Status: finished

Will Things Ever Change?

Evicted

I clutched my daughter's hand in mine as we walked up to our apartment door. The elevator was broken again so we had to take the stairs up to the fifth floor.

"Mommy what's that on the door?" Belle asked me. I ripped the piece of paper off and opened the door. I put my bags down on the floor and sat on the sofa as Belle flipped through the channels. I finally opened the piece of paper and my heart sank. We're getting evicted? I know I've been behind in paying a couple of bills and I haven't paid this months rent yet, but I can't believe they're giving us 30 days to pack our shit and leave. I tried to stifle the tears that were starting to form. We have no where else to go. I can't afford to move anywhere else. We'll end up living out of our car. I could go back to Huntington, but I'm not ready to face the things I swore to leave behind. Even after five years thinking about everything still brings tears to my eyes.

"Mommy" I looked down at Belle she reached up and wiped tears from my eyes. I didn't even notice I was crying. "Mommy don't cry. What's wrong?"

"We're gonna have to move Beauty"

"Why"

"They don't want us here anymore." She moved into my lap and I stroked her hair.

"Where are we gonna go?"

"I don't know Beauty. I'll find somewhere I promise." She just nodded and laid down on my chest. I continued to stroke her hair. I looked down at her, she looked so much like him. Just thinking about him and about how he was able to make everyone I ever cared about turn against me, made me want to cry. But he gave me Belle and I'm thankful for that. Because of her I swallowed my pride and went to the phone to dial the phone number I would have died to forget. The phone rang as I sucked in my breath.

"Hello?" I sighed in relief hearing the voice I had always loved to here.

"Ms. Baker"

"Yes, who is this?"

"I-Its Dawn" I stuttered

"Goodness Dawn it's been at least five years, I never expected to hear from you again."

"Me neither, but I have no one to turn too and I really need help."

"Oh my what's wrong?"

"We've been evicted from our apartment."

"Whose we?"

"He never told you?" I sighed "Me and my daughter Belle and we have no where to go, I can't afford anything else I was fired from my job. We'll end up living in our car."

"Dawn you can stay with me until you can get back on your feet, you're like the daughter I wish I had, you know my door is always open. You should know that."

"I know."

"Don't worry Hun I won't tell anyone you're back, but you know they're going to find out anyway sooner or later, but we'll cross that path when we get there."

"Alright"

"Where are you?"

"Washington, but I know how to get back."

"That's good I'll be waiting to see you again and meet Belle. And hopefully you'll be able to tell me why you ran off."

"Of course, thank you so much."

"Anytime sweetheart. I'll see you soon." We said our goodbyes and I went back to the couch. Belle was still watching TV.

"Mommy are you feeling better?"

"Yes Belle and guess what, we're moving to California." I tried to sound as happy as possible.

"Ya! I can't wait." She hugged me as tight as she could. I gave the fake st smile I could muster.

Belle's new heaven was going to be my hell
♠ ♠ ♠
I would really love to know what people think of this story