Status: finished

Will Things Ever Change?

Trying Again

I opened the door and Belle instantly ran to Mom (Ms. Baker practically raised me so I just started calling her mom).

"Grandma guess what? I met one of Mama's old friends today." She was whipping her hands off on her apron. I could tell she just put a cake in the oven.

"Oh really? Who?"

"Val"

"Really?"

"Yeah out of all the people in Huntington, she just happened to be the one to find Belle when we got separated, what are the odds?" I said in annoyance. She gave me a look.

"Belle why don't you watch some TV. I'll let you frost the cake later."

"Okay." She ran off into the other room.

"So? How do you feel about this?"

"Mom I'm pissed off about this. But she's coming over later. She wants to catch up. And I don't even want to be on the same continent as her."

"Dawn you know you don't really mean that. You miss her just as bad as she misses you."

"I miss my best friend not the person that abandoned me five years ago. I don't think I can trust her ever again."

"Well all you can do is hear her out, and then you can decide for yourself. Belle seems to like her."

"I know that's why I agreed to let her come over." She patted my shoulder.

"Just give Val a chance. I doubt you'll regret it. When is she coming over?"

"She didn't give a specific time she just said later." As if right on cue the doorbell rang. I groaned.

"Be nice."

"I'll try."

I walked to the door and opened it. Val stood on the front steps, looking down at her shoes.

"Hi Val."

"Hi."

"Come in." She walked in and I shut the door after her.

"Val!" Belle got up and hugged her. "Why are you here?"

"Hey sweetie. I'm here to talk to your mom remember." She put her hand on her chin trying to think about it.

"No." We both stifled a laugh. And looked at each other. My smile instantly turned into a frown.

"You wanted to talk so lets go."

"Mama can I come?"

"No Beauty but you can help Grandma with the cake."

"Alright." She rushed off into the kitchen.

"We should talk out back." We walked through the kitchen and out the back door. I felt the grass between my toes as I walked barefoot. We walked towards the tree all of us used to sit at. We both sat down and put or backs to it. We were sitting in silence until I broke it. "Well you're the one that wanted to talk so start talking." I really didn't care if I sounded rude. She sighed and started talking.

"Dawn I'm really sorry for everything I put you through. I don't want you to forgive me. I just want you to know why I didn't defend you that day." She sucked in her breath. I noticed her lip was trembling. "I was scared. Hearing the guys talk about everything made it clear that they had their minds made up, and nothing I would have said would have mattered. I didn't want to lose them. I didn't want to lose Matt." I could tell she was about to cry. "I just love him so much and I was afraid of losing him. I know now that it still wasn't an excuse to betray you like that. If he really loved me he would have supported me but I never even gave it a chance. I know you didn't cheat on Zack nor would you have ever cheated on him, he meant the world to you and I'm so sorry I didn't try to con vice him and the rest of the guys. I would do anything to take it back." Tears were streaming down her cheeks and smearing her make up. She started whipping them away and I then noticed tears were starting to fall from my eyes too. "The day you left still replays in my mind. I should have stopped you. I just felt so guilty, I didn't know what to do."

Val's POV

I sat on the sofa flipping through the channels as I tried to drown out the sounds of the thunder outside and my sister's loud phone conversation with Brian. The thunder made a loud cracking noise and I jumped. I heard a loud banging, I just thought was the thunder so I ignored it. I heard it again, so I went to the front to door. I opened it to find Dawn standing on my front step completely soaked.

"Dawn?" She had a look of complete hopelessness plastered on her face. She just shoved a guitar case into my arms and started to walk away towards her car. I put the case down and ran after her. "Dawn what are you doing?"

"I'm leaving, I'm obviously not wanted so I'm leaving."

"Dawn don't do this."

"Like you fucking care! You obviously believe I was cheating on Zack even though you know the truth."

"Dawn I-"

"Just shut up! You knew that I wasn't around as often because I got a job. You knew I didn't want anyone to know because I was going to surprise Zack by buying him the new guitar that he's been dying to have. You could have told them then Val. You should have. They would have listened to you. My parents kicked me out. I have no where to go!"

"You don't have to leave."

"What other option do I have? I'm clearly not wanted here." She started to walk away again.

"Dawn please-"

"Just tell Zack the guitar's from you, he probably wont touch it if he really knew who it was from."

"We can work this out Dawn just stay."

"Have a nice life Valary." That was the last thing she said to me before she got into her car and drove off. Leaving me soaked in the rain


Dawn's POV

I just sat and watched as Val whipped a few tears from her cheek. And I did the last thing I ever thought I would do. I hugged her. "I forgive you."

She looked at me shocked "You do?"

"There's no point in staying mad at you the guys are a different story. I understand why. I wouldn't have done it but I understand. I know how much Matt means to you and I know you'd do anything not to lose him. That was the way I felt about Zack. I knew the day I left you would have taken everything back if you could have but I was to stubborn. You know I'm stubborn." That got her to laugh a little. I smirked.

"So are we cool?"

I nodded "I think we can try being friends again. I really did miss you Val."

"I did too." We ended up hugging again and I ended up telling her what Me and Belle have been doing for the past five years.

"I'm really sorry, I caused this."

"Val stop blaming yourself. What's done is done." She nodded.

"Lets go out!"

"What? Way to change the subject Val."

"Oh come on. Some best friend time won't hurt you."

"I know but I just don't want to crash into the guys."

"Then we won't." I bite me lip.

"Fine let me just check with Mom first." She nodded and we both got up and went back into the kitchen. They were both frosting the cake. "Mom can I go out with Val?"

"Well I see you two are on good terms now. Go ahead. I want some time with my granddaughter anyway." I smiled wide.

"Thanks Mom." I hugged her tight trying not to get frosting on me in the process.

"Thanks Ms. Baker." Val said overly excited

"No problem girls." With that Val dragged me up the stairs so we could get ready.