Midnight Fatality

One

Sirens go off in the distance as I walk home. The gunshots had rung out earlier, someone had been hit. Maybe killed. More gunshots rang out through the neighborhood, they were loud.

Like they were up the street from me almost, either way that didn’t matter; my house wasn’t very far away maybe two minutes at the absolute most.

“Get away from me!” A woman’s voice screamed ripping through the nearly silent night. More screams echoed the one, probably all by the same poor woman.

“Step away from her.” Another voice demanded, sounding more business-like, almost like a cop. Come to think of it, in this part of town it probably was a cop. The woman cried again, sounding almost pitiful, like she was crying. “I mea-“ the cop was cut off as more gunshots rang out. Deep inside of me I had a feeling that I would never hear the cops voice again, nor the woman’s screams.

I looked around quickly as I sidled up to the side of my house. My eyes darted around nervously, looking for anything that could be a sign of trouble. Of course in East Los Angeles past midnight everything could be a sign of trouble. I dug the key out of my pocket quickly and jammed it in the door before twisting it. Within moments I was inside, the key was in my hand and the door was not just shut, but dead bolted.

On the other side of the thin wall that separated me from a woman and her child I could hear the child start to cry and scream in agony as I slipped off my shoes and shut off my lights. I would find my way to my room in the dark. I would live to see another day on the wild side of Los Angeles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated <3