Sequel: The Bride
Status: Complete ♥

Maid of Honor

Fourteen ♥

“I seriously need a plan, guys. I seriously have no idea what I want to do. I’m out of ideas,” I stated as I paced in front of Garrett, Kennedy, and Maria.
“Why don’t you take some ideas from that Julia Roberts movie?” Kennedy suggested. “She almost got the guy,”
“Yeah, but she almost lost him forever too.” I stated.
“If you think about it…you might just lose him too,” Garrett warned.
“I know, I know.” I groaned. “Okay, I have the gymnastics meet this weekend. We’ve got three days to fill in between.”
“Take them to a karaoke bar!” Maria stated, standing up.
“I can’t do that!” I shrieked. “John knows I hate karaoke.”
“Then give Julie the idea and tell her to make it seem like her own. John loves karaoke.” Garrett added.
“You guys are amazing!” I yelled, jumping up. “I have an thirteen hour day at the gym tomorrow. So I have to go…like now,” I stated.
“It’s only eight?” Maria laughed.
“And I have to be at the gym at eight in the morning. You do the math sweetheart,” I laughed. “I have to be in bed by nine.”
“Go have fun sleeping,” Kennedy called as I ran out of Kennedy’s house.
I’ve got to plant this idea in Julie’s brain.


“Ow,” I complained as I sat down on across from Maria after another eight hour day at the gym.
“Are you that sore?”
I nodded my head.
“Robby has been busting my ass on this full. He doesn’t think that my double back is working.”
“The double back is the two back flips, right?”
“That would be correct.” I answered. “Guess where Julie invited me tonight?”
“Where?” Maria questioned, rolling her eyes.
“She invited me to a fucking karaoke bar with them tonight. John knows I hate karaoke! He suggested that she invited me!”
“Whoa, calm down.”
“How in the hell can I calm down when my plan actually worked?!”
“Dia…you can sing your ass off. You and I both know that. I also happen to know that Julie can sing too.”
“Shit.” I sighed.
“I also know something elseeee.” Maria sang playfully.
“What else do you know?”
“I know the person in charge if you three are going to Riley’s.”
“Are you serious?!” I asked, looking at her with wide eyes.
“Yes!” She giggled. “You need to do a cover to Shadows of the Night from Pat Benatar. We know that you rock at that song.”
“You do…but you know which two people don’t?” I smirked in her direction.
“John and Julie,”
I nodded.
“Hell to the yes,”
“What are you going to wear?”
“Something…more me,” I chose my words carefully. “I know for a fact that Julie’s going to be wearing some pretty, and I need to stand out.
“How about that chain vest you got in the store a while back.”
“Would that look okay?”
“Oh my gosh…you need my help. Come on, gymnast lady.”
“Veryyyy original, Mar.”
“Thanks.” Maria laughed before she pulled me out of the both. I swept up my ‘I ♥ Gymnastics’ bag, and followed the model. “We’re going to your store,” She answered before I even asked.
“Mariaaaa,”
“Dorindaaaa,” She mocked. “Come on, Dia. This is the perfect opertunity to knock John off of his feet! You can do this.”
“I can’t…this is a terrible idea.”
Then I felt a hand on the side of my face and the sting it left behind. I placed my own hand on my cheek.
“WHAT THE FUCK?!” I snapped.
“You need to pull yourself together. John doesn’t want to fucking marry Julie. He wants you! We all see it! Dammt, Dorinda, he’s been in love with you for a whole lot longer than I’ve known any of you,” The temporary red head shouted at me.
I stood there wide eyed at my best friend. She not only just hit me, but yelled at me too. That doesn’t happen very often.
“Okay.” I nodded weakly and stayed quiet as I followed her down the street and into my store. I was careful about what I said as I let Maria dress me for tonight. She fixed my hair and my make-up all the while I sat in silence.
“Could you please say something? You’ve been quiet for like the past hour,” Maria huffed. “I’m not pissed at you, you know? I just needed you to calm down.”
I looked at her and she had her puppy dog face on.
“I know,” I sighed deeply. “How much longer do we have?”
“What time did she say to meet you at Riley’s?”
“At 8:30,”
“Perfect. You have fifteen minutes to get there.”
“I guess I better get going.” I stated, looking out at my car.
“You probably should.” Maria nodded. “Good luck…”
“Thanks, Mar,” I replied before I hugged her tightly. I got into my car and I drove slowly to Riley’s. I needed to be at least ten minutes late in order to make an impression. My hands were shaking as I got out of the car. “I seriously can’t do this.” I whispered. I turned to get back in my car, but something in my head told me to go in there. I turned back around and walked into Riley’s. My conscience was yelling for me to stop the entire time. What I’ve been doing to John is wrong. It’s extremely wrong. But…I want John to myself. And that means that Julie will be pushed to the side. Somehow, I didn’t feel as bad as I probably should. I saw them at a table, but it wasn’t just the two of them. Julie’s parents and John’s parents were both there. I took in a deep breath before I walked over to the table.
“[url=http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=33307164Dorinda Grace[/url], you made it,” Big John announced, the first to spot me.
“Hey, everyone,” I said happily as I sat down at the only available seat at the big table they were occupying.
“Where have you been?” Bob joked.
“At the gym,” I replied.
“You have that big meet this weekend, right?” Julie asked.
I nodded and smiled.
“I do. My couch has been busting my ass at practice. I walked into the gym this morning at six and left at seven. Then I had to quickly get cleaned up and presentable…which is the reason why I’m late.” I laughed nervously. A waiter walked over to our table and I noticed I was the only one without a drink.
“What can I get you?”
“Just get her a wa-.”
I interrupted John quickly.
“A rum and coke would be wonderful.” I sighed.
He smiled and walked off.
“You are actually drinking?”
I sure did need something to get me up on that stage later.
“You would too if you have a thirteen hour day of flipping and listening to an angry gymnast yell at you.”
“He doesn’t sound like he’s that nice.” Renee commented.
“He’s not. You think football coaches are bad? Wait until you see Robby.” I retorted. The waiter brought back my drink and I instantly took a big gulp. It wasn’t the healthiest thing in the world, but it sure did make me feel better.
“I really want to karaoke now.” Julie stated. She stood up and told the DJ. He nodded and handed her a mic. The music started and Julie sang along to I’m A Slave For You by Britney Spears song. She danced along, and people cheered for her. I honestly almost rolled my eyes at her. I couldn’t wait to show her up. John’s not that impressed with today’s mainstream music. So, Britney’s not that big of a deal. Julie was good, I wasn’t going to lie. The girl could sing…but she’s just so…she gets on my nerves. She’s my competition.
“As a tradition…” John started off as soon as Julie sat back down. The place was clapping and cheering. “Everyone must take a turn on the karaoke stage…except for Dorinda.”
I pouted.
“Why do you gotta always knock me out?”
“Cause you hate karaoke.” He answered, laughing. “You would never get up there on that stage.”
I scoffed and drank more of my drink. I sat the glass down and smirked at him.
“Watch me.” I stated before I stood up and walked over to the DJ. “You must be Aaron. I’m Dia, Maria’s friend.”
He nodded.
“Just grab the mic. I know the song.” He winked at me.
I took a deep breath and I grabbed the mic. The music started, and I stood in place. Everyone turned toward me, and I felt sort of nervous. I looked around and John was looking at me curiously. As confidently as I could I started out the first lines that happened to also be in the chorus.

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end.


John’s eyes widened slightly. I think he liked it so far. I started the first verse and I started toward their table.

You said, oh, girl, it's a cold world
When you keep it all to yourself
I said, you can't hide on the inside
All the pain you've ever felt

Ransom my heart, baby, don't look back
'Cause we got nobody else


I was dancing around the floor, moving my body.

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end.


I reached the table, and I did something that I didn’t expect myself to do. I stepped up on my chair, and I walked up on table. Which was totally okay here, because they allowed that sort of thing…it is a karaoke bar.

You know that sometimes it feels like
It's all moving way too fast


I moved to where I was squatting in front of John and I was singing right in his face, using my spit fire attitude to prove a point.

Use every alibi and words you deny
That love ain't meant to last

You can cry tough, baby, it's all right
You can let me down easy, but not tonight.


As I held the last note, I brought my body back up easily with a body roll. I knew it was sexy, I’m a gymnast and I know which moves are too sexy to use in a routine. After I stood back up, I jumped off of the table and I started to sing as I walked around the bar.

[Chorus]
We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

And now the hands of time are standin' still
Midnight angel, won't you say you will

[Chorus]
We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

We're running with the shadows of the night
So, baby, take my hand, it'll be all right...


I ended the song and held the note before the music was over. I was breathing hard. I looked around the bar. Everyone was going wild, which made my cheeks heat up quickly. John sat there with his mouth hanging open, but his hands were going wild. I walked back over to Aaron and handed him back the mic.
“That was the best karaoke I’ve heard in a while. You should consider going pro.”
I shook my head and glanced toward my table.
“I’ll leave that to my best friend.” I replied. Aaron laughed, understanding what I meant. “Thanks anyway. That was a lot of fun.”
“No, thank you.” He laughed.
I smiled and turned around before making my way back to the table. I sat down, ignoring their stares and I waved the waiter over.
“I’ll have another one of these.” I stated. He nodded and went to get me another rum and coke.
“Where in the fuck did that voice from?!” John was the first to speak.
I smirked.
“My throat,” I retorted.
“Since when do you like karaoke?” Momma Ohh asked, laughing. “Not that you didn’t do great, but honey….that was something else. I’ve never seen this place so crazy.”
“That’s because the drunks can’t sing.” Big John commented.
“What about you, Dia. Are you drunk?” Renee joked.
“Definitely not drunk enough to ever do that again,” I admitted. My second drink arrived again.
“That was really good. Like…you blew me out of the ball park,” Julie replied sincerely.
I smiled at the girl whos life I was going to ruin in just a matter of five days.
“Awe…I’m not that good.” I blushed. “You were amazing too, Julie.”
“Thanks, but gosh…” She laughed. “You’re great.”
“Thanks.” I laughed.
“What made you get up and do that now?” Bob asked me.
I made a point of looking right into John’s eyes.
“I’d figure I’d take a chance on something I never considered before.”
“You’ve got guts, kid,” John stated, lifting his cup of whisky in the air toward me. “Mad props,”
“Thank ya.”
“What can I do to convince you to do that again sometime?” John laughed.
“Buy me a beer and I’ll be up there again in no time,” I joked.
“Waiter!” John yelled. He came over.
“Yes, sir?”
“Can we get this gorgeous lady a Bud Light?”
“Be right back.” He nodded.
“Thanks John Ohh.”
“You’re welcome.” He chuckled and smiled at me. “Who’s next?”
“Definitely not me,” Momma Ohh stated. “I can’t swing my hips like a used to.” She stated, sending a playful wink over my way. My cheeks heated up again, and she pulled me into a hug. “You were wonderful, Dorinda Grace.”
“Again…thanks.” I blushed even redder and downed the rest of my drink. I just wanted to stop getting embarrassed. When I get embarrassed, I tend to be all shy. I hate when I’m shy.
“I am…wow. You blew me away.” John smirked over at me.
I swore I saw him wink.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!

Song of the Day: Shadows of the Night - Pat Benatar.

xoxo Rae Marie