Sequel: The Bride
Status: Complete ♥

Maid of Honor

Twenty ♥

I walked down main street toward my small clothing store where both Julie and
Maria
were waiting for me. I tried to walk as slowly as possible. I didn’t want to face Julie after telling John that she wasn’t the girl for him. It just felt weird. I’ve never felt so insecure and low around someone before, and it is honestly killing me. They’re going to be the death of me.
“Sorry I’m late,” I apologized to mostly Julie. Maria knew that I was sleeping in over at her house.
“It’s okay,” Julie laughed. “Maria was just telling me about how you and Kennedy were catching up.”
“Yeah, he’s my other best friend…besides John.” I laughed nervously.
Julie pouted.
“He’s been acting weird lately.”
“What do you mean?” Maria questioned while looking at me playfully.
“He’s been like unusually quiet. He barely wants to do anything anymore.”
“I-I have no idea.” I lied, looking at Julie. “Just…give him some time. Don’t try to be around him all of the time,”
“But John always wants me to call him. We usually have lunch like every day.”
I took in a deep breath.
“Trust me, Julie. He doesn’t want that when he’s down,” I lied. “I mean, who knows him the best?”
“I-I guess you do…” Julie looked at me with an unsure expression. I just smiled sweetly back at her, and slowly she started to smile. “Do you promise?”
“Yes,” I laughed. “He’s just being a boy. He tends to get a little…overworked about certain things.”
“Okay.” She smiled. “Thank God I have you to help me with John. He’s just so confusing sometimes.”
Maria smiled at us.
“Awe, John’s girls being all best friends and stuff,” She winked at me.
“I think Dia and I are going to be best friends,” She laughed. “Is it…okay if I call you Dia?”
I bit my lip.
“I would personally prefer Doe or Dorinda…” I trailed off. “Nothing against you obviously, but I just have known the people who call me Dia longer.”
Julie laughed.
“It’s okay, I understand. I’ve been known as Jewls to my friends growing up.”
“See,” I laughed.
“I do,” She giggled. “You both are coming to the rehearsal dinner tomorrow night, right?”
“Of course, I wouldn’t miss it.” I laughed. “Maid of honor and all that jazz,”
“Great!” Julie laughed. “I hate to leave, but I really have to jet. My mom and I are picking up the wedding dress from the designer.”
“Okay. By, Julie,” Maria called.
“Bye,” I added with a small wave as she smiled at the two of us and walked out of my closed clothing store. “UGH!” I groaned.
“I…am really proud of you! You just straight up lied to her face! A year ago, you couldn’t do that! That’s just…bravo.”
I felt an uncomfortable twist in my stomach.
“I…Maria…I feel really bad. Like…I could seriously start crying.”
“Don’t you want John?”
“Not this way,” I huffed and shook my head. “I’m going to clear my head.”
“Where are you going?”
“To visit my dad,” I replied before I walked out of the building.


“Dorinda Grace…” My weak dad smiled at me from his bed.
I smiled over at him, and sat down in the chair beside him.
“Hi, daddy,” I replied, slipping my palm into his own.
“How have you been, baby girl?”
“How have you been?” I asked, ignoring his question.
“I’ve been better. It’s harder to walk that normal.” He shrugged. “But it’s easier with the help of Sara,”
“She baby’s you,” I joked.
“Best nurse in the world.” He chuckled. “I wish you would come see me more often,”
“I know, I need too,” I commented, looking around his bedroom. “John’s getting married,”
“To you I hope,” My dad joked.
“Not even close,” I sighed. “I’m the maid of honor .”
“You’re kidding right?”
“No, I’m not, daddy.” I shook my head. “Her name is Julie and she’s simply perfect.”
My dad studied my expression.
“He’s never going to love someone as much as he loves you,” I stared at my dad with my mouth hanging open slightly. “Don’t give me that look, Dorinda. You know as well as I do that John loves you with all of his heart. The poor kid has been in love with you since you met.”
“How could you tell?” I found myself asking him.
“I know the look of love when I see it.” My dad laughed. “And it was a dead giveaway when he asked you to marry him when he was sixteen.”
“Well I might have sort of be in love with him…a little bit-ish.” I rambled, blushing slightly.
“I know that you do,” He sighed heavily.
“He’s getting married in two days, daddy.”
“You’re going to stop him, right?”
“I’ve been doing nothing but plotting against them the entire time,” I admitted. “I’ve done some things that I’m not exactly proud of,”
“Does John know?”
“No…” I shook my head.
“Then can I give you some very reasonable advice, Dia?”
“What dad?” I questioned, looking up at my paralyzed father.
“Tell John that you’re head over heels in love with him.”
“I’m scared,”
“Don’t be. The worst thing that could happen is him saying no,”
I looked up at him and sighed heavily.
“That makes me feel a whole lot better,” I replied sarcastically.
“Rejection is a part of life, but John would have to be insane to reject someone like you. You belong with him, honey.”
“Thanks, daddy,” I sighed before I removed my hand from his limp one. “But I think that car hit you too hard.”
“I wouldn’t doubt it,” He joked. “I love you, Dorinda. Do the right thing.”
“I’ll try.”
Surprisingly, I was even more confused than normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
NEW CHAPTER!!!
Maria: Julie:
COMMENT!

xoxo Rae Marie