much what other people thought of her.

She didn't need them.

She didn't need anyone.

Alexa sighed and tugged at her long mahogany tresses absentmindedly. She stopped in front of Bradford's Broomsticks and Quiditch Supplies (Her favorite store. She is a chaser for the Gryffindor team and is extremely good. It's one of her passions.) and gazed longingly at the shiny handled broomsticks on display.

There were Firebolts and Nimbuses and all kinds practically begging her to buy them.

I wish, she thought angrily to herself.

Alexa shivered. She had the feeling she was being watched. She turned around slowly, apprehensively.

Her large green eyes locked, just briefly, with a pair of icy blue ones.

They belonged to a very handsome guy with white-blonde hair and an annoying smirk, who was sitting at a table underneath Mr. Frotisque's Ice Cream Parlor, his feet propped up lazily. He was watching her with an odd look on his face that made Alexa uneasy.

She couldn't help but notice how hot he was though, her eyes flasing to his perfectly chiseled abs that were clearly visible underneath his thin white T-Shirt.

Damn, she smiled to herself, still studying the guy who had now turned away and was talking quietly with another boy she knew to be Blaise Zabini, a Slytherinn Sixth Year.

Damn.

She shifted her eyes away from him quickly and at the sound of her name from somewhere behind her.

She turned and saw a very familiar mass of bushy brown hair waving madly at her from across the street.

Hermione, she thought, smiling to herself. All thoughts of the blonde-haired hottie fled her mind temporarily as she smiled grudgingly and waved back to her friend.

"Alexa! Alexa!" Hermione was calling, hurrying across the street to her friend, her arms laden with the usual ton of books and a huge smile on her face. "Oh, you wouldn't believe the sale that was going on in Flourish and Blotts! I've gotten a brand-new copy of Hogwarts a History for half-price!" Hermione gushed excitedly.

Alexa groaned aloud. "Not Hogwarts a History, Hermione. Please, no."

"Oh yes! Now you can have a copy too!" she replied happily.

"Oh," Alexa said slowly, "Oh no. That's ummm.. that's quite alright, really..."

"Nonsense! I insist."

"Oh boy. Let me find a bottle to contain all of my enthusiasm."

Hermione laughed and bent down to set all of her books (There must have been at least a dozen of them.) on the ground before attacking Alexa with a massive hug.

"I've missed you!" Hermione said, hugging Alexa tighter. "I hope you've had an amazing summer!"

"I've missed you too, Herms," Alexa murmured. And oddly enough, she had.

Hermione pulled back and bent over again, retrieving her books.

"I've got to mee tHarry and the Weasley's in ten minutes at Gringotts, Al," Hermione said. "You want to come with?"

Alexa shook her head. "Nah. I've still got to pick up a few things for school."

Hermione looked disappointed and Alexa felt a tug of guilt.

"Well okay, suit yourself," Hermione said. Then she brightened and said triumphantly, "But I'll be seeing you Saturday, after all. And we can sit together on the Hogwarts Express!"

Alexa smiled. "Okay, Herms. I'll see you then."

Hermione gave Alexa one last quick hug, then waved goodbye and hurried along the streets towards Gringotts.

Alexa shook her head and laughed to herself. She had a good feeling about school this year, and she surprised herself by admitting that she couldn't wait to go back.

I'm just ready to kick some Slytherin ass in Quidditch, she said to herself.

She smirked. This might just be a good year.