Sequel: The Bride
Status: Complete ♥

Maid of Honor

Twelve ♥

“I think I love you right now!” I stated as soon as I saw Garrett standing in line for food. I wrapped my arms around the younger boy’s neck, and hugged him tightly.
“Whoa...” He chuckled, and pulled back from me. “Are you okay?”
I shrugged.
“I’m just thankful that you got me away from Julie Stone and her perfectness.”
Garrett rolled his eyes.
“Julie’s far from perfect.”
“John seems to think she is,” I retorted. I didn’t mean to, it just slipped out.
“You’ve got it bad,” He sang. “John prefers you. That much was obvious by his stupid over-protective act last night.”
“He was acting fucking weird.” I agreed.
Garrett shook his head as he accepted his food.
“Aren’t you hungry?”
I shook my head.
“No fast food.”
“You, my friend, suck.”
“Whatever, Gar. I can’t eat greasy food. You know that.”
“Just because you’re a gymnast…”
“Yes, I am,” I laughed. “Sorry that I can’t eat like a truck driver.”
“When are you retiring again?”
“After this year,” I huffed. “I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself,”
“Here’s a thought….marry John?”
“Pshhh,” I laughed. Garrett didn’t say anything, but he just stared at me. “You’re serious?”
“Why wouldn’t I be?”
“That’s just…awkward.”
“How is that awkward? You want to stop the man from getting married but you don’t want to be with him? What are you playing at, Dia?”
“John’s a big boy…he’ll bounce back.”
Garrett shook his head.
“Then I don’t think I can help out anymore.”
“What?! Garrett, stop,”
“No, Dorinda. You can’t break up his engagement and have no intentions of making him yours. That’s sick,”
“I-I don’t know exactly what I feel for John…”
“You love him,” He shrugged, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
“Yes….he’s my best friend.”
Garrett shook his head.
“Whatever. I’m not helping you until you know exactly what you want,” He stated, standing up and grabbing his food. “This lunch date is over. I’m going home.”
“Come on, Gary. Don’t be like that.” I called.
“Sorry, Dia. Destroy John and Julie by yourself. I want no part in it if you don’t love him.”
Then he was out of the burger joint.
I huffed loudly and crossed my arms over my chest. All I wanted to do was flip until I threw up. With a new wave of excitement, I slipped out from the booth and basically ran back to my car. I slipped in and I quickly drove toward the gym. I found my locker and quickly changed into my leo and a pair of shorts. I made my way out of the locker room. I sighed in relief as I saw that barely anyone was training today.
“Dorinda, what are you doing here? Today’s your day off?” Robby stated after he spotted me.
“I needed some beam therapy.” I stated, not looking at the young coach.
He nodded.
“Don’t hurt yourself, kid.”
“I’m not a kid.” I mumbled.
“Just get on the beam,”
“That depends.”
“On what exactly?”
“Are you going to bust my ass?”
“That’s a stupid answer. Of course I’m going to push you.”
“It was worth a shot.” I shrugged before I walked toward the center of the beam and lifted myself up with ease.
“Good mount.” He commented.
I rolled my eyes.
“Thanks.” I snapped. I wasn’t in the mood to be bitched and complimented at. I started a stupid routine that I knew by heart.
“Point your toes.”
“They are pointed.” I snapped with a sarcastic smile on my face. I launched myself back in a hand spring before I handed back on the beam.
“Great,” Robby nodded.
I rolled my eyes before going into an aerial on the bar. After landing it, I tucked backwards, dismounting off of the beam. Once I landed, I clung and then thew my arms up.
“Your dismount needs work.”
“Your dismount needs work.” I mocked as I walked back over to the beam. I pulled myself up. “What do you want me to do instead of the tuck?”
“A full.”
“A full? Right from my aerial?!” I snapped.
“Yes. Do it, now.”
“Fine.” I huffed before I walked to the other end. I did the aerial and went right into the full. I landed a little off and stumbled from the matt. “That’s insane.”
“Yes, but if you land it, it would look amazing.”
“Okay. I’ll work on it.”
“Yes you will. Again,” He stated.
Did I mention he made me want to pull my hair out? Yeah, he does.
“Dick.”
“Just do it.” He replied. “Now.”
I listened to Robby before I climbed back up on the beam.

An hour later, I nearly perfected my dismount and I grabbed a tank from the locker room. I slipped on my TOMS and stuck my clothes from earlier in a bag to take home with me.
“I told you that you could land it.” Robby stated, smirking at me as I walked back out into the gym.
“Whatever.” I huffed.
“Seriously, what’s eating you today? You’ve grunted and groaned out frustration since you arrived.”
“Just some problems. I’m feeling better now.” I stated with a shrug.
“When is that friend of yours getting married?”
“In just a few days,” I answered, remembering that my time was extremely limited.
“And then you’re back in the gym? You have a meet this weekend, Dorinda. It’s your last.”
“I know, because I’m too old for the Olympics. I got it.” I replied, annoyed with him. “Thanks for the reality check.”
Robby placed an arm around my shoulders.
“You’re good kid.”
“Robby, you’re like five years older. I’m not a kid.” I retorted.
He just laughed.
“Just go home and ice your body.”
“I will,” I replied before I turned around and started out of the door.
“Work on your Full. It needs help.”
“Okay. Bye this weekend, I can do a full in my sleep.”
“You better be able to,”
“I will,” I yelled before I ran out of the gym. My muscles ached, and I was just worn out. As soon as I got to my car, I sped home, so I could start on my ice bath. I really freaking hated those things, but they helped my muscles. I parked my car and walked inside. I found the huge freezer we had, and I started to unload at least eight bags of ice. It took four trips but I got them into John’s bathroom. I always use his because mine is upstairs and it would take longer. I usually am too sore to even carry them to his bathroom, let alone mine. I filled the bathtub with the ice, not even bothering to put water in there before. I kept pouring until the ice filled the bathtub. It was fairly cool in John’s bathroom, which meant the ice could take longer to melt.
I quickly ran into my room and changed into a sports bra, underwear and sweat shorts to sit in the ice with. This is my least favorite part of being a gymnast. At least when this season is over with, I’ll be able to save some money on ice. Slowly, I lowered myself into the ice pit. It was cold, and my teeth chattered, but I needed it. Robby worked me out with making turn full’s practically the entire time. They aren’t exactly the easiest thing in the world to learn how to do off of a balance beam. Twenty minutes into the ice bath, almost all of my body was numb. I had spent a lot of time thinking about what Garrett had said, and I finally came to terms that I do want John. I want him to myself. I really do have strong feelings for him. He’s obviously important enough for me to want to split him up before his wedding. There has to be some sort of feelings there.
“Dorinda? I’m home!” John yelled. “And I brought Kennedy!”
“In here!” I yelled back, not daring to move from my ice bath. Soon enough, both boys made their way into John’s room.
“Where?”
“Your bathroom, dip stick!” I smirked before they both entered.
“Tough day?” Kennedy joked.
“Oh hell yes. First your girlfriend pestered me for two hours at work, then Julie picked out some pink dress for me to wear, then I had lunch with Garrett. I had a lot of things on my mind, so I showed up at the gym where Robby busted my ass to do a full twist as a dismount. I don’t know if you know this, but that was the hardest flip for me to learn. And it’s even harder off the balance beam. My body is so sore right now.”
“So you take an ice bath?” Kennedy asked. “Sounds like torture.”
“It definitely is. But I have to land this before this weekend.”
“Awe, your last meet! Seventeen long years of doing this to your body, and you’re almost done. How does it feel?”
“Heartbreaking.” I admitted. “Are you coming, Kenny?”
He nodded.
“I’ve still yet to go to one of your meets.”
“Thanks.” I laughed, relaxing the best I could into the ice tub. “Pull up some stools and keep me company. Two hours is a long time.”
“Holy shit! Why so long?” Kennedy asked.
John just laughed.
“She’s been doing this forever.”
“It’s the recommended time length from Robby.” I shrugged. “You have no idea what I put my body though.”
“I don’t think any of us do.” John laughed.
“I’m calling over the guys! They’ve got to see how hardcore you are!”
“Wow…” I laughed, trailing off.
Kennedy walked out of the bathroom with his phone in hand, calling the guys.
“That bad?”
I nodded.
“I’m so sore, John. It’s not even funny.”
“But as soon as this bath is over with, you’re going right back on your beam, right?”
“Of course,” I laughed. “Why else would the beam be outside?” I questioned.
I had bought a beam to practice at home with. I had padding and everything so I wouldn’t hurt myself. None of the guys except for John had even seen me in action, and the last time John got to actually go watch me was right before The Maine took off. Besides that, this is the only time he was home and we had a meet. It was lucky for me. It’s my last one.
“Only for you,” He laughed. “The rest of us sure as hell can’t do what you do.”
“I know.” I giggled.
John just smiled at me while I laid in the ice. Five minutes later, Kennedy came back into the bathroom, but he wasn’t alone. Jared, Pat, and Garrett followed until the five of them took up the medium sized bathroom.
“What in the world?” Pat asked, laughing.
“She’s ‘resting’.” Kennedy explained, using air quotes.
“Looks a lot like torture,” Garrett commented.
“That’s what I said.” Kennedy nodded.
I laughed.
“And as I already explained, it is torture. But I have to do it.” I shrugged.
“You’re insane.” Jared laughed. “How long do you have to sit in here?”
“Um… an hour and thirty-five minutes,” I replied, looking up at the clock. “That’s why you guys are here…to distract me.”
John laughed.
“What should it be tonight?”
“You guys and just start talking. I rather enjoy that.” I laughed.
I loved their banter.
Only an hour and thirty-five minutes to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Thoughts?

xoxo Rae Marie